Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Throttle Body Spacer Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 09:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got mine from Designed Chaos Engineering he had it listed on ebay but I got a hold of him and bought one from him.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by cwhealon78
I got mine from Designed Chaos Engineering he had it listed on ebay but I got a hold of him and bought one from him.

If you or anyone for that matter can provide a link or phone number it would be very helpful.

100 bucks for 8HP =

Old 09-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
I’m pretty sure all the test units are accounted for (Derek, I know Dave is working on getting yours)...

For others that have asked about getting one - since it appears the Ebay ad I saw initially isn't running, I will look into getting a group buy together...

Old 09-03-2007, 10:23 PM
the only ones that seem to be listed on ebay right now are generic units like obx w/ smoother machining on the inside, that don't look like the prototypes posted on the first page. hmmm. More info would be appreciated on possible group buys/more detials OC!

Old 09-03-2007, 10:30 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
the only ones that seem to be listed on ebay right now are generic units like obx w/ smoother machining on the inside, that don't look like the prototypes posted on the first page. hmmm. More info would be appreciated on possible group buys/more detials OC!
I'm working on it bro... It has been a 4-month process to get this far... Unfortunately this particular unit isn't an off the shelf retail piece so it's not quite so easy to get... it might be down the road?... I will keep you posted...

Old 09-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
I'm working on it bro... It has been a 4-month process to get this far... Unfortunately this particular unit isn't an off the shelf retail piece so it's not quite so easy to get... it might be down the road?... I will keep you posted...

Do you have an estimated time to production? month? 6 months? just a pipe dream?

Old 09-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by cwhealon78
The one posted in the pic seems to be the one we all have tried the purpose of the grooves is to help the air make the turn more easily by adding a twisting motion to the air.
The grooves or rifling of the TB spacer is quite bogus because the air will not spin or create a vortex as it travels through the bore. What will happen is the air will become turbulent along the leading edge the groove, but a majority of the air will flow through normally like it would through any other pipe. I have no idea where these guys create the notion that rifling a bore like that of gun will somehow spin the air like a bullet

Originally Posted by Dsskyline
I understand what you are saying I plan on doing a before and after track runs.

The tracks here in cali suck because of the high elevation and crappy track conditions (prep).

I don't expect the TSB to really drop your overall ETs considering if you launch exactly the same way everytime. I think everything has to be the same everytime before and after to actually see if it works at the track.

I know most people here don't drag race so I quess it's about overall feel when driving everyday that they feel the gains.

I know most of the tracks in the LA area aren't that great, but most of us throughout the nation have to contend with the same issues like elevation and temp. Regardless, please do test this mod at the track for those of us that need more than just butt dynos. The mod is so simple to install/uninstall that you should be able to do the switch between passes. It doesn't matter what the conditions are like because you're going to be running on the same day so everything else should be a constant. Launch the same way everytime. The indicator of power will be trapspeed, not ET. ET is wildly variable depending on traction, but MPH will hardly vary at all regardless of 60 foot. MPH is the indicator of if the car has gained power or not.

I'd test the mod myself, but I've given up on trusting peoples butt dynos. I've been burned on way too mods for the VQ in the past (UDPs, grounding kits, true dual exhausts, intakes).

Old 09-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
Well, couldn't you say that about most of our NA mods? Not sure where you are going with that statement

Mike, I will definately give the TB spacer a shot once I have the chance. After all the chit-chatting about the results, I am very looking forward to testing one out. But I will also try to be as open minded about the results as you would expect.

I really don't mind at all, especially considering how basic & cheap a TB spacer is

I know, most mods for N/A aren't significant gains if any... But every mods i've put on i take it to the track to see if there are any improvements... With the mods i've done i've had gains and loses in the 1/4... Just want people to understand and THINK before they take peoples' words...

If u want the TB spacer than rock it... I'm not saying don't get it...

Old 09-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
DaveB

I understand how a gun works with the rifling I am a small arms instructor.

I did say I guess that's how it works and I knocked it the same as you are doing when it was first shown to me since that is what it looks like.

I don't even know if it will work with FI I will find out when I get my car retuned in a few weeks with dyno results.

How much higher of a trap speed are you expecting from a $100 mod to say it shows gains?

I know some people who have spent hundreds on N/A mods and only raised their trap by 2-6mph or lost the same.

I love to drag race because it's fun, but most people don't drag their G and could care less unless there are before and after dynos to show gains if any or some reviews from others before they buy.

I'm just posting what my impressions are and the people I know that have it installed in my area.

I will test it when I go to the track in the next month or so.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i want one... come on WHEN and WHERE?!??!

Old 09-04-2007, 01:40 AM
How thick are these spacers? Do they affect the angle of the intake tube to make it straighter?

Old 09-04-2007, 11:27 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Dsskyline
DaveB

I understand how a gun works with the rifling I am a small arms instructor.

I did say I guess that's how it works and I knocked it the same as you are doing when it was first shown to me since that is what it looks like.
I know and I agree with you. It just didn't come out right

How much higher of a trap speed are you expecting from a $100 mod to say it shows gains?
I'd expect to see at least 1mph and a .1 drop if people can really feel a difference. My plenum spacer was good for a solid 1.5mph.

I love to drag race because it's fun, but most people don't drag their G and could care less unless there are before and after dynos to show gains if any or some reviews from others before they buy.
I know most people don't drag race their cars and many rely on dynos to justify if a mod works. That's great if the mod can show consistent gains on every type of dyno. The gains for a mod like a plenum spacer seems to be repeatable on most any dyno (the gains vary due to the type of dyno used). We saw the same thing with Y-pipes on Maximas. You throw a Y-pipe on a 95-01 Maxima and you're guaranteed to see a 8-12whp/wtq gain everytime. When it comes to these spacers, it's my understanding that Shawn Church was the only one to ever see gains on the dyno and then later on, the gains seemed to have disappeared. I don't think Shawn has any need or purpose to inflate the numbers, but there is something about his dyno that tends to kick out some really high numbers. Historically, Gs and Zs that run on his dyno tend to have by far the highest numbers across the nation.

I know that OCG35, DaveO, and others feel that this mod, like others (intakes, e-fan conversion), is a "take it or leave it" type of mod. Basically if you don't believe the numbers or the responses from people that have the mod, then simply don't do it. That's fine for a lot of people, but for others, there needs to be some consistent, repeatable, and convincing numbers on a dyno or the strip. I know that Hydrazine (Motordyne owner) has put these spacers under his tests and he came up with no gains, therefore he won't be making them.

I'll leave it at that and I look forward to seeing your results, whether good or bad.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, when I was asked to try the throttle body spacer, I was quite skeptical, to say the least. I had read the thread about the throttle body spacer a few times over and had dismissed the said as waste of time and money.

However, due to the amount of respect, which I held for the person asking me to try the TB spacer . . . I figured, what the heck . . . I have nothing to lose. So, I agreed to try the said part. I paid for the part and was afforded a money back guarantee if I was not satisfied. My only concern, at this point, was how I was going to let a friend down easily when I told him that the part did not work. Oh well, I would deal with that later.

The TB spacer arrived some 3 days later. It took about 20 minutes for me to install it. After having installed the 'BB' TB spacer, I knew exactly how and where I was going to test this new mod.

On my daily drive home everyday, I encounter a steep uphill and twisty mountain road. It is on this particular road, on a straight section, that my G always fails me. Perhaps, it's my car, but my G's throttle response always lags when I drop the pedal, as I exit this one turn. At times, it is almost as if the car stutters a bit prior to any throttle response. I have spoken to a couple of people and I have been told that this occurrence is a trait of the 6MTs.

In any event, I drove my car down to the bottom of the mountain and proceeded to double back up the same. When I reached the straight section, I jumped on the gas pedal. Hmmmm and a smile was my initially response. I repeated this for another 4 passes, at which time, I was quite satisfied with my personal testing and drove home.

Upon arriving at home, I called my friend and told him to cash my check, which he had been holding . . . Followed with my experience with the 'BB' TB spacer.

For myself, the 'BB' TB spacer affords much improved, if not, immediate throttle response between 2k to 3k rpm, whereas before, I anticipated the throttle response in this particular section of road . . . And yes, the throttle response has improved overall. The lag is gone. It's been some 3 weeks since I have installed this part and I am quite pleased with this new mod of mine.

No smoking tires or neck breaking performance . . . My car is simply a better daily driver, now . . . That's all.

Edit: During my test, I mainly concentrated on the 2nd and 3rd gears while in the rpm range of 2k to 3k.

Specs on my car: '05 6MT, MREV+ w/ 5/16" plenum spacer, Stillen Air Box fitted with a JWT popcharger, HKS Hi-Power Ti exhaust.

Last edited by Andy2434; 09-05-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:09 PM
all these good reviews for a product that is not for
sale as of yet lol.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
all these good reviews for a product that is not for
sale as of yet lol.
LOL . . . Good point, Jon. I don't know where this particular part originated from. And even if I did, I would not mention it. LOL . . . I don't want to be accused of being a salesperson for this particular mod. I was simply asked to try it out. I had no expectations on this part. It cost me some $90.00. Compared to a Z tube, filters, etc. . . . It was definitely a worthwhile mod for me.

It definitely gave me better throttle response in the lower ranges, as I had mentioned. It wasn't difficult for me to determine the results, because I had little to no throttle response in the said rpm range and under the said scenario.

I trust that you Bar exam studies are going well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Spacer Review