Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Crawford Header Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 06:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crawford Header Review

Well I just couldn't wait any longer. Initially I wanted to wait until after May 7th, 2005 to post a write up, but after last Friday's trip to the track, I just can't wait any longer.

For those of you who don't know, my current performance mod list looks something like this...

Z-Tube, K&N Pannel Filter, Crawford V5 Plenum, Crawford Headers, Crawford H/F Cats and JIC Y-Pipe. I also have the TEIN H-Techs for the 350z and heavy 19" PIAA Super Rozza's (a good 5-7 lbs. each over the stock 18's).

Let me start off by saying that the Crawford Headers are the single biggest gain that I've added to date. The headers by themselves make the car "feel" much stronger than all of my other mods combined. The car just pulls so much harder than ever before and it pulls so much earlier that it's really very difficult to explain. One analogy might be to say that the car feels like 500+ lbs was dropped. Another analogy is to say that the breaks feel "softer" than before (due to the fact that the speeds climb so much quicker that it takes longer to stop). Bottom line is that there is definitely a very noticable difference after the installation of these headers.

Track Results:

Well after a good 20+ runs at the Orlando Speedway over the last year or so the very best run I was able to muster up was a 14.454 @ 97.17 mph, 60' = 2.253 (temp was 60 degrees). This run was accomplished with every mod I had on my car (including the aftermarket wheels) except for the Crawford Headers.

Since I added the Crawford Headers I returned to the track and ran a 14.214 @ 99.02 mph, 60' = 2.227 (temp was 78 degrees)

The temperatures were 18 degrees higher, relative humidity was higher and all runs were made at the same track with my heavy 19" wheels and tires.

(14.454 - 14.214 = 0.24 seconds)

Going by the general rule of thumb that 100 hp will gain approx. a 1.0 second drop in the 1/4 mile, this would mean that the headers added well over 20 rwhp over the entire rpm range. That number sounds a little high even to me but hopefully the next CFL Dyno Day will show numbers to help back up this claim.

I would recommend this mod to anyone with the desire to make their Z or G as fast as possible and cannot comment as to how the headers would work with a bone stock G.

In short...CRAWFORD HEADERS ROCK!!!

Old 04-11-2005, 09:12 AM
The equation your using to determine your gains is not a reliable one, nor one that I'd use to determine power increase/decrease. For starters, you couldve had a better launch this time around, and you obviously had a better 60' than your previous attempt. Second, you have only stated one run you made with your crawford headers, not an average of runs you made. Third, the run you made w/ your headers was on a different date as you mentioned and the weather conditions were also different (again as you mentioned). I am sure the header's DO provide some gains thus you 'feel' the car is quicker/faster etc, however just stating that its not really a good idea to base your HP gains on a 1/4 mile run that you've made and comparing them to previous runs to determine est. HP. I dont think when you dyno that you'll see a 20HP increase as you mentioned, because using the above equation a Z/tube would probably yield 10HP.
I could be wrong, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what your dyno day shows.

I'm sure you already know all this and simply wanted to inform the general public of your thoughts and impressions.

That being said, enjoy your headers!!

Last edited by pdjafari; 04-11-2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-11-2005, 09:23 AM
Vic
neff, how much did it cost you to install the headers?

Old 04-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Vic
neff, how much did it cost you to install the headers?
Typical installs cost $400-$600. I got a "deal" at Lokey Infiniti in Clearwater Florida. They are a FGC sponsor and had never installed the Crawford Headers before so they didn't know what they were in for. Let's just say the price has gone up a little bit since my install (and I've been asked not to state the price I paid, sorry).

Old 04-11-2005, 02:04 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well my friend's Maxima will all basic bolt-ons (~180 fwhp) had a best time of 15.7 on steelies, then he got a Stillen SC (dynoed 300 fwhp) and ran a 13.9 on street tires... So no telling how accurate the 100hp=1s formula is, but let's hope you're in the ballpark. Also how much weight did you get rid of for your Fri runs? Will keep my fingers crossed for May 7th...

I would recommend this mod to anyone with the desire to make their Z or G as fast as possible and cannot comment as to how the headers would work with a bone stock G.
Anyone tried this? Even though I wish there was a single most-bang-for-the-buck mod, would it make sense at all to get headers when there are all the other "bottlenecks" with the stock plenum, y and cats... So if I understood correctly you can feel the gains throughout the entire rpm range vs. just the high end with the plenum? And did the headers change anything sound-wise?

Old 04-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Thumbs up

Neff, I've been ITCHING to get these headers too!
(I have kinetix HF Cats and Plenum and Popcharger)
I expect this would give me very nice gains also but I just can't see myself spending $1200 + install for these suckers

How much of a difference did you notice in the exhaust sounds?
I like the way it sounds right now very much, it is still reasonably quiet inside the car but noticably meaner than stock.
I definitely wouldn't mind even deeper + meaner tone. maybe you can make a vid clip if you get a chance?!

Last edited by fluffydot; 04-11-2005 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Finiti35
Well my friend's Maxima will all basic bolt-ons (~180 fwhp) had a best time of 15.7 on steelies, then he got a Stillen SC (dynoed 300 fwhp) and ran a 13.9 on street tires...
Ouch!! I ran consistent 14.6s@96mph with 183whp in my 96 Maxima 5 speed and then ran 14.3s@99mph with a ~200whp. The overall powerband improved dramatically hence the reason for the big drop in ET and 3mph gained in trapspeed with just the additon of 17 peak whp. This was at the same track and under the same density altitude.

Old 04-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Vic
neff, you are lucky that your local dealer is very cool and friendly with after market mods..

Old 04-11-2005, 03:48 PM
FGC South Florida BOD
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveB
Ouch!! I ran consistent 14.6s@96mph with 183whp in my 96 Maxima 5 speed and then ran 14.3s@99mph with a ~200whp. The overall powerband improved dramatically hence the reason for the big drop in ET and 3mph gained in trapspeed with just the additon of 17 peak whp. This was at the same track and under the same density altitude.
My Maxima ran a 15.8 bone stock (170fwhp), I could have shaved a tenth had I emptied my trunk and not gone with a 2/3 full tank. So maybe his 15.7 wasn't the best example.. following your stats, 1s = 56.66whp, but the G responds to mods totally different. VQ30's benefit much more from N/A mods than VQ35's do, and the G in particular.

Vic: the dealer is not so local, but is totally worth the drive

Last edited by Finiti35; 04-11-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:32 PM
Vic
well at least they dont mind with after market parts.. I had a problem with my rear defroster sometime ago and my dealer blame the tint for it.. I was like what the ****?

Old 04-11-2005, 07:12 PM
G Kreuzer
That's hot Neff. I'll be anxiously waiting for your dyno results.

Just a couple of questions ...

1. They did have to lift the engine slightly for the install correct? or did they drop it instead?
2. How much did the noise level increase?

Thanks,

Old 04-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by THX723
That's hot Neff. I'll be anxiously waiting for your dyno results.

Just a couple of questions ...

1. They did have to lift the engine slightly for the install correct? or did they drop it instead?
2. How much did the noise level increase?

Thanks,
Clint,

To answer your questions...

1. Yes they had to lift the engine. They used the standard lift plus a tranny jack and lifted the engine via the oil pan.

2. The noise is way too quiet. When I ran the z-tube and Popcharger, my car was LOUDER than it is now with the following mods...

z-tube
K&N pannel filter (with stock air box)
crawford, plenum/headers/cats
JIC Y-pipe

The stock air box has resonators in it which really keep the car too quiet IMO. Now I'm having a hard time finding the right exhaust to give me a deeper and louder tone, yet one that does not give me the drone at idle. I'm afraid that Fujitsubo will be too quiet, Stillen too much of a drone at idle speeds, Borla is too many sections IMO, Injen blows fiberglass... what to do???

Old 04-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Neffster, did you notice any lack in back-pressure? I once did the whole header/cats/exhaust thing on a Porsche 911 and the car actually got *slower.* That's obviously a completely different scenario, but I wanted to make sure the principle doesn't apply to the G before I drop the dough for the headers and cats. I already have done exhaust and pop charger. Thanks!

Old 04-12-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by ainsley
Neffster, did you notice any lack in back-pressure? I once did the whole header/cats/exhaust thing on a Porsche 911 and the car actually got *slower.* That's obviously a completely different scenario, but I wanted to make sure the principle doesn't apply to the G before I drop the dough for the headers and cats. I already have done exhaust and pop charger. Thanks!
Slower? No way. The car is a beast compared to stock. My worst time at the track this last weekend (I made 4 runs) was better than my very BEST time (14.454) in the last year. I'm even taking the times with every mod on my car but the headers, this includes every run with my lighter 18" stock wheels & tires. The headers DEFINITELY work and make a very noticible power increase. VERY NOTICIBLE.

Old 04-12-2005, 01:02 PM
Vic
neff, stop saying that.... now your really get me going into buying headers...
I was initially going to buy headers several months later, try to save some money now after I spent on cats, exhaust, intake and plenum.. But now, I feel like I just want to call doug and order headers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Crawford Header Review