Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Extended warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
How exactly are you going to get around paying sales tax?
The same way I don't pay California sales tax when I purchase something from Amazon.com. Unless an out of state company (in this case an out of state Infiniti dealership) has a business presents in California they don't collect California sales tax. It's up to the individual to report it on their tax filings.

Back in the day people used to travel to Oregon to buy cars because Oregon has no state sales tax. But California got wise to that because you still have to register the car in California. How California is going to know you bought an extended warranty out of state and force you pay tax is unknown to me.

Last year when I purchase my Infiniti extended warranty from an out of state dealer, no California sales tax was collected from that dealership.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You know, you are still technically supposed to pay that sales tax. Just because the dealer doesn't collect it for the state doesn't mean that you don't owe it.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Hey Mike, wanna give me a quote while Infiniti still allows it? 2005 G35x, 22K miles, clean carfax and have verified with Infiniti that warranty and vehicle o.k.

High price so far is Herb Chambers who is local to me at around $2K. Infiniti of Nashua who is actually closer is around $1300 for the 48/60,000 and $100 deductible, and I have a couple cheaper.

Quick question on the Elite? That is for bumper to bumper, is there an additional increase on power train? Right now I have 10 months and 38,000 left on bumper to bumper, and 34 months and 48,000 on power train, so was just wondering if I was just getting 38 months and 22,000 miles more on the bumper to bumper and 14 months and 12,000 additional on the power train beyond original coverage

Thanks

Old 09-06-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm sorry, but we do not sell extended warranties without first inspecting the car to check for pre-existing conditions.

This is the exact reason manufactuers are cracking down on internet sales of warranties.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:35 PM
On the surface I understand your point, but since the car still has basically a year bumper to bumper (38,000) and almost 3 years PT (48,000) wouldn't those "pre-existing" conditions already be service covered under existing warranty?

Old 09-06-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm sorry, but we do not sell extended warranties without first inspecting the car to check for pre-existing conditions.

This is the exact reason manufactuers are cracking down on internet sales of warranties.
Let this be a lesson to anyone learking on this thread. If Infiniti is going to crack down on the sale of out of state / Internet extended warranties, call around and get one while you can. Once the local dealers have a monopoly on these and require inspections, the prices are bound to go up (unless you have a friend like Mike@RiversideInfiniti who can get you a good deal)

Old 09-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 1fastg35sedan
lol whats up mike. are you still cool with helping me out with the whole extended warranty? i'll let you know when i'm free to roll down there.
Tae...shut up...and just pay!!! Mikes a busy man, if it doesn't make dollars it doesn't make sense!!! J.k J.k, good luck bro

Old 09-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by slowsocalg35
Let this be a lesson to anyone learking on this thread. If Infiniti is going to crack down on the sale of out of state / Internet extended warranties, call around and get one while you can. Once the local dealers have a monopoly on these and require inspections, the prices are bound to go up (unless you have a friend like Mike@RiversideInfiniti who can get you a good deal)
Why would that be the case? Our cost isn't going to change; they're simply going to ban the practice.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by Maui5150
On the surface I understand your point, but since the car still has basically a year bumper to bumper (38,000) and almost 3 years PT (48,000) wouldn't those "pre-existing" conditions already be service covered under existing warranty?
99.9% of the general population uses the term "Bumber to bumper" for warranties. Your basic warranty is not "bumper to bumper". Not everything is covered for 4/60. You need to read the find print on your warranty; it comes with a (rather large) warranty booklet for that exact reason.

A lot of items' coverages are extended to the full term of the extended warranty when you purchase it, and those items are already out of warranty.

That is why the car MUST be checked for pre-existing conditions.

Any dealership that sells these over the internet has questionable morals, and I would be wary.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts
Listen to Mike people......he works in this shiet!!!!

Old 09-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Well that is interesting, considering out of about 25+ Infiniti dealers I have talked to over the last 2 days, you are the first who has had any issues. This covers dealers in Texas, Florida, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, California, and Arizona as a brief listing. So 25 out of about what, 170 total dealers nationwide.

Part of your answer still does not make sense to me. If the part is currently covered under warranty, and an inspection reveals that there are issues, isn't the dealer responsible for addressing that work under the current warranty???

Also not sure how that makes a dealer "shady". Infiniti is the one who currently allows the practice, Infiniti is the one providing the coverage, and as far as I can see, the only difference is how much a markup a dealer is wants to charge, just like some dealers have a $230 doc fee, others have $95, etc.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Why would that be the case? Our cost isn't going to change; they're simply going to ban the practice.
Supply and demand!! When I was calling around last year prices varied wildly from hundreds over MSRP to hundreds less. If you read Maui5150's post, he is seeing a $700 variation in price by calling around. If local dealers don't have to compete against the out of state internet Super dealers (Grubbs for instance) the local dealers can raise their price as high as they like and the buyer will have to take it or leave it. Maybe Riverside Infiniti isn't in business to maximize profit, but most dealerships are.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Infiniti does not 'allow' it; they simply never said that it ISN'T allowed.

Don't come running to me if you have a warranty claim denied; I suggest you go to your local dealership with any quotes you may have, and get it done properly, as opposed to purchasing over the internet.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 PM
I am also trying to get an understanding on what is covered, what isn't... At one point over the last week I had found an online version of the Elite coverage but now can't find it that I wanted to review.

Likewise, in my case, I still have a year on basic and almost 3 on power train, so anything that was found during an inspection, should be corrected and as such, should not have any "variable" cost to the warranty, i.e. since it has been addressed.

An alternative solution to the inspections as well would be to require an inspection from an authorized Infiniti dealer within 30 days of purchase of the warranty and have Infiniti set the rate charged by the dealers to cut back on price gouging. I can definitely see a Herb Chambers charging $500 for an inspection for an extended warranty purchased elsewhere, where other dealers might only charge $100 or a little more.

When it comes down to it, Infiniti would not be selling extended warranties if they were not making money. These vehicles have a higher build quality than your entry level vehicles, but also a far steeper depreciation rate. The attractiveness for this kind of vehicle diminishes greatly with the absence of an extended warranty or in areas where dealers grossly over mark the price, because a large segment of G35s hitting the marked are lease vehicles whose first owner will only own the car less than 3 years and 36,000 miles typically. This is especially true where in many states there is not an Infiniti dealer, as well as in perhaps 30 states, there are 2 or less dealers in the who state.

Likewise, two of the more expensive dealers who were quoting me prices were out of state, or were going to sell online/over the phone without an inspection, so it is not just the low margin dealers who are selling warranty sans inspection.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:09 PM
And I appreciate your input Mike, so not trying to make this a bash on you or any of your information.

Locally Infiniti of Nashua is my cheapest by $700 over the crooks at Herb Chambers. I have three dealers over the Internet who are anywhere from $100 - 300 cheaper than Nashua, and the dealer I liked was even going to do a 0% financing for a year.

Time to give Infiniti a call on Monday and directly ask if I can purchase from the dealer I want to or have to go local.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty