Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Out of State title change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of State title change

I have a friend who is finishing his masters program in a different state. His car is here in Southern CA. I want to be able to drive it around from time to time and take care of it while he is in school. What are some options that we can pursue to being able to do this. Whether it is transferring the title to my name, or adding it to who's insurance? He will not be back to visit CA till November 2016, and won't finish school till spring 2017. What can I do to be able to start driving it right now?

Old 04-26-2016, 06:02 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
G35 coupe 6mt
I would just drive it like that and don't worry about the all those stuff. This "friend" of yours sounds like a sugar daddy-in progress and you are definitely benefiting from that friendship.

I started driving on my own at the age of 12 without driver's license and any supervision and I never got pulled over.. but that was from another country LOL!

Just kidding man.. why can't you just have him come back and take care of all those?

Old 04-26-2016, 09:59 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
i dont think you will have to change the title, but you will def have to get an auto insurance policy. you could ask the auto insurance person about the topic and i think they will direct you in the right direction.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Appreciate the input. I will talk my insurance rep.

Old 04-27-2016, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by deeliciousqueen
I would just drive it like that and don't worry about the all those stuff. This "friend" of yours sounds like a sugar daddy-in progress and you are definitely benefiting from that friendship.

I started driving on my own at the age of 12 without driver's license and any supervision and I never got pulled over.. but that was from another country LOL!

Just kidding man.. why can't you just have him come back and take care of all those?
Haaa. He is my homie from way back, basically a brother. He is trying to do his thing out there in school and working. That is his priority as it should be.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:31 AM
my two cents.... having a CHP for a GF for about a year I know for a fact they are now writing down out of state plates and checking them online. They do a search of owner, and they have a way now to check through public information, where you pay your mortgage, title to your home is, where insurance is, etc... any docs pertaining to payments or ownership of vehicle and homes they can find. Armed with that info if they see the owner of the vehicle resides in another state, and the vehicle gets many hits in California... they will send a notice for title and registration be switched too California. I found this out, cause the x was writing down out of state plates when off duty, even when we went out on dates! Too many cars from Nevada and AZ and OR are here and that's what they are really after. so that's what I know..