South Serving AR, LA, MS, NM, OK, TX

Upcoming Rally on Austin's Best Roads!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2005 | 10:28 PM
|
Turk, Thanks for posting the safety rules! They are all very important. I also wanted to add a few important things from the Stampede rules.

If a Stampede car in front of you is moving a lot slower than you like:
Do NOT tailgate or intimidate them in any way,
Signal them with two short and quick high beams,
Wait PATIENTLY for them to slow down to let you pass at the next straight section of highway
Pass them quickly.
Be extremely careful passing cars on two-way roads (which is what most of the route consists of).
If you are signaled to let someone pass you:
Confirm your receipt of their signal by turning on your four-way (hazard) blinkers for a couple seconds.
During the next straight section of highway slow down slowly about 5-10 mph to allow the car(s) to pass you.
Resume driving at the speed you feel comfortable with.

If you see a dead animal (road kill) on the road, alert your fellow tourists using your radio if you have one.

Also, there are going to be a lot of bicyles on the road in the morning, so we need to be sure to watch out for them. If you see a bike ahead, radio it back to everyone else.

Thanks to everyone who has helped this happen, and I will see everyone in the morning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-25-2005 | 10:38 PM
damn...just now read about it....can't make it....I haven't been in regional threads lately and missed it....I'll try to catch the next one...have fun everyone.

Old 06-26-2005 | 03:33 PM
Just back from the Austin Rally this morning. It was a great drive. Many many thanks to FAST for putting together an awesome route. The meeting time turned out to be perfect: Even Rob made it there before the departure time although he was still reliably late. The group was made up of two G35s, one 300ZX TT, one E46 M3, and one (old) 240SX (me).

Given the early start, we had no traffic except for one car holding us back for a few minutes on two separate roads. FAST did a great job leading the group throughout the run even though one of the cars kept on passing him and then falling back . Rob challenged us all on Lime Creek Rd in the lead as I struggled with my power steering giving me problems in the high G turns (gotta get that fixed). Good thing I was in the very back.

I think everyone drove really well. Watching the group stay together in a tight pack through almost all of Lime Creek, Old Spicewood, Barton Creek, and Lost Creek was a pretty cool sight and experience: You'd think we've driven with each other as a group numerous times.

In the second half of the drive, FAST took us on some roads which I had never driven on before: Old Spicewood, Barton Creek, Lost Creek; they were awesome. Again, FAST leading us through no traffic at a "spirited" pace. Towards the end, we all got to test our brakes when a guy walking his dog suddenly decided to cross the road. The guy and his dog were never in danger as all of us pretty much halted to a crawling pace nearly simultaneously.

Great Guys + Great Cars + Great Route = Great Drive

Thanks to FAST for starting this and putting it together.

Last edited by youngturk; 06-26-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-26-2005 | 07:02 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Staff Alumni
Sounds great. Wish I could have been there!
Any pics???

Old 06-27-2005 | 10:23 PM
have pics of the starting line-up. this time Rob didn't leave us on lime creek. I chased him all the way down that road. was great. I think showing up on time threw off his whole day.
I've also got about 285MB of video I'd like to post if anyone knows a good video hosting site. my passenger filmed most of the run down Lime Creek, Lost Creek, and KK's and my dyno runs.

the group

Lime Creek pace car

Racer X

no comment

our fearless leader

touch of German engineering

Last edited by LivyathanZero; 06-27-2005 at 10:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2005 | 07:38 AM
Staff Alumni
Nice pics Liv. Is your hood still in the shop? I didn't notice that bad *** CF hood.

Old 06-28-2005 | 10:42 AM
|
First off, I want to thank everyone that came out and took part in the Rally, we had a great time. I also want to thank everyone for their input and help in making it happen. The rally was nearly flawless, with the exception of the previously mentioned slow moving vehicles and a suicidal dog walker. LIV and I also drove down to the DYNO Day in New Braunfels and made a good showing for the G's. While we caught some flak for being the only two non European cars, we came away with two out of the top four HP numbers out of about 30 cars.

I am already starting the plans for another rally sometime towards the middle or end of July, so keep on the lookout for a new post about it! I hope everyone can make the next one, because it realy was a great time to get out and meet everyone and drive our cars. Thanks again to everyone!

Keith

Old 06-28-2005 | 10:48 AM
Staff Alumni
Please tell us the HP numbers!!!! Gotta hear what LivyathanZero and you are putting out.

Old 06-28-2005 | 11:34 AM
don't remember the torque number at the moment but KK had 231 one his better run and I had 223 on my better. his put down more HP but I beat him in torque. I was a bit disappointed but this is a different dyno than I used last time and it was over 95 outside compared to just under 60 last time. I'm also running much leaner now. I'll work on a couple things then go back when it cools off.

Old 06-28-2005 | 12:02 PM
Staff Alumni
Damn Liv,

I thought that with your mods you would be putting out more HP than a basically stock engine. KK's sig says his only engine mod is a K&N filter, yet you have a modifed exhaust without cats. What's up with this???

Old 06-28-2005 | 12:28 PM
agree cato. i can only guess that with fault codes stored, the engine altered performance and has compensated for the mods. looks like it's time for technosquare flashing

Old 06-28-2005 | 12:32 PM
Staff Alumni
Twin turbos will take care of this!

Old 06-28-2005 | 04:30 PM
thats mt goal right now. I'm just taking forever to get the 7K for the kit