Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Motordyne Plenum Spacer, Discussion, Dyno Info

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pdjafari
ya i been sifting through these posts HOPING to read a 'review' other than sound and growl. I wanna know if the car feels any bit faster/smoother!!!! Cmon im all the way in VA and I finally receive mine sometime today but I cant wait to install test myself!! I wanna see some reviews!!!
Same here. I can get sound and growl from my dog . The earlier dynos really looked promising, but I'd like to hear more reviews and see more dynos from other people.

Old 02-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think they are teasing us... The post office has lost mine

Old 02-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by jjellyneck
Same here. I can get sound and growl from my dog . The earlier dynos really looked promising, but I'd like to hear more reviews and see more dynos from other people.
LOL (at jjellyneck)

!!! Will, they lost your spacer?!?! Mine was sent UPS and got rescheduled...I ordered like on Feb. 1st or 2nd....and its taken them like 9-10 days to deliver...yes im in VA but still...this is UPS not pony express....
I'll install mine tonite and drive it and i promise to share my thoughts on it...

Old 02-10-2005, 12:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldVFRGuy
Just finished up installation of mine!!!! 3/8"
Piece of cake!!
I went ahead and painted my plenum while I had it off.
What do you think?
Just need to get her dynoed again now.
hmm, tried to get a mod in there under the radar huh? Let me know how you like it, I've been seriously thinking about getting one since everyone else around us has the crawford plenum.

Old 02-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Received 84 Likes on 54 Posts
Talking

I have the 3/8 spacer installed with the kinetix plenum. I agree with glenn that you can't tell at crusing speed, but it's different at WOT. I've had my kinetix for about 5 months and I can tell that since installing this spacer that it accelerates a little quicker than before along with it being a little louder. I did a dyno of 269.5hp with everything in my sig from below on a dynojet before the spacer. I plan on doing a dyno today on a dynojet and I'll post my before and after results tonight. We are having a dyno day on the 19th this month in so cal with the various sizes of spacers and plenum combinations ( stock, crawford, and kinetix). On the dyno day we are using a dynopack which is usually 10-20 more hp than a dynojet since the wheels are removed. Hopefully those results will answer everyones questions which one is the best. I'm hoping to have at least 275 to 280 with the spacer on the dynojet and close to 290-300hp on the dynopack so stay tuned!!!

Old 02-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by MOTOP
I find it ridiculous that you had a new mod on for two days and you never revved past 4k.

Will install mine tomorrow. And beleive me, I will rev the crap out of it in the first 15 minutes. Stay tuned.
Revving is for kiddies at stoplights

Thanks but I'll wait until I can do some actual WOT runs to 100+, that is the only valid test for me, and there is a time and a place for that. Hopefully today =)

Old 02-10-2005, 08:37 PM
For those of you sick of hearing about the sound: That growl keeps getting louder and louder, very sweet

I was able to push her a bit this afternoon, and she definitely seems to be moving through the RPMs faster and smoother. I also notice the difference when shifting. It seems like the engine is less sensitive to slight rev mismatches, as in it can adjust quicker because of the increased volume, so it has seemingly smoothed out shifting as well. I'm lacking in the terminology so I hope I'm describing it clearly enough.

I still think the butt-dyno is not very reliable, and am still looking forward to more scientific independent dynos on the spacer. So far I like what I've seen/felt/heard though!

Old 02-10-2005, 09:24 PM
ok guys,
received it today..2 hrs later it was installed.....took her for a spin.
i have to agree w/ copbait. did move thru RPMs much faster, you can def feel a lil seat of the pants acceleration!! also seemed to help shift quicker in MM mode!! it does make a bit more noise 'growl' at around 3500rpm+, but i didnt really notice unless i really listened for it. hopefully as copbait said it will get a bit louder!!

Old 02-10-2005, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by copbait
Revving is for kiddies at stoplights

Thanks but I'll wait until I can do some actual WOT runs to 100+, that is the only valid test for me, and there is a time and a place for that. Hopefully today =)
Hey, I didn't specify in which gear I'll be seeing the redline.

I just got back from work, traffic on 280 sucked. No spacer install today

Old 02-11-2005, 06:18 AM
Here are the dyno results of the 3/8 spacer with the kinetix. I plan on doing another dyno next week at the place I usually go to. I was a little disappointed, but after the dyno runs I found out that one of the bolts on the plenum was loose in the front. I'm hoping that is the reason I pulled lower than expected. I also noticed they pulled my car different from the other place (gear ratio) I also hope that's part of the reason also. The place I always go to always showed higher #'s when something was added to my car I've been there 3 times, but they were busy today. I've posted my before and after spacer results I couldn't find my graph for the before spacer pull and don't mind the a/f in the before pull his probe wasn't acting right that day. The first 2 pics are before the spacer the graph and last pic is after the spacer. If any questions pm me.

Attached Thumbnails Motordyne Plenum Spacer, Discussion, Dyno Info-post-spacer-results0006.jpg   Motordyne Plenum Spacer, Discussion, Dyno Info-post-spacer-results0007.jpg   Motordyne Plenum Spacer, Discussion, Dyno Info-post-spacer-results0004.jpg   Motordyne Plenum Spacer, Discussion, Dyno Info-post-spacer-results0005.jpg  
Old 02-11-2005, 06:38 AM
Maybe i'm wrong in reading the charts, but it looks like you lost a lot of torque after the spacer install....

Old 02-11-2005, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by g35audioman
Maybe i'm wrong in reading the charts, but it looks like you lost a lot of torque after the spacer install....
I'm hoping it's because of the loose bolt and how they dynoed my car. If you look at the gear ratio at the top it's different between the 2 sheets. I'm going to the place I usually get dynoed today to ask a few questions. I don't know which one to believe since the gear ratios are different. Hopefully I'll have answers later today.

Old 02-11-2005, 08:20 AM
I was hoping to see some good results by now - or any results that are positive? Wasn't someone doing a plenum + spacer dyno vs plenum dyno?

Honestly I believe that the shape of the crawford plenum is the reason for gains. While the spacer leaves the slope and rasies the back two cylinders plenum clearance as well, possibly too high where air velocity could be sub par? Any thoughts on that armchair analysis? Trust me I want good results for those of you spending cash and I want this to work with my plenum but Doug did airflow testing on the cylinders with a crawford and without and proved some great things about what was going on in there. Is Hydrazine doing bench testing or anything?

Last edited by SixFive; 02-11-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Six-5: I too am waiting for additional dyno's and hope to see additional confirmation to what EK experienced on his car.

I too have been trying to look at this phenomenon from an Engineering perspective and keep trying to determine as to why the Nissan Engineers put that slope in the stock plenum reducing its volume.....I have this feeling that it's not just for hood clearance. I'll try to use an everyday example to try and convey where my thought process is going. Think of the ductwork in your house or any typical building. The further away from the fan/blower source, the size of the ductwork is reduced.....this allows the air to maintain pressure and velocity and thus flow in a balanced fashion through ducts further away from the blower source when compared to ducts closer to the blower. I think the Engineers designed the front of the plenum with a slope to reduce the volume and 'balance' the flow to the front cylinders. Did they reduce it too much for hood clearance? Maybe? Remember that Doug at Crawford has shown that there is indeed a restriction with the stock plenum to the front cylinders....I think we all agree with that point. However, I'm not totally convinced yet that eliminating the slope and giving the front of the plenum the same volume as the back closest to the inlet is the best for balanced flow to all cylinder intake runners. This might be why the spacer with a stock plenum appears to shine....Does the spacer raise the stock plenum enough to allow the restriction to be reduced but still allow for better balanced flow? I don't know.....bench flow tests and dynos with the Crawford plenum has shown it is a good product. Similar runs with the spacer are indeed necessary to prove it is a good product. I think with the spacer, we will see gains over the stock plenum but I'm intrigued by EK's dyno runs which indicate that it performs better at higher rpm's than the Crawford plenum. That is what has me wracking my brain as to why.....is it real or was it an anomaly that additional runs/test will disprove. That is why I'm waiting for additional dyno runs to either affirm or disprove what we have seen so far. Let's just keep an open mind and see what bears out.

Old 02-11-2005, 10:32 AM
I'd love to get more ponies up high and hope this pans out even if I take the crawford off permanently. It'll be a while before I decide. I'm surprised there are so many buyers already as he is 3 weeks back-ordered. Thanks to the guys spending hard dough on this thing so we can glom your info and do the right thing the first time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motordyne Plenum Spacer, Discussion, Dyno Info