Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

OCT-1 ... Open Track event (Buttonwillow)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 08:49 PM
Team Transport Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: OCT-1 ... Open Track event (Buttonwillow)

If its your first time tracking your in the Yellow I believe if the colors havent changed. If you're really lucky and the track isnt too full they might let you move up but by the end of the day only a few cars will eb left so everyone will be running together.

03 6MT Coupe Blk/Blk> Injen CAI, Hotchkis adj Sway Bars, Test Pipes< "Nt G R8D" Aj

Old 09-20-2004, 08:50 PM

How far is the Track from LA to Buttonwillow? HRS?

2003 G35C Premium Brilliant Silver/Willow Leather
Tein S-Tech Springs * Nissan clear corners
Pop Charger * Bose audio system
Navi * Delphi XM Radio

Old 09-20-2004, 11:15 PM
G Kreuzer

Based on what you answered regarding your 'experience' during registration, they'll put you in the appropriate group. If for some reason you feel you are mis-placed, then ask to be relocated. You're certainly more than welcome to ask to be advanced to the next group up ... as long as they feel it's appropriate.

Clint (THX723)

Old 09-20-2004, 11:20 PM
G Kreuzer

Also, due to Gurgen's recent mishap ... I could be ONE other person's instructor at the track. Let me know if you'd rather have me as the person that tells you what not to do In either case, if you have signed up for an instructor, someone will be appointed to you during driver's meeting.

Clint (THX723)

Old 09-20-2004, 11:25 PM
G Kreuzer

Buttonwillow is a couple of hours from LA at a leisure pace ... and about an hour fifteen at Warp-9

Are you coming out for rides Steph?

Clint (THX723)

Old 09-20-2004, 11:46 PM

Clint: I'll take you up on your offer as an instructor. Gotta show me the ropes. Also since I'm a novice, what is the rules of a friend riding along with me during the latter part of the day? He has his own helmet.

6Speed: I just reserved a room at the Motel 6 as well for Fri night. $30 is a great price for a good nights rest. Not sure what time I'll be there but PM me some details and maybe we can meet up. I'll most likely have a spectator friend with me. At the least we can caravan out to the track on Sat morning.

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium
Z-Tube / NFC Y-Pipe / Custom Mid-Pipe / 350 EVO Rear Sway/ '03 350Z Shocks and Springs<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by dklau33 on 09/20/04 08:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-20-2004, 11:54 PM
G Kreuzer

Ok Darren, I'll let them know you'll be my other pupil for the day. Make sure you friend (or anyone who wishes to ride along) sign-in at the registration desk and get a wrist-band for riding shot-gun. Helmet is always required to be on the track.

Clint (THX723)

Old 09-21-2004, 01:36 AM

Right on, thanks Clint!

Darren

04' G35S 6MT Ivory Pearl, Willow, Premium
Z-Tube / NFC Y-Pipe / Custom Mid-Pipe / 350 EVO Rear Sway/ '03 350Z Shocks and Springs

Old 09-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an extra brand new Bell Pro helmet, size 7 and 1/8, so Imagine G can borrow that one.

Time from LA to the track or the motels at that little Buttonwillow truck stop area is about two hours drive time. There is a big Union 76 Gas station there to top off your tank either the night before or early the next morning.
Check in is 7am at the gate.
There will be either three or four run groups. The advanced group typically is the "red" wrist band group, and they go first.
The second group is typically intermediates, and if there are a lot of drivers there will be two intermediate groups, colored blue and white. They may make a distinction between the two as to skill level, but often they do not and it is just a way to get the number of cars on the track reduced. The novice drivers are yellow group. You get about 20-25 minutes on the track each time out. Believe me, it will be plenty for you. Put it in the context of the intensity of a roller coaster ride, but for 20 minutes instead of 2 minutes on the ride!!!!!! You will be a tired little puppy at the end of the day.

I will try to get up there the night before also, but probably will not make it by 8pm. More like 9 or 10. Getting back from a week in Boston the day before, swapping out wheels and such on Friday.

Need to get the ecu reprogrammed. Now that I have the J&S installed and the one step colder plugs the two degrees of timing I took out at the top end is no longer necessary, and it is costing me about 20hp........I want it back!

If you are pulling in that evening and want to grab something to eat late, my cell number is 626-318-3177. If you want some help early the next morning before check in with pretech on your car, I will be happy to help with that too. I have the tire pressure gauge, pyrometer etc etc so we can do base line readings, and then if we put our cars together in the paddock you can borrow and use the equipment too if you so desire. I will put it out in a box so it will be easy to access and return.
If you have any doubts about where you belong, then you belong in the lower of the two groups you are thinking about. It is that simple. Once you get going, if it seems clear you should move up, they are good about allowing that. Typically one runs in the novice group two or three times, but I have been to events where some folks that have run five times still run in novice....especially if it is the first time on a particular track for them. I ran Buttonwillow, Sears Point, Laguna Seca, and Willow Springs all in novice, with instructors at the first three. It was obvious by the fourth that I needed to move up, so for Cal Speedway I went to intermediate. It was a big difference. I think the spread in lap speeds between the two was about ten seconds, so from gradually working up from being a slower half person in novice to perhaps among the fastest in novice, I then went to middle of the pack or lower half again in intermediate at Cal Speedway. And the advanced drivers were probably ten seconds a lap faster than the middle of the pack intermediates. When you are going with the flow of your group, it is more fun and it is safer for everyone too. You don't like to be held up too much by slower drivers, and you don't like to have to be pulling over and pointing faster drivers by. If you are only a second or two apart from each other in lap speed, you can get out there and only pass a couple drivers, or be passed by a couple, in a whole session and it seems like you have the track to yourself almost, and yet you are really "cookin" to the best of your skill levels and can concentrate on your learning and experience, and that is great reward.

Good luck, drive safe, see you up there.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 09-21-2004, 10:50 AM

Can spectators like myself get there at anytime? How much? What day are you mostly going to all be there?

2003 G35C Premium Brilliant Silver/Willow Leather
Tein S-Tech Springs * Nissan clear corners
Pop Charger * Bose audio system
Navi * Delphi XM Radio<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by g35chic on 09/21/04 08:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-21-2004, 12:02 PM
Team Transport Member

Steph we'll all be there on Saturday! Ed or Clint I want a few pointers as usual if you guys have time. PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!
Cant wait to see you all its going to be a wild day it seems like. Driving up friday night sounds good to me too that way im not too tempted to get out of hand and be late and hung over saturday. HEHEHEHE )

03 6MT Coupe Blk/Blk&gt; Injen CAI, Hotchkis adj Sway Bars, Test Pipes&lt; "Nt G R8D" Aj

Old 09-21-2004, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the contact info for the Super 8 Motel, and I am told this morning that they are filling up for that Friday night, so if you have not made a reservation, you should get to it soon.

Super 8, Buttonwillow
20681 Tracy Blvd
Buttonwillow, CA 93206
661-764-5117
http://www.super8.com/Super8/control...d=SE&pid=08396

Check in for the drivers is 7am, and there is a meeting usually around 7:30. You need time to check and get your driver packages and wrist bands, and for beginners that meeting on safety and rules and flags is very important. For advanced drivers it is less so, but still it should be considered mandatory for all skill levels, because there will be current track condition info etc.
Spectators can arrive anytime they want. And since they will not be driving, arrival around 9am is probably fine because it is not likely any groups will be hitting the track until 8:30 at the earliest anyway, and the newbies around 9:30am.
Tracks vary on the spectator fee, but usually it is something like ten bucks for the whole day.
If you are going to ride, you need to have long pants, long sleeved cotton shirt (synthetics are bad for flame protection), closed toe shoes (sneaks are fine), and a helmet. That is it.
Takes about two hours to drive up there from Pasadena starting on the 210, so figure out drive time from where you are to get to the 134/210
Cheers.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 09-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Eagle, THX and others,

When will the group be passing through the Valencia/Magic Mountain area?

If you give me a ring on my cell phone as you pass Magic Mountain (661) 702-1110 I will hit the Hazley freeway on ramp as I see the group driving near.

You won't be able to miss my black Sedan. It will have the straight pipes installed.

Tony

2004 G35 6MT Blk/Blk Sedan Stillen Air, Stillen Exhaust

Old 09-21-2004, 06:19 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G

Tony, why not just meet us at Denny's right off the Rexford exit? We'll be there at 4am. I believe that's REXFORD...anyone confirm?

2 G or not 2 G, there's no question!

Old 09-21-2004, 06:20 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G

Clint, can you be so kind as to list all of the items to bring that you recommend, like you did last time? I tried searching for the list but couldn't find it.

-Randy

2 G or not 2 G, there's no question!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OCT-1 ... Open Track event (Buttonwillow)