Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Dec 17 - Track Event - California Speedway + JGTC!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 05:18 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bog35
it is nice to be able to watch those JGTC prctice. although now we only going to have 4 sessions instead of 5 and the SOS will be running together with the white group. at least the first white session wont be combined. it will be a great day regardless!
Sorry for the ignorance but, what's SOS? That sux that we get shorted a session! Is it cuz the JGTC event?

Old 12-16-2004, 05:54 PM
the JGTC practice will take almost 2hrs, i am sure that is why. the SOS group i am guessing is what the yellow group (first timer) used to be.

Old 12-16-2004, 07:33 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Originally Posted by bog35
the JGTC practice will take almost 2hrs, i am sure that is why. the SOS group i am guessing is what the yellow group (first timer) used to be.
I guess what sucks is, I didn't pay $310 to watch other cars from another event take up my track time. I calculated total time for driving on the track and it's 4 25 minutes sessions for a total of 1 hour and 40 minutes of racing. That's about $3.10 a minute of racing. The last event I attended with Speedventures gave us 5 30 minute sessions. Call me a loud mouth, but I'd like to spend more time on the track for what I am paying.

Old 12-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Wow I bet you guys had fun. So how was it?

Old 12-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All things considered, it was a pretty good time. We had to make some concessions, such as splitting time in the briefing room with the JGTC drivers, losing our garage space because of all the race teams needing to set up, etc., and losing a bit of time in the middle of the day to a practice session, but that gave us over an hour of time to watch the JGTC cars blasting around the track, which is pretty good entertainment when you want to get some gatorade and a burger anyway. The weather was clear, 75 degrees, and a moderate but steady breeze....chamber of commerce type So Cal conditions in the winter.

I got to run the three blue group (intermediate) sessions before lunch and one after. The fifth session was right at sunset and going west the glare was way too intense for my comfort, especially coming off the banked oval turn at 130mph+ right into a faceful of glare and having to brake hard for that 90 degree turn between the tire walls....so I bagged the last session after only a couple of laps...it was just too much interference in the split second timing of making the braking and turn in decisions and it impacted my confidence. Now I need to get a shade shield!

Get this lads....the JGTC cars put in a brutally radical chicane at the end of the front straight before the banked oval, then diverted their cars around the bottom of the banked turn on the flat apron. We got to run the full straight and the complete "Roval" banked turns 1 and 2. Something about the techs on the JGTC circuit being worried about their cars blowing tires because the speeds and stresses would be way beyond anything they have on the remainder of their circuit in Asia, and thus potentially outside the parameters of design loads for their rubber. I don't know if that is completely accurate or not, but they certainly were not running the Roval. I bet their drivers were just salivating watching us blast through there, and then disappointed at not getting to do it themselves. But the PR guys are probably giving prayers of thanks, because you KNOW that if they were racing on that configuration, that somebody was going to eat some wall big time before the weekend was out, and they do not need the serious injury or worse to one of thier drivers at their inaugural introduction to the US.

Personally....I think that is what the configuration decision is about, driver safety and business promotion for the racing concept in the US. They have known for a long time what course they were running and if anyone thinks that the tire makers can't do rubber for those cars that will handle those conditions they are foolish. A stock RA-1 Toyo takes our little G35 through that bank at 130+ mph with ease. This is speculation, but figure those JGTC cars would be doing 160+.........and for all I know the 500hp versions at 180mph+, and the angst over disaster scenarios gets very large. Probably a correct decision, and it sounds better to say that the tire specs are problematic, rather than that the promoters don't have the cojones to let the drivers do what they do....drive.

A bunch of the execs were down checking out our cars at the end of the day. I had half a dozen with their heads under the bonnet checking out the intercooled supercharger and koyo radiator set up, while I was doing cool down and clean up from the late afternoon session.

Randy, Clint, Bo, Avo, Josh, Gurgen, Gabe were all there and we were pitted in a row, and numerous files of drivers from JGTC were seen pointing and smiling and saying "Skyline".

I have some cool video chasing a black Z0-6 which then spins off track in front of me when he locks up going into the chicane after the long straight down the infield.

The track is fast, pulling times in the 2:07 to 2:25 range for 21 turns in just under three miles for our G coupes and sedans. There were a number of mishaps during the day, none involving car to car collisions that I could see, but definitely some spin outs, off track excursions, and a couple of contacts with tire barriers that took cars out of their normal physical profile.

It was a great time. Thanks to all of the Gsters who came out and ran this day.

Old 12-19-2004, 06:02 PM
I can only imagine, the japanese drivers going, OMG SKYLINES!!! I wish i could have seen that. Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Old 12-19-2004, 07:35 PM
Team Transport Member
Ed I couldnt have said it better myself. It was an awesome day I did get bored after about 45min of hearing those open exhuast gt cars roar by but it was a good show none the less. It was one wild day I give props to the NASCAR drivers doing those turns at 180+mph. Coming down the front straight at 130+mph at time and hitting that banked turn will bring your ***** to your throat.

Glad everyone came home safe except for a few cars; Gurgen I feel you man but you had fun so dont think about it too much, and Josh this just means a new body kit. HEHEHE Glad it was the tires and not the rock wall. let me know if you need anything man

Old 12-20-2004, 12:40 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Whoa. AJ... What happened? It doesn't sound good....

Old 12-20-2004, 03:08 AM
Hydrazine:
No biggies, nobody hurt. The track is very fast, and there are a couple of spots where the technique to get around gets complicated quickly. One spot that is actually not very fast, but slippery and due to a tire wall totally unforgiving, is at the extreme west end of the infield circuit. You have to come out of a turn with the throttle down and go straight at a wall of tires, keep very wide right, then straight brake and dive in to the left turn late.

The temptation is to keep too much speed and cut the corner early....which will throw the car into the wall. There is not much difference in distance or speed, but the impact of braking and turning is a viciously sensitive one.

When you suddenly have that epiphany that you are too tight and too fast you have two choices only. The first is to try to turn, lose the back end and smack the wall sideways. Major damage and possibly injury from a broadside smack. The second is to straight brake and lose as much speed as the car can lose, and eat a few tires. Lower speed and less damage. Heavy hood ornaments. Josh got loose and made the smart instinctive choice in a split second, but pranged his front end. Nobody hurt, damage is minor, red face is such that it would be good to not bring it up if he is holding anything sharp at the time.

Don't know what the score is with Gurgen's rocket ship. It started blowing some blue smoke, so he took it off track and will get it diagnosed.

Performance Nissan lost a race car into a wall and tore a good chunk of the back end apart. A very nice Porsche took a hammering someplace out there and was really messed up.

But by and large it was uneventful.

Old 12-20-2004, 03:22 AM
Team Transport Member
I think Gurgens just burned some rings to give us all a fair advantage to keep up the Porsche GT3 forgot how low he is and tryed to hop over candycane lane and broke his rear axcel in two no biggy its just a GT3 hehehehehe

Old 12-20-2004, 11:14 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Was that Jason from Performance Nissan?

Old 12-20-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Was that Jason from Performance Nissan?
No, it was one of their race team cars.

Old 12-20-2004, 02:32 PM
Sounds like a good time was had by all and the JGTC stuff must have been impressive. Too bad I couldn't make this one. So when and where is the next one? I see Speed Ventures has some Streets Of Willow events coming in the early part of '05.

Old 12-20-2004, 03:05 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Streets of Willow?... I won't be missing that one.

It looks like they have several events comming soon. I'll definitly be going. Should have all the mods hooked up and ready to go.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Streets of Willow?... I won't be missing that one.

It looks like they have several events comming soon. I'll definitly be going. Should have all the mods hooked up and ready to go.
\
They will be doing Laguna Seca on Jan 21st and I am definitely going to be at that one. The Big Track at Willow Springs is on the 30th, but I will be out of town on business unfortunately, and not able to run that one. You can check their events calendar at www.speedventures.net to find what is running, and bear in mind that the entire year is not yet set.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dec 17 - Track Event - California Speedway + JGTC!!!