Throttle Body Spacer Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice review guys.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you know.. http://www.alteredatmosphere.com sells throttle body spacer.. but its not "rifled".

Old 09-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so should we start a list of ppl waiting for this? haha

Old 09-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Nice review. But wouldn't a mod that can be "felt" should also be capable of being measured on a dyno?

Old 09-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
As I've said before, butt dynos are worthless.

You say the actual dyno's showed no improvements right? Soo.......

Old 09-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by App6MT
100% not trying to be a jerk

But if so many people (20?) have it, why is it that we have no idea where they came from? I don't believe in Christmas elves.
read the 1st post and read the link I provided early on... it explains everything.

I am working on getting a hold of the manufacture to let you guys know how to go about getting one.

As soon as I have viable info for purchasing I will post... until then there isn’t anything I can do - and nothing is being withheld...

To the dyno questions... it has been dyno'd 4 or 5 times with various results... I don’t manufacture this thing so I'm not going to debate about its worth. My review here and my info on the other thread I linked in earlier post in addition to the other beta testers that have posted has enough information for any individual to decide for themselves whether they would be interested in this as well.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:41 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by madchef

who are you addressing the question to?... If it's me, the answer is no... read post above.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Littering and...
Originally Posted by OCG35

I am working on getting a hold of the manufacture to let you guys know how to go about getting one.

As soon as I have viable info for purchasing I will post... until then there isn’t anything I can do - and nothing is being withheld...

Old 09-06-2007, 12:45 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by spddmn124
you know.. http://www.alteredatmosphere.com sells throttle body spacer.. but its not "rifled".
What's interesting is that AAM doesn't market the spacer as a performance part. Instead, it's marketed for being able to inject nitrous and/or hook up various gauges. There's nothing on thier site that says it adds power or improves throttle response. Once the world spreads that G35 owners are buying these things as a performance mod, I'm sure their marketing will change with regards to it's benefits.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:57 AM
AAM's spacer is primarily for FI applications. It has a vacuum tap for items like the UTEC MAP sensor. That's why I got it.

As for the "turbulence inducing" TB spacers, I don't know if OCG35 is counting me as one of the 20 reviewers, but I used to have one pre-FI. The one thing that still intrigues me to this day is the change it caused in intake sound. I think we had a discussion about that a while back...without the spacer, my cone filter would only whistle around 4000 RPM. With the spacer, it whistled across almost the entire RPM range (1500+). No one could explain this. I think some of the skeptics said that there was no way it could be from the TB spacer (had to be something else, like my plenum spacer), but come on guys, that's one observation that's hard to argue with. A cone filter's whistle is directly related to airflow. If you install "part x", regardless of what it is, and the filter whistles with three times the pitch, it's not a stretch to hypothesize that part x somehow, some way increased airflow.

P.S. the one I had is for sale at amazon, and it's only $90. One bad thing is that it comes with hex head bolts, and it's extremely difficult to torque the bolt in the lower right part of the TB. I replaced that one with an allen head bolt (6 mm x 80 mm) from boltdepot:

http://www.boltdepot.com/product.asp...&cm=19&cd=1317
product # 6430

Amazon Amazon

Old 09-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by aero
AAM's spacer is primarily for FI applications. It has a vacuum tap for items like the UTEC MAP sensor. That's why I got it.

As for the "turbulence inducing" TB spacers, I don't know if OCG35 is counting me as one of the 20 reviewers, but I used to have one pre-FI. The one thing that still intrigues me to this day is the change it caused in intake sound. I think we had a discussion about that a while back...without the spacer, my cone filter would only whistle around 4000 RPM. With the spacer, it whistled across almost the entire RPM range (1500+). No one could explain this. I think some of the skeptics said that there was no way it could be from the TB spacer (had to be something else, like my plenum spacer), but come on guys, that's one observation that's hard to argue with. A cone filter's whistle is directly related to airflow. If you install "part x", regardless of what it is, and the filter whistles with three times the pitch, it's not a stretch to hypothesize that part x somehow, some way increased airflow.

P.S. the one I had is for sale at amazon, and it's only $90. One bad thing is that it comes with hex head bolts, and it's extremely difficult to torque the bolt in the lower right part of the TB. I replaced that one with an allen head bolt (6 mm x 80 mm) from boltdepot:

http://www.boltdepot.com/product.asp...&cm=19&cd=1317
product # 6430

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=unmatprice-20
The whistle is caused be the open nature of the cone intake. The whistle, though faint, is there even with a Z-pipe. The noise is caused by the air rushing around the throttle blade under part-throttle conditions. My old Z28 and Maxima had the same whistles when I put intakes on them. Now why the whistle is more pronounced with the TB spacer would be a bit of a guess. My guess would be that the 1" spacer added behind the TB changes the low rpm flow chararacteristics within the intake manifold which then causes a change in the volume/pitch of the whistle. Is it adding power? The dynos don't seem to suggest so. Is it improving throttle response? Very possible. I know that when I added a CAI to my prior VQ30 Maxima, the throttle response and low/midrage power "felt" far better than with a POP intake or hacked OEM airbox. However, during testing at the track, the car was actually quite a bit slower with the CAI.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by DaveB
The whistle is caused be the open nature of the cone intake. The whistle, though faint, is there even with a Z-pipe. The noise is caused by the air rushing around the throttle blade under part-throttle conditions. My old Z28 and Maxima had the same whistles when I put intakes on them. Now why the whistle is more pronounced with the TB spacer would be a bit of a guess. My guess would be that the 1" spacer added behind the TB changes the low rpm flow chararacteristics within the intake manifold which then causes a change in the volume/pitch of the whistle. Is it adding power? The dynos don't seem to suggest so. Is it improving throttle response? Very possible. I know that when I added a CAI to my prior VQ30 Maxima, the throttle response and low/midrage power "felt" far better than with a POP intake or hacked OEM airbox. However, during testing at the track, the car was actually quite a bit slower with the CAI.
Dave, are we talking about the same sound? Maybe "whistle" wasn't the best word for it, I'm talking about a hiss/suction noise that comes directly from the cone filter itself. I'm 100% sure it was coming from the filter, because at first I thought I had a leak (because of the louder noise and the problematic bolt), but I had my brother rev the engine and I stuck my head in the engine bay - definitely came from the filter.

You do raise an interesting point though, that extra inch added to the intake tract, albeit small, does increase the volume of the intake system - the volume of the hollow part of the TB spacer is added to intake tract. Assuming all other variables are constant, pressure should slightly change too. Maybe that small change in volume/pressure is what causes the noise to change.

Something else interesting about the noise is that it occurred at low RPMs (i.e. 1500). If the TB spacer did have an effect on power/torque at those low RPMs, would that even be measurable by most dynos?

This is turning into a Ph.D. dissertation!

Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by madchef

Like a lightweight flywheel, the gains probably can't be dyno'd. The air fuel might tell you something the dyno numbers don't about this product...

Old 09-13-2007, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by OCG35
Sorry, I forgot some of you that are interested might not be premiere member and can't access the GB area... below is the post in the group buy forum - if you are non-premier and are interested please sign up here and I will monitor the level of interest. If you are premiere please use the list in the actual group buy are. Thanks
Interested. Probably go with red for the bling

Old 09-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm willing to give it a try. Put me down for one in aluminum finish. Jon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Spacer Review