G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Official "Random Airbag/SRS Light" Thread: Lets find a permanent fix!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 04:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Took a look under the passenger seat. there are some wires that are laying on the floor, look to be taped with electrical tape and a zip tie around them. Is this the connecter that causes the problem? Or is the yellow plastic connector fastened to the seat bottom?

Last edited by kjchevy3; 03-22-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by kjchevy3
Wow, this was an enlightening thread. I have 2004 G35x, just got the blinking light about a week ago. first couple resets didn't work, but once I had driven the car a ways and it was warm it reset and came back on a week later. It has been cold here again... wouldn't reset yesterday morning when I first got in the car. Drove to work and tried, stayed off when I drove home last night but back on again. the code is 21 best I can tell, 2 "long" and 1 "short" blink in diagnostic mode. won't reset when cold but will when warm. Really wondering about the connection at this point, scheduled to take it in next week and get reamed for them to read the code and see what they say...
Do what I wrote and the light will be gone. You guys makes this to difficult, lol

Old 03-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by kjchevy3
Took a look under the passenger seat. there are some wires that are laying on the floor, look to be taped with electrical tape and a zip tie around them. Is this the connecter that causes the problem? Or is the yellow plastic connector fastened to the seat bottom?
Do what I wrote and the light will be gone. You guys makes this to difficult., lmao

Old 08-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
neo_anderson302:

I'm a 04 G35 coupe owner and had the same airbag light come on few months after I got the recall done back in 2010 (no issues before that!). So 4 years later I want to fix it so the airbags can actually work.

I saw you said why not cut the wires and connect them. This is exactly what I'm thinking. I saw you ended up just undoing the recall but is it still holding up 2 years later? Did the lights ever come back after that? Thanks for your help in advance!

Old 07-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Just another data point for everyone. After recall completed, a few months later light came on. Read these threads and inspected the connectors under the seat and inspected and undid/redid the zip ties. Still no help. Read the code via flashing airbag light and said code 12 - driver airbag. I replaced the spiral clock spring in the steering wheel, and fixed. No light for about a year.

Now for the last few months it's come on, and I've reset it each time, ~10x now. I tried to reading the code via the blink method but it doesn't result in a code blink. I purchase an Autel MD802 because my current scanner just does OBD2 codes. MD802 tells me I have air bag code b1129 (RT pass side airbag open circuit). At least now I know what to focus on. B1129 procedure says to: check/replace connectors, replace airbag diag sensor unit, replace airbag. In that order. If dealers go by the book they do all and charge you $1000+. Checking a connection is a little difficult, wonder if they just do a visual vs. an electrical check.

Side note: Open circuit on an airbag means it's a deployed bag, 2.2ohms is a healthy bag, and not sure what short circuit means, probably not good.

So with the MD802 connected and ignition switch to On (but engine not running), I experiment with the connector removing, wigging, messing with the 2mm play in the connector itself, bending the nearby wires, and I could not get the code unless I unplug the connector. If the connector was intermittent, it was not obvious.

I looked for my contact cleaner and could not find it. Instead spray w/ WD40, removed/inserted several times to scrape off any oxidation, and put everything back. Anyhow it's been 5 days and no light, normally its on within 1hr. Want to say it's good. If I get B1129 again I'm going to spray connectors with something more appropriate and/or just remove the crap yellow defective connector and replace with some standard crimp type. Replacing the connector make me cringe a little but might need to.

Couple experiments folks can try is to put a 2.2ohm load (1/2 watt) instead connecting to the airbag. This tricks the brain box to think it's got an airbag connected to it. Also you can measure the resistance of your existing airbag and confirm it's not open. Don't blame me if you accidentally deploy it, needs 5vdc or higher I think, confirm your multimeter does not put out more than 1 volt (to be on the safe side) when measuring resistance - my cheap Craftsman did, my Fluke did not.

But to reiterate, if you can read your code, and it says side airbag (the one in the seats), and gives you a code that it's OPEN circuit, then likely the fix is replacing/fiddling with that connector under the seat. Infiniti knows this but their TSB repair was crap. Likely replacing the crap connector with something better is the real fix, not epoxy+tie wrap.

Last edited by mediabox; 07-09-2016 at 10:27 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
If you get B1129 again you should send it in to get it done, FOR FREE. FYI the recall has been updated in 2012 to address the issue, same as you suggested, by replacing the connectors. Here's the updated recall campaign.

Also check the link: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...ml#post7063900

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ITB10-034b.pdf (1.66 MB, 584 views)
Old 07-23-2016, 10:58 AM
Wow nice, I didn't see that thread. Thanks.

My fix is holding up for a few weeks now, indeed, if it pops back up I'll go back in.

Old 08-28-2016, 01:06 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Truckload Of Airbag Parts Explodes En Route To Takata Plant, Killing Woman Inside Her Home (Updated)

A woman was killed in her home by an explosion Monday morning involving a truckload of airbag detonation triggers which was on its way to a Takata automotive parts plant, according to multiple reports.

According to Conexion Del Rio, 69 year-old Lucila Robles was killed in her home following by the explosion of a truckload of airbag detonators that crashed in front of the house.

From the report:
According to authorities the woman, who lived alone at her home located on U.S. Highway 277, near the intersection with FM 1666, was alone Monday morning, when the truck came off the road, caught on fire and exploded just in front of the structure.

The truck, hauling a flatbed trailer loaded with airbag cartridges, was traveling from Del Rio to the Takata plant in Eagle Pass, Texas. The driver of the truck, identified as Mario Alberto Rodriguez, 20-years-of-age, was injured along with a passenger. They were able to flee the truck before the blast.

An older couple, traveling in a Toyota SUV, was also injured during the explosion. All four injured victims were transported to a hospital in Eagle Pass, and later airlifted to San Antonio.
The woman was initially reported missing, but the two-day search for her ended when dental pieces found at the scene of the explosion were discovered to be Roberts.

Takata, the company now infamous for an airbag defect cover-up that led to the deaths of 13 confirmed people, the injuries of hundreds more and one of the largest recalls in history involving nearly 100 million vehicles, operates a plant in Eagle Pass, Texas which is where the truck involved in the explosion was reportedly headed.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:31 PM
Received 101 Likes on 91 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Damn

Old 03-25-2017, 09:45 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but has anyone simply cut out the offending connector and replaced it? Part number from Infiniti is 24009-CM71A. It's about $65 for the connector, but I cannot find a picture of it, so wondering if anyone has done it and what the results were?

Old 03-25-2017, 08:18 PM
Received 101 Likes on 91 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
That might work, still haven't addressed my flashing airbag light. Guess I'm just so used to it.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:38 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Black electrical tape, works in my Nissan Frontier for the TPMS