Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

I want to have siruis radio..SF Valley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to have siruis radio..SF Valley

I am looking to get Sirius radio. After reading the threads in the audio forum, I am barely more educated than when I started. Here is what I do know:

1.) I have a 2003 coupe with premium package that has a VIN that is within the range of those that were prewired for satellite. I have a satellite button on the Bose factory radio.

2.) Apparently there is an OEM setup that is $260 at everythingg35.com. There was a sale last week that I missed.

3.) I do know that I need to contact sirius after the install, and start my subscription, and that it is $12 a month.

My questions are:

1.) Do I need this OEM setup, or can I buy something else at retail?

2.) Would I be able to simply go to a Best Buy, and purchase and antenae and receiver unit and have those installed? How much will this cost? I do know that most units run $80-200.

3.) Is there some place better/cheaper in SF Valley area where I can have this done?

BTW, I would like very much to get this done tommorow as I am off work and unfortunately have to attend a funeral on Friday.
Thanks for any replies!

Old 12-29-2005, 12:05 AM
Rollin On Dubz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get an estimate from a local sound system shop. Maybe even get the work done the same day.

I believe a lot of g35's came pre-wired for satellite radio and already have the antenna's built into their car. Maybe you could ask the dealer where you bought the car from, if you have a sat radio antennae on your car already?

Old 12-29-2005, 12:12 AM
my sister bought one from circuit city for her bf for 169.99 and it comes w/ the receiver, antenna, headunit, etc everything you need. it was a great deal. if the car comes prewired for it then its gonna be cheaper probably but you do have to have a professional install. i would rather use the sirius headunit and get it installed somewhere sleek, but im pretty sure you can use the oem headunit w/ it too

Old 12-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Rollin On Dubz
Yea...you can use the OEM head unit....or like pagagz says you can have the separate unit mounted somewhere.

Personally, I'd rather use the OEM head unit. But I *THINK* with the separate sirius unit you can take it out of one car and bring it to another.

Old 12-29-2005, 06:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no all you have to do is get the antenna, its already prewired just have to activate it and get the antenna. Th ebest thing to do is go to the dealership.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by RashMan1450
no all you have to do is get the antenna, its already prewired just have to activate it and get the antenna. Th ebest thing to do is go to the dealership.
Wrong. Prewired does NOT include the reciever or the antenna UNLESS it was purchased as an option with the car at buy time...you will need a drop in receiver for your trunk and antenna. You will also need to find an OEM harness to aftermarket connector (same as when you change out a head unit) but this will be so that you can take that flying lead in your trunk and convert it to be able to plug into whatever receiver you buy.

Prewired just means the wires are ran through the car from front to back...

Old 12-29-2005, 01:03 PM
i have the oem one. It works well. I would probably get that one instead of an aftermarket. The car is already ready for Sirius. All i needed to do is get the antenna.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
Wrong. Prewired does NOT include the reciever or the antenna UNLESS it was purchased as an option with the car at buy time...you will need a drop in receiver for your trunk and antenna. You will also need to find an OEM harness to aftermarket connector (same as when you change out a head unit) but this will be so that you can take that flying lead in your trunk and convert it to be able to plug into whatever receiver you buy.

Was that stuff included in the premium package? I thought it was.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Are you near Sherman Oaks? I've had stuff done at Al & Eds on Van Nuys near Magnolia (I think) and also Traffic Jamz on Ventura near Sepulveda.

Old 12-29-2005, 04:37 PM
Rollin On Dubz
al & ed's doesn't know what the F*CK they are doing. A while back one of my friends took his car there to wire up a sub, they did such a bad job that it's a miracle his car didn't short out and light up in flames.

I've never dealt with Traffic Jams, but I hear they do excellent work....but very pricey.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by sternroolz
Was that stuff included in the premium package? I thought it was.

No, it was called out as a separate line item on the sticker and it was a $400 option besides the premium package. I have an 05 by the way. I doubt my antenna alone was $400.

Old 12-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Gee Im Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by RashMan1450

Wow...Arash got owned...

Old 12-30-2005, 02:47 AM
G35 6MT
answers....

Originally Posted by sternroolz
My questions are:

1.) Do I need this OEM setup, or can I buy something else at retail?

2.) Would I be able to simply go to a Best Buy, and purchase and antenae and receiver unit and have those installed? How much will this cost? I do know that most units run $80-200.

3.) Is there some place better/cheaper in SF Valley area where I can have this done?

BTW, I would like very much to get this done tommorow as I am off work and unfortunately have to attend a funeral on Friday.
Thanks for any replies!
wow, after reading all of this, now i'm confused! to try and answer your questions:

1)you should just keep the OEM setup, as you will not need an FM modulator thereby reducing the sound quality

2)you won't want to go to BestBuy to get these installed. the OEM setup takes about 10-20 minutes to install (longer if you really want to hide the atnenna, like on the rear deck)

3)can't really help you on the cheaper places as i'm not from there. but believe me, it's really not that hard to install, especially since you are pre-wired.

oh, and if you go on a month to month basis, it is $12, but they have deals if you do longer subscriptions. [url=http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=Page&cid=1065475754240&]check this out.

hope that helps.