Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

OCT-1 ... Open Track event (Buttonwillow)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 05:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: OCT-1 ... Open Track event (Buttonwillow)

while 4:30AM was too early for me, i'm SO GLAD I met you all out there!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG, I have NEVER had than much fun in my life!!!! Clint, THANK YOU!!!!!!! Not only did I have the time of my life, for better or worse you may have indirectly saved my relationship!

My best time was 2:16, Katie threw down a 2.19 and I handed her the car straight off a white group run (for her yellow group) with the brakes HOT and the tires GOOEY and she was in AT mode! Girl can drive, I think she was just being careful with my baby.

We both left with such a better appreciation for the car, the tuning ive done and each other for that matter. I'm already looking to sign up for streets of willow in November So is Katie Thank you to everyone I met there, and everyone who was so helpful!!!!

Ed, GOOD TO SEE YOU STRANGER As always the pleasure was mine.

Tech questions for you guys: Looks like I chewed my rotors pretty good. I'm going to have them checked...is this normal? They are stop-tech drilled rotors, HP hawk pads, stock calipers (non-brembo).

Also: some tire / rim suggestions pls My volks were not the happiest tonights, even after some babying. I need to have the rims re-polished, but i think ill put down much better times with some race 18's. Looks like i'll be trying to track as often as possible...wear life will be a factor for me as well.

thanks in advance!

My Team Transport Profile

Old 10-03-2004, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A HUGE round of applause to Clint for setting the wheels in motion to make this event happen for so many G drivers. What a great day. The weather was perfect, the track was in good shape, and except for a couple of idiotic moves by VW guys (hey just kidding) it was interruption free. (what is a broken drive shaft and an exploding gas tank among friends, right?)
I have not been out for several months, and could not mount a camera due to the new seats, and the suction mount for the camera did not give enough space to fit the Canon GL-2 video set up, so all I have are some shots from the balcony off the tripod. Iori got some shots of my car, and got some of several of the G35's blasting down the front straight, and through Cotton Corners and down the back, angling through the dogleg and then down Riverside turn and over to Lost Hill. Iori has the tape, so when he is done wowing his daughters and wife, I will get it back and do some editing and post a little article with a video link.
I only got to do three runs because of the delay they had scraping the remains of the GTI off the track after he flamed up, but the last two were in the blue group, and the third session was basically all lap times in the 2:13/2:14 's, so I was happy enough. Fried my EGT gauge sensor though, and got it up to a tickle over 127 mph just after dogleg, which was groovy. High point might have been going through the cloud of dust after the WRX in front when off left, then shot across track right, coming out of the carousel and into the esses ( more than a few lost it there), and having an M3 lock up his brakes going into Cotton Corners and have to dip inside and go underneath him while he straight braked into the pebbles on the left. (I LOVE those StopTechs).
Plug for Sparco seats, boys and girls. They really were comfortable on the ride up, and on the track those Milanos, if you want a performance seat that holds your little bottom in there but still is civil for daily use, is absolutely the ticket to ride. Good lumbar support, non slip, plenty of foam comfort. I was grunting from the g pressure coming through both Carousel and Sunset.

LET'S GO AGAIN SOON!!!!!!

Cheers and best wishes to all. It was a great time!
Ed.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 10-03-2004, 09:00 PM
G Kreuzer

Josh,
You're so welcome. I'm glad to be able to help

Whipsering to Ed, "I think we suckered yet another one here!!!"

It sure looked like both you and Katie had a ball out there. ***** yall certainly have ... going w. VDC fuse pulled. NICE! With the exception of a few key spots, Buttonwillow is very generous with respect to off road excursions. Another reason why I love the place so much. So, you certainly pick the right spot to learn how to do flying 360s. haha.

As usual, I haven't the chance to really tackle any hotlaps until it is all too late. For the last session of the day, I went out on a mission to drop some fast laps ... only to run out of gas just when I begin to get the groove down. She was sputtering and coughing badly all through the laps ... finally, I just pulled off in fear of over heating the fuel pump and causing damage to the engine. Darn it!!! Ending the day only in the 2:11s. The new Stoptech brakes were amazing ... biting harder than expected and absolutely no fades (yay!).

Clint (THX723)

Old 10-03-2004, 09:10 PM
G Kreuzer

Ed,
It was a pleasure to gather a bunch of us to play together. Iori was going great out there. A very nice gentleman btw. Tell him I said hi and thanks for coming out.

I'm also glad you were able to imbrace Buttonwillow this time around. It wasn't anything to do with the fact your G was lonely (being the onely one) last time was it?

For the little track time I got ... I was very pleased to say my car's finally handling like I wanted her. Willow Springs was a big disaster. I didn't like how she behaved at all. So, I can't wait to get out there again myself. LET'S DO IT!!!

Clint (THX723)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by THX723 on 10/03/04 06:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 10-04-2004, 12:19 AM

im doing streets of willow on NOv. 12th if any of you are interested

My Team Transport Profile

Old 10-04-2004, 01:06 AM
Team Transport Member

Clint thanks you again for another amazing day it was great seeing everyone ED and some newbie's Glad us transport guys are nuts track one dya show the next. Im in for streets as well Josh ill be on your tail again till they flag you to let me by; hehehehehe x

03 6MT Coupe Blk/Blk&gt; Injen CAI, Hotchkis adj Sway Bars, Test Pipes&lt; "Nt G R8D" Aj

Old 10-04-2004, 01:08 AM

Clint:
I am definitely going to try to get out there at least once more this year, twice if I can swing it. I would like to do Cal Speedway again, and Big Willow. Thunderhill and Spring Mountain wouldn't be too bad either. And next year early, Laguna Seca, definitely.

And yes, Iori can drive! I watched as he came down the straight out of the esses and towards Sunset, and another driver waving people got a little goofed up, but Iori was committed, so he slipped left, dive bombed inside and then squirted out......geez it looked like Fittipaldi! Smooth and clean but ..............eeeeeks. Good thing nobody was watching because it was the real deal, and that is not what is supposed to happen in yellow group. I think he should go up a rank (or two).
If you ran 2:11's you were smokin out there.
And yes those StopTechs were king....I was really going a lot deeper and later than a lot of the guys in blue group. And getting better speed down the straights about three quarters down...but my apex choices were not real good and I had some real deficiencies in maximizing exit speed, real fundamental stuff, so the bow was a lot better than the archer yesterday. But what a fun and thrilling day. Just a wonderful time, and so glad that so many of the G drivers could get out, enjoy it, no broken cars and lots of smiles. I hope lots of them get on the board and talk about it and spread the word. It makes us all better and more experienced drivers, and safer on the streets too. We learn to take it to the track, and also leave it there. Like Steve McQueen said about racing...everything before and after...is just waiting!

Peace and sweet dreams everyone. This driver is getting some early z's tonight.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 10-04-2004, 01:16 PM
G Kreuzer

Ed,
I would love to head up to Thunderhill in late November. That's one of the few tracks I haven't had a chance to tackle and I would like to do it at least once. The long journey up to the Sacremento area makes me cringe and think otherwise. For some reason, I have absolutely no problem putting up to Laguna Seca, which is only an hour or so before Thunderhill. Go figure.

I'd also like to hit California Speedway in mid Decemeber, as it is so darn close and inviting. Fontana is virtually right in our own back yard. It sure takes pretty pennies to partake, however. At $290 (ouch!), that's two thrilling days at Buttonwillow. Then again, nobody said this hobby was cheap

I figure by the time I roll up to the Sacremento area for Thunderhill it would have amounted to roughly $100 just in gas, food and lodging ... if not more. This brings the grand total to: $190 + $100 = $290 = Cali Speedway! So, I'm definitely leaning towards Cali Speedway here.

LET'S DO IT! ... this is becoming the new slogan here (started by you, Ed)

Oh and Laguna Seca next Feb. is DEFINITELY on.

Clint (THX723)

Old 10-05-2004, 12:23 AM

Cal Speedway is a definite yes for me, as is Laguna Seca. The Thunderhill track I want to do at least one time in the future, but Thanksgiving weekend is not going to be it!

Getting the cage put in late this month. Puttin some 'tude in the coupe.

By the way, dropping four degrees negative camber on the front, it did not understeer one single time all day, though the butt did come out on several occasions. It grabs and grabs up front like that. How did you like the camber adjustment you put into your sedan?

Old 10-05-2004, 01:12 AM
G Kreuzer

Alright .. then it's settled. Cali Speedway here I come.

Oh man, the extra front negative camber dialed in w. the A-arm worked like a charm for me. That I was very pleased. As you may know I was not very happy w. my car at Big Willow. Nearly all of the understeer was gone I'm glad I went w. that mod ... very very pleased with it.

btw ... the Times (select 10-2-2004 - BW 14CW) are posted at Speed Ventures. They're on their ***** this time!

Clint (THX723)<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by THX723 on 10/04/04 10:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 10-05-2004, 10:19 PM

OK, Clint. I signed up for Cal Speedway.
Gotta find something else to run in the interim. The bug is gnawing at me.

Mike, how are those Stop Tech rotors and new pads doing for you?

Old 10-06-2004, 01:31 AM
G Kreuzer

Wheewh ... Ed, you certainly don't waste your time :O I'm there behind you.

Is our good friend Iori going to join us as well? Due to the higher cost for Cali Speedway, I suspect it will be a tighter pack this time around, which is totally fine. None the less, we could hope for more Gs to attend as well.

BTW ... this is on the same weekend as the JGTC event at Cali Speedway. I'm sure we will catch glimpse of those godly GT cars from Japan. I can hardly wait ... make mental note to bring Digicam!

Clint (THX723)

Old 10-06-2004, 10:14 PM

Clint:

I think Iori will be with us, but I have to check in with him for family schedule conflicts.

My EDFC unit is squawking at me and will not reset, and I think the EGT sensor on that warning meter is fried. The Buttonwillow trip was not without its consequences! Got to pull out the manuals and see what is going on, and possibly replace some little bits here and there. Oh well. Higher performance is higher maintenance. (You can quote me on that!).

Yes. Cal Speedway is more expensive. It is also very close by. You get your own barn stall (maybe not this time with JGTC). But I think the track is an excellent test of driving skill. You MUST heel/toe downshift into turn 3, the turn 10 hairpin, and 13/14 compound esses. If you have high horsepower, and some cojones, you can get to 150mph+ down the front straight and into the high banked oval. Not recommended for stock set ups, but with some suspension mods and good rubber, and some experience, it is an awesome thing and unlike anything you can encounter on any other track in California. The configuration throws an awful lot of stuff at you. The only thing that it lacks is elevation changes, and that is not to diminish that factor, because it is a significant one. Part of what makes Sears Point and Laguna Seca so special are those elevation elements. Even Buttonwillow with Cotton Corners and Lost Hill throws some very elegant little tests at us. Big Willow has the Omega and Turn 6. So some folks can bash the course as boring.

But nothing else has an eleven degree banked straight and fourteen degree high banked oval or speeds anywhere close to CalSpeedway. Best I could do on Buttonwillow was 127mph in fifth gear on the back straight after the dogleg. And on the back straight at Big Willow 131mph. At Sears it was even less than those courses. Just too many turns and short straights. But CalSpeedway? You get sixth gear on the front. Big time sixth gear, with pedal on the floor. It is a must do track.....for intermediates and up. I do not think it is such a great place for a first timer, nor candidly is Sears Point, unless as a novice one has an affinity for concrete walls behind hairpin turns.

Shall we start another sign up thread for CalSpeedway?
BTW, I am getting my custom cage the week of the 25th this month. Then some harnesses (Sparco has to be the way to go there). Gee whiz Clint, you have totally messed up my life with this driving stuff, and I only started in February of this year with you. Payback is in your future young man!