Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Got pulled over tonight.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 06:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got pulled over tonight.

I got pulled over for no front plate and tinted windows. My tint is only 35% all around, but I guess they were bored. They also said they know "this car" and they see me "haulin" up and down Rinaldi St. Bull****. One of the cops said he pulled me over for having no front plate, tinted windows, and the exhaust. I told him I had a stock exhaust and he even questioned me. Idiot.

Anyway, he handed me my ticket and told me to slow down, which I agree to an extent since I kinda took the left turn a little faster that I usually do, but I wasn't speeding. He said he saw me before doing 70mph on a 40mph, which I'm 99% sure I didn't do. I told him my gf just moved here recently and he said "oh, it wasn't too long ago that it happened." Whatever. As if I'm the only one in Northridge that has a black G35.

In any case, the front plate should be no problem since I can temporarily zip tie that thing on.. but is there any "workaround" for the tint? It's too damn hot out here in SoCal and I don't really like the idea of peeling off $200 worth of tint and spending another $200 to put it back on.

If anyone know any "safe" workarounds, lol, please chime in. Also, if anyone wants to know, I was pulled over on the corner or Rinaldi and Reseda in Porter Ranch. Two Asian cops pulled me over.

Also, please don't give me that "you broke the law, quit bitching" stuff, please.

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited by vstypicals; 01-17-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You guys can't even have 35% tint in Cali?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here in Chicago, the only time I had a tint ticket, what I did was opened the door and took a picture of the window from the inside-out. Went to court, and when they asked "Did you remove the tint", I just said "here are pictures of my windows".... They said ok, and let me off.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vstypicals
In any case, the front plate should be no problem since I can temporarily zip tie that thing on.. but is there any "workaround" for the tint? It's too damn hot out here in SoCal and I don't really like the idea of peeling off $200 worth of tint and spending another $200 to put it back on.

If anyone know any "safe" workarounds, lol, please chime in. Also, if anyone wants to know, I was pulled over on the corner or Rinaldi and Reseda in Porter Ranch. Two Asian cops pulled me over.

Also, please don't give me that "you broke the law, quit bitching" stuff,
You broke the law, quit bitching.

J/K

Used to be LAPD would not bother with things like window tints. No longer. I've been pulled over twice by LAPD for window tint in the past couple years. I haven't been over by Porter Ranch lately so they can't have seen my black g

Anyway Sun Shield tint in Sherman Oaks is pretty good. It's off the 101 and Van Nuys Bl.

Call them, make an appointment to have your tint removed. It is like $60 for them to remove the tint and they will give you a coupon to have the tint put on again later. Take your car to the side of the Van Nuys court house and wait for the sheriff to come out. He will sign off that the tint is removed. You will need to park and go inside and pay a $20 or so fee. Then take your car back to Sun Tint and they will put the tint back on. Then you have to have the ticket paid at whatever court house it says. It's like $90 total for the tint fee, the sheriffs fee, and the fine on the ticket. I've done this three times and am kind of an expert on it by now.

SUNSHIELD GLASS TINTING
4704 Van Nuys Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
818/906-TINT(8468)

Old 01-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by tragedycat
You guys can't even have 35% tint in Cali?
Yea, no tint at all in the front windows.

Originally Posted by sternroolz

J/K

Used to be LAPD would not bother with things like window tints. No longer. I've been pulled over twice by LAPD for window tint in the past couple years. I haven't been over by Porter Ranch lately so they can't have seen my black g

Anyway Sun Shield tint in Sherman Oaks is pretty good. It's off the 101 and Van Nuys Bl.

Call them, make an appointment to have your tint removed. It is like $60 for them to remove the tint and they will give you a coupon to have the tint put on again later. Take your car to the side of the Van Nuys court house and wait for the sheriff to come out. He will sign off that the tint is removed. You will need to park and go inside and pay a $20 or so fee. Then take your car back to Sun Tint and they will put the tint back on. Then you have to have the ticket paid at whatever court house it says. It's like $90 total for the tint fee, the sheriffs fee, and the fine on the ticket. I've done this three times and am kind of an expert on it by now.

SUNSHIELD GLASS TINTING
4704 Van Nuys Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
818/906-TINT(8468)
Thanks for the reply. So it's $30 to remove the tint, and another $30 to put it back on? + $30 or so for the court, legal fees?

Old 01-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
1. Do NOT zip tie your plate.. they will send you home.. Instead do this
- Retrieve OEM bracket
- Find Front Plate
- Go to local dealer and ask for a dealer plate frame (it'll be free)
- Go to home depot and buy 4 SHORT SHORT SCREWS, Super Glue, 3M Tape, Felt Tape
- GLUE your short screws on to your plate frame
- 3M tape your Frame to your Plate, 3M tape your Plate to your OEM plate holder.
- Apply FELT tape around the edges of your plate frame.. (so it doesnt scratch your car
- Apply 3M tape on your plate frame.. and stick to car.
2. Go to a tint place (CALIFORNIA TINT IN ROSEMEAD 626-287-7321 ASK FOR PETER) tell him Eric sent you it sound be around $40-60 for remove and re-tint
3. Go to a CHP place to get it signed off.. CHP signs your ticket off for FREE.
4. Pay your $10-$15 ticket

Old 01-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Driving in SFV....!

Hey, it's allright to complain about getting nailed for that kinda BS! I have
35% Tint and no front plate and so do 35% of the drivers in his area. I'm
not sure with all the traffic that anyone could go 70 MPH on that street...
you're right LAPD was just bored. Easy fix on the tint, just remove the tint
on the drivers/passangers windows. When it's written off have it reinstalled.
I believe with the front plate that Stillen has a bracket to screws onto the
towhook hole. I tried Erics fix several years ago and the sheriff laughed at
my attempt......Ouch! Good Luck Jeff

Gary C

Old 01-17-2008, 04:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sternroolz

J/K

SUNSHIELD GLASS TINTING
4704 Van Nuys Blvd.
Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
818/906-TINT(8468)

thats exactly where i go and i was just about to quote you the same deal. I had 5s got a ticket had them taken off went to chp, and back to the tint shop losing 60 total.

The way i see it tints are like a yearly subscription.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:17 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
I got pulled over for no front plate and tinted windows. My tint is only 35% all around, but I guess they were bored. They also said they know "this car" and they see me "haulin" up and down Rinaldi St. Bull****. One of the cops said he pulled me over for having no front plate, tinted windows, and the exhaust. I told him I had a stock exhaust and he even questioned me. Idiot.

Anyway, he handed me my ticket and told me to slow down, which I agree to an extent since I kinda took the left turn a little faster that I usually do, but I wasn't speeding. He said he saw me before doing 70mph on a 40mph, which I'm 99% sure I didn't do. I told him my gf just moved here recently and he said "oh, it wasn't too long ago that it happened." Whatever. As if I'm the only one in Northridge that has a black G35.

Also, please don't give me that "you broke the law, quit bitching" stuff, please.

Thanks,
Jeff
did cop use a device to measure your tint light transparency?

If he did he needs to specify in the notes that he is trained to use that device and that device was tested before and after he gave you the ticket.

Request DISCOVERY (officers notes) from court and prosecutors office and you'll be able to make your case base on that.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
damn that sucks

Old 01-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
they don't need a device to measure transparency. in cali, any tint on the front windows is illegal, so it is pretty obvious when there is tint on there.

when i got my ticket for speeding/tint, the cop just looked at the window and gave me a ticket for tint

Old 01-17-2008, 04:36 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
...As if I'm the only one in Northridge that has a black G35.

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff, I see a ton of black G35 coupes in the Northridge area

I have 35% on my front windows, no license plates, and a very loud (but good) sounding exhaust. Luckaly, I have never been pulled over. Usually, if you don't give them an excuse for pulling you over (ie. speeding, rolling through stop signs), they usually won't bother people regardings plates & tints. But I guess some just get unlucky.

Also, 1+ on Sunshield Glass Tinting in Sherman Oaks.

PS. You mentioned exhaust. Did a cop check under your car for no-cats? Just curious

Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
Jeff, I see a ton of black G35 coupes in the Northridge area

I have 35% on my front windows, no license plates, and a very loud (but good) sounding exhaust. Luckaly, I have never been pulled over. Usually, if you don't give them an excuse for pulling you over (ie. speeding, rolling through stop signs), they usually won't bother people regardings plates & tints. But I guess some just get unlucky.

Also, 1+ on Sunshield Glass Tinting in Sherman Oaks.

PS. You mentioned exhaust. Did a cop check under your car for no-cats? Just curious
Maybe it was you that he was talking about! Haha. Jk. Regarding the exhaust, he assumed I had an exhaust. I told him they were stock. He checked the back of my car and said "So you're saying that Infiniti makes exhaust like that now, eh?" I replied with a yes. But no, he did not check underneath my car. I don't think he knew jack about cars.

In any case, thanks for all the suggestions!

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 01-17-2008, 07:22 PM
i still don't know if its legal to have an aftermarket exhaust. I hear people say if you show the cop a documentation of the exhaust showing its under the legal sound level then you're fine, is that true?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by phatice
i still don't know if its legal to have an aftermarket exhaust. I hear people say if you show the cop a documentation of the exhaust showing its under the legal sound level then you're fine, is that true?
Exhausts aren't illegal unless their loudness passes the 95 decibel limit. BUT a cop can use his own judgement in whether he believes the exhaust is too loud or not

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over tonight.