South Serving AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX

Legal advice for home repair disaster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Legal advice for home repair disaster

Well, Olshan the foundation repair company that fixed my foundation has caused a great deal of damage to my home. When they put peirs in to support the house they jacked it back up and did a considerable amount of damage. Water leaks in at foundation in living room, a new cracked formed midway from two of the pillers, walls are bowing inward between the pillars, they broke the brick wall of the house 1.5" away from the brick wall around the patio, no doors and no window shutters are even anymore (even the ones that were even to start with are crooked now), and lots of other stuff.

The contract says they are not responsible for outside plants(understandable since they have to dig), cracks in the drywall(understandable since the house will resettle). It says that a certified technician will check the level of the house after they are finished which to my knowledge never happend. Which is why i think they raised some parts of the house too much which has caused all of the damage.

This is what the contract says,

9. It is understood and agreed that in order to perform the above described work, sheetrock, wallpaper, brick and mortar or other rigid materials may crack or tear. Therefore, Contractor will not be liable for, and the above work estimate does not include, any redecorating, repairing, electrical work, carpet, tile, or the replacement of any materials not specified in this Agreement. It is also understood and agreed that Olshan will temporarily remove plants and shrubs that obstruct the the installation area, to the extent resonably possible, all plants and shrubs will be replanted; however, Olshan does not guarentee their continued survival.
A sales rep came out today to look at everything and admitied that one corner of the house was raised more then the others and they offered to relevel it, but not to cover any damages that was caused by them improperly installing the peirs.

Ive been trying to look up consumer rights in a situation like this but I am having trouble finding stuff that applies to me. I feel like im going to need a lawyer to get this settled.

What do you think of the situation?

Old 07-03-2006, 09:52 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the heads up about this crappy company! Be sure and let them know that you are letting everyone in the Houston area know what a crappy company they are. Foundation problems are pretty common around here. I, for one will not be doing any business with them in the case of any foundation problems I may encounter. BBS, Marvin Zindler? Good luck!

Old 07-04-2006, 12:13 AM
lol yeah, im emailing the channel 13 people tomarow.

The GM is going to call me on wednesday, so I cant wait to see what he says.

My lawyer says that we have a very strong case, as Olshan has failed to send me some pretty importent paper work, like the warrenty or the signed copy of the contract and the damage is the result of them not folowing Olshan's own protocal.

Because of the arbitration clause we will have to go through that first which sucks but hey if it works then i dont have to pay for a lawyer.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe a nice settlement = goodies for the G?

Old 07-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Well never heard from them so ill be calling tomarow.

If i do go to court all the money will have to go to fixing the house.