Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Dyno Day: 2.19.2005

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 06:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
How does the Spacer compared to something like Kinetix or Crawford? Did anyone test the difference between different plenum solutions on that day? For example - Crawford dyno vs stock + spacer dyno. Has it been proven that the MD plenum spacer is superior to Crawford?

Old 02-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Memphis
I would like to thank you all that participated in the 2/19 Dyno Day. Your testing and reporting the results of your mods, especially the MD Spacer is much appreciated by myself and I'm sure the rest of the G35 and 350Z community.

As I was reviewing these results, I noticed at the bottom of the screen list of threads of related subjects.....one was a comparison of Mustang vs DynaJet dynos......Link......the thread shows that the Mustang will read lower than the DynaJet but for comparison purposes of before mods and after mods either type is fine.

Again, great job everyone that spent your time and $$$ to dyno your cars and thanks for sharing the results!!! It sounds like you had a great time doing it.
Memphis,

I've been wanting to see if Motordyne spacer was real deal or not. As you will soon see, the results are the REAL DEAL! I forgot to mention that after my baseline and spacer runs were completed, Derek had a "turbonator" that his bro gave him for x-mas. Since my G was already rigged on the dyno, we put a Tornado in my ztube rather than the Turbonator. We did a pull with the Tornado just for s hits and giggles. It showed that the Tornado results in a loss of 5HP. Wish you guys could have been there, it was pretty funny.

Btw, it was really nice to meet new faces and as always, it's good to see old friends.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Sukairain
How does the Spacer compared to something like Kinetix or Crawford? Did anyone test the difference between different plenum solutions on that day? For example - Crawford dyno vs stock + spacer dyno. Has it been proven that the MD plenum spacer is superior to Crawford?
My third run was supposed to be with Alberts V5, however, Albert had to leave early.

It'll be your call to determine what's superior. If I remember correctly, Crawford claims 9 peak hp.
If you go back to the other page, my first baseline run was 202, my first spacer run was 210.

$200 part vs $400 part that does the same thing.
You're Chinese, you do the math.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:55 PM
here is what i learned/noticed from the dyno day yesterday...

the mustang dyno can't read our numbers right...possibly due to calibration. i originally thought it was due to the rain, cold/wet tires, etc. but the numbers were consistently low throughout the day. perhaps the dynojet would've produced some better numbers.

what i did notice is that there is a slightly different setup for each of the cars. especially 5at vs 6mt , sedan vs coupe, 5at sedan vs 5at coupe. something with the ecu possibly. gotta remember to plug in the temp monitor before u start the car otherwise the readings jump around like there's a ghost in the machine.

the ecu reset seems to work pretty well. but i still can't get that "one two-step" thing that mel and pat were doing.

the spacers worked like a charm. no spacers vs. w/ spacers showed consistent gains throughout the runs. there was no denying that the spacers work as well as the plenums. it shows significant whp. there's also a slight "how-to" video for the spacer install too. sorry, i got kinda tired so i don't think i finished filming the end part of the install. i filmed the unbolting of the plenum, ztube, etc and then the placing of the spacer, bolts, etc. i think the only thing i didn't get a film of was the re-screwing of all the bolts n nuts after it was done, but that should be really simple. the tricky thing is to make sure all ur hoses are on and all the bolts are torqued right.

Old 02-20-2005, 07:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
using some calculations of Dizz's stock dyno using his 214 hp stock numbers, we can conclude that the percentage of drivetrain loss is ~31 percent. 280/214 us 1.31...

using that formula, we can see that most of the dynos were actually pretty accurate. the SC guys dynod about 290. if you multiply by it by 1.31 you get close to 390 hp which is what they dynod last time as well. of course the magic number isnt exactly 1.31 and is actually somehwere between the range of 1.30-1.35.

that is how i came to the conclusion of a 8 hp gain on my car.

also, my numbers as tested on the Bosch dyno last time were about 250 hp at the wheels. this time it was 220 before and 226 after, which matches up about the same considering a 18 percent drivetrain loss on the bosch dyno and a 35 percent loss on the mustang dyno.

so to everyone who was at the dyno: basically, multiply your numbers by 1.3-1.35 and you will see your power at the crank.

Old 02-20-2005, 07:05 PM
also, one more thing, my before dynos showed that my car was detonating at about 5K rpm due to a lean condition and my A/F shot up to 19. then after installing the spacer, i was no longer detonating and my car was running with a much better mix. i still have a bit of tuning to do at TS to fix a small bump up to 14 in A/F at about 4K, but that is not critical. this is a strange mystery.

Old 02-20-2005, 07:25 PM
highlights of the day...

i would've gotten there earlier if a certain g35chick had woken me up like i asked her to...not naming any names, of course. as glenn, donny, mel, kim and pat know i went through hell and beyond to get there (traffic, fwy closures, pouring rain, accidents, etc). but the main thing is that i got there. and just in time too. i got there right when terry was doing his run in the torque monster. that thing scared the heck outta me. it shook so violently on the dyno and pulled on the chains so hard that i had to get out of the garage for fear of my life lol. i think he got the highest torque numbers yesterday. i think pat can take the highest NA numbers for the day. kim's car ran so fast that styrofoam came shooting out the tires lol. mel's black smoke producing G forced me out of the garage too to save myself from the exhaust fumes, so i can go smoke a cigarette lol....phD randy not MD so its ok.

randys_g and usdm playing fast and furious in the back was fun too. too bad i couldn't get anymore evidence to bribe randy with lol....nice GTech stickers derek lol.

dizz, aka mr. moviestar, got all pissy when i took a picture of him sitting in his car when it wouldn't start up lol. but he got me back on the cruise back. he pulled on me going in 6th on the fwy...i had to take it down two notches to get up to speed for an even pull (spacer road test witness testimonial 1). then when i got into his car to head over to dinner (since we had nothing but a fish filet all day) donny was giving me a passenger side feel of the new power in mika (spacer road test witness testimonial 2)..."hey donny, u wanna show that cop ur new spacers?" lol.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:12 PM
My fiancé and I had a good time. Even though the owner of the shop decided to do a 1/4 mile run in my car bouncing off the redline in all gears and burning up my stock clutch in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear! My car still stinks!!! I mean I planned on upgrading my clutch but damn, not at 4,000 miles. Thanks Mr. dyno guy AKA "Squints" <------If you were there you will no what I mean by it. It was nice to meet all you and I'll see you on G day and hopefully D1 that Sunday!

By the way I’ll post the pictures I got from dyno day on my site in the events area.

Check it out a little later.

www.JDMV35.com

David G

Old 02-20-2005, 09:55 PM
Videos

Originally Posted by Dizz
If someone is kind enough to host the videos it would be greatly appreciated.

You can place videos here.

ftp://24.241.48.117/

It is a cable modem, be nice. No promises on reliability/uptime.

Old 02-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Old 02-21-2005, 12:33 AM
how did the spacers do in terms of low end power/torque?

Old 02-21-2005, 03:49 AM
Originally Posted by roro
how did the spacers do in terms of low end power/torque?
These are the numbers of the first stock baseline run vs. the best run with spacer.
I will follow up later on in the day with either scanned images or digi pics of the sheets.

1st. Stock baseline pull:

Peak Torque is at: 4800 rpm @ 199.67 lbs/182.47 hp
Peak HP is at: 5900 rpm @ 181.01 lbs/201.73 hp

vs.

Best pull w/ spacer

Peak Torque is at: 4800 rpm @ 207.20 lbs/189.38 hp
Peak HP is at: 5900 rpm @ 191.33 lbs/213.28 hp

Old 02-21-2005, 04:14 AM
it basically made power allll the way through. throughout the complete power band. no loss of torque at all.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:14 AM
why is your highest hp reading 213?

Old 02-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Because that was my best run of the day.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dyno Day: 2.19.2005