Help me revive my G! It's dead

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help me revive my G! It's dead

My car has been sittin in the garage for 2 months dead now. Unable to start her up. I'm assuming my battery is dead. I tried charging it with a battery tender overnight, and it showed a full charge the next day. So I tried starting her up, and I get those infamous starter clicking noises again. Not sure what the problem is. The battery tender is showing my battery as fully charged. Maybe by battery can't hold a proper voltage/charge strong enough to start the car, and I spent $200 on this damn yellow top optima. Oh well. I will never spend that much on a battery again.

Anyway, do you guys know where I can get a good/decent battery replacement for my coupe for a good price? I was thinking Sears with the Die Hard battery. I believe it goes for $79. But the Sears in SW area has no Auto Center, I don't want to drive far to get a battery. I was going to install it myself.

I'm really praying that its the battery and nothing else. Like the starter or alternator going bad. The only way to get her started is to jump start it. Even though sometime it struggles to start up doing that as well.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you can jump start it, then MOST likely it's just your battery.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
why didnt you get a red top?

Old 07-30-2008, 01:12 AM
A battery tender will not fully charge a deep cycle battery. They only put out a couple of amps and are designed to keep a battery topped off. What you need is a good smart charger that will rapidly charge the battery and then slow the rate as it reaches full charge. To completely reconstitute it, you might have to go through a few full charge/discharge cycles to erase any memory effect the battery tender may have caused.

Unless your yellow top is several years old, it can probably be saved. Don't give up on it yet! Deep cycle batteries are designed to survive discharges but need to recharged properly.

So, my advice:

1. Buy a smart charger with a deep cycle setting and give it a full charge.
2. Then, with your engine off, turn on your headlights and run your stereo at full blast until the battery dies.
3. Repeat until the battery holds a charge for more than a day or so.
4. Apologize to your neighbors.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:22 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The clicking sound often indicates a dead battery. Hopefully its not your starter.
Good luck, try to jump start the G.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by jimrockford
A battery tender will not fully charge a deep cycle battery. They only put out a couple of amps and are designed to keep a battery topped off. What you need is a good smart charger that will rapidly charge the battery and then slow the rate as it reaches full charge. To completely reconstitute it, you might have to go through a few full charge/discharge cycles to erase any memory effect the battery tender may have caused.

Unless your yellow top is several years old, it can probably be saved. Don't give up on it yet! Deep cycle batteries are designed to survive discharges but need to recharged properly.

So, my advice:

1. Buy a smart charger with a deep cycle setting and give it a full charge.
2. Then, with your engine off, turn on your headlights and run your stereo at full blast until the battery dies.
3. Repeat until the battery holds a charge for more than a day or so.
4. Apologize to your neighbors.
I wish I had known this before I ordered my battery tender. I could've sworn I read reviews where people used it to recharge their optima yellow top battery. And yes my battery is about 2 years old now. My car doesn't get used much, only a few times a year, but I attempt to start it bi-weekly. Buut now I guess the battery is too weak and won't even start up my car unless I give it a jump. I must've jump that battery about 20-30 times over the past couple of years. This time I want to get the problem fixed.

I think I'll save the extra time by just replacing the battery out entirely. Even though your method sounds probable. I don't want to take another chance and find out in the end that it won't work for me. So I think i might just go purchase a Die Hard battery at sears and replace it and hopefully that will fix my problems.

I appreciate the tips and advice you guys are giving me.

But I think my optima is about done with and dead. Instead of spendding my money on another charger. I will use that money on a new battery.

Do you guys know if I can get a Die Hard at any Sears? Or does it have to be a Sears with an Auto Center?

Old 07-30-2008, 05:08 PM
I have 2 almost new blue tops sitting in my garage. $140 each. They are the same as the yellow tops with 2 screw on terminals as well.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:21 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know if this is true, but I have heard that the Sears Die Hard battery is a waste of money. It is no better than any other battery of the same starting power. Sears uses the name Die Hard as a marketing tool to sell an average battery at a premium price.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:42 AM
NTB, Autozone, Pepboys, O'Reillys.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by cato
I don't know if this is true, but I have heard that the Sears Die Hard battery is a waste of money. It is no better than any other battery of the same starting power. Sears uses the name Die Hard as a marketing tool to sell an average battery at a premium price.
so what you're saying is "die hard" is sears' v-tech

Old 08-12-2008, 04:29 AM
before you go out and get a new battery you should look into the excessive battery drain problem some g35s, including my wife's, have. if you search battery on this forum you can find out more. if you want to find out if you have the excessive discharge issue you have to check your batteries current draw while the car is off with a multimeter and if the draw is significantly greater than 2-6milliamps, the normal discharge rate, then you have a problem.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:49 AM
how old is the yellow top? should have a warranty.