Reviews Reviews of specific modifications, posted by members

Motordyne vs Skunk2 plenum spacers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by F@KiD
i know you guys think that the manufacturer dyno's are weak but all i can say is that i purchased both of the spacers, i was there when the rolled it on the dyno did there pulls swap the existing spacer with the other and repeated the test... nothin fancy or sketchy pretty str8 forward... not looking to start another debate just wanted to post my info and opinion...
thanks,
Adrian
So let me get this straight. You "paid" for the Skunk2 spacer, and as a sign of goodwill for your patronage, they "let" you use their dyno to prove that their spacer makes more gains?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well yeah i paid for the spacer and told them that well all of us as consumers wanted to see some actual data just between the 2 brands... and were willing 2 do so when i was there... i cant complain about it... got my car dyno'd and got to see some actual numbers... cuz me personally haven't seen to many independant dyno graphs between the 2 and i just figured this would be helpful to many...

Old 06-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
well yeah i paid for the spacer and told them that well all of us as consumers wanted to see some actual data just between the 2 brands... and were willing 2 do so when i was there... i cant complain about it... got my car dyno'd and got to see some actual numbers... cuz me personally haven't seen to many independant dyno graphs between the 2 and i just figured this would be helpful to many...
WOW! For someone so high on the Skunk band, I'm surprised you didn’t do any research... had you done research certainly you would know that Tony (Motordyne) has been trying to get Skunk to agree to an independently tested dyno shootout... he has been begging them - but they don’t respond.

But they were all too willing to compare the 2 on their dyno, on their terms, under their control

Sorry dude, but those results help no one... not even Skunk - because it’s laughable and shows how sketchy this is.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
No issues at all with my Skunk2. Didn't really notice any power gain, but below 20hp or so I don't think most people would. Too bad we didn't dyno it when it was installed. but I can say that it, along with Stillen CAI (includes Z-tube) makes for a great intake sound...
Can you cut it half? You'd have two 5/16" spacers!

Old 06-25-2009, 09:37 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
WOW! For someone so high on the Skunk band, I'm surprised you didn’t do any research... had you done research certainly you would know that Tony (Motordyne) has been trying to get Skunk to agree to an independently tested dyno shootout... he has been begging them - but they don’t respond.

But they were all too willing to compare the 2 on their dyno, on their terms, under their control

Sorry dude, but those results help no one... not even Skunk - because it’s laughable and shows how sketchy this is.

NOTE:
It was Skunk2 that initially asked for the dyno comparison over in the "So. Cal. Forum" over at MY350Z.com.

They started a thread asking for this comparison and when I took them up on the offer they suddenly deleted the thread.
And even though all of my advertised dyno results are based on independant tests, Skunk2 suggested "shady business practices" on my part. Heck, I always make a specific point of using independant dyno tests and most of it is from forum members who posted them here on G35Driver and MY350Z.

This comparison subject came back up in another persons thread and now Skunk isn't responding.

I suspect Skunk2 must have already figured out what the real dyno results will be. Why else would they suddenly be so afraid to come on the forums and discuss it?

What do you guys think?

If you spent a good amount of money on a auto part advertised to perform to a certaint level but you later found out that the part did absolutely nothing at all... Seriously. Would you want a refund?
If yes, to what extent would you persue a reimbursement?
Would it make a difference to you if a manufacturer continued to sell the part with the same bogus claims?

False advertising can lead to all kinds of PR and legal problems. Not to mention that it can lead to serious "catch 22" situations on the discussion forums.
(I digress. Sorry for getting a bit off topic here.) So how about it? Should Skunk2 and Motordyne do an open and public "Plenum Mod Shootout"?
With forum members and moderators present as the referes?

If you would like to see this comparison. Please contact Skunk and ask them to be part of the public and open dyno test they asked for.

EDIT - Lets make this a test where both Skunk2 and Motordyne are present for the testing.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 06-25-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:43 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
i know you guys think that the manufacturer dyno's are weak but all i can say is that i purchased both of the spacers, i was there when the rolled it on the dyno did there pulls swap the existing spacer with the other and repeated the test... nothin fancy or sketchy pretty str8 forward... not looking to start another debate just wanted to post my info and opinion...
thanks,
Adrian
I believe you Adrian. I'm sure you don't have any agenda in this.
But Skunk2 sure does.

Could you contact them and ask them to come on the forums and do a public/independant dyno test?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Can you cut it half? You'd have two 5/16" spacers!
I *did* think about milling it down, LOL! Then I'd have a modded mod.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
I believe you Adrian. I'm sure you don't have any agenda in this.
But Skunk2 sure does.

Could you contact them and ask them to come on the forums and do a public/independant dyno test?
hey Hydrazine...tell you the truth im kinda just a middle man in this whole thing but ill do my best to contact them and see if we can get this thing rolling... cuz me personally don't think you can ever have to much info... if you can could you pm me your info and a number for them to get ahold of you... ill b sure to pass it on
Thanks

Old 06-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
We actually have eachothers contact info, thats easy, but to be honest if they won't reply on the forums I'm a bit skeptical of doing anything over the phone.

It would be best if we make all arrangements out in the open. The whole point is to make it all open and public.

Thank you!

PS - I am not doing this test on my dyno. I suggest doing it at "Church Auto". We have both used Church Auto for testing in the past and they are a very well know and respected tuner shop in the middle of So. Cal.. Easy access for everyone!

Last edited by Hydrazine; 06-25-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:21 PM
sounds good ill do what i can...

Old 06-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since I have a Skunk2 I am looking forward to the results as it may lead me to change plenum spacers.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I hope you realize that in terms of function, the majority of the issue here ISN'T who makes the spacer, it's the thickness of the spacer. Hydrazine has commented on various spacer thickness before. Most of the proof lies in Tony's research.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:14 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
That and the effectivness (or lack of it) when spacers are used on the REVUP lower plenum.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't doubt his research but the dyno should settle it for good and remove any bias anyone has toward either spacer.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Do you have a REVUP engine?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Motordyne vs Skunk2 plenum spacers