G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   TSB- Technical Bulletins (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins-12/)
-   -   Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins/197305-infiniti-rev-up-oil-consumption-tsb.html)

V35 Skyline GT 03-27-2008 11:23 AM

^Some revups have never had or have OC issues, though many seem to. Enough that Infiniti/Nissan created that TSB admitting there is an issue with these.

The current replacements are hand built in Japan and have internal modifications different than factory oem, rings are one of them.

Replacements have seen successes and unfortunately, failures as well. Why is that, has been the biggest question I've had for over two years.

twin001 03-27-2008 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by slikmo22
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but since this is such a common problem with the VQ motor's how will replacing the motor with another VQ solve the problem?

Since the TSB only applies to the 07's that were manufactured prior to 29 May 2007 I am guessing Infiniti worked out the bugs that plagued the previous REV-Ups. However, if you read through some of the OC threads you will see that unfortunately some of the revup owners that received the newer engines (10102-AC7M9) have complained about futher oil consumption with the new motors. This is probably a case by case basis as with the older 6MT engines. Read through the OC threads and monitor your oil levels.

paneotto 03-27-2008 04:48 PM

Replacement

As a follow-up, my service advisor called and told me that the engine came in today, a mere two days after ordering it. This is too good to be true.

shdowflare 03-27-2008 08:00 PM

Just made my appt. with the dealership today. Burning about 4.5 qts. every 3,000 in my non-revup. Going in on Monday to start the OC test! Wish me luck guys...if I can pull off a new engine at 53,000 miles I'll have to give Infiniti some props...

twin001 04-01-2008 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by shdowflare
Just made my appt. with the dealership today. Burning about 4.5 qts. every 3,000 in my non-revup. Going in on Monday to start the OC test! Wish me luck guys...if I can pull off a new engine at 53,000 miles I'll have to give Infiniti some props...

I hope this works for you even though you don't have a Revup engine. If anyone is having difficulty with their dealership then I suggest you call Infiniti Customer Care. They will get the ball rolling in the right direction and can provide oversight to the situation.

shdowflare 04-01-2008 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by twin001
I hope this works for you even though you don't have a Revup engine. If anyone is having difficulty with their dealership then I suggest you call Infiniti Customer Care. They will get the ball rolling in the right direction and can provide oversight to the situation.

Yeah me too....the service advisor asked me to get my oil change receipts ready in case the factory wants em...might have to start digging around (I typically change my own oil).

nath75 04-03-2008 02:39 PM

First off - SUPER, SUPER glad for this forum. My name's Nathan and I just registered; there's so much information here to sift through, but my search on this exact subject is what brought me here.

I'm starting the OC testing this weekend. I had pretty major OC issues with my '06 at around 25K (being the start of last winter in MD)...I couldn't believe the racket that came from under the hood for about the first 5-10 minutes after I started the car, but I thought it was just the cold (previous winter was MILD...as in, in the 70s until end of January by which time I was already back down in TX for a few months). Immediately changed the oil and remedied the situation, but now I start getting rough~ish idle and somewhat quiet clakity-clakity noise at about 1K-1.5K after oil change (and usually down between 1/2 and 2/3 quart). Previously I had only checked the oil ever 1K or so (about every 2 weeks for me) and would have to add a bit but now I'm super, super paranoid about burning through 8 or 9 quarts per oil change, that there's something seriously amiss. I'm so, so glad I found this page and this thread because I was starting to wonder if it was just me. My brother had an '03 non-revup which he never had OC issues with; I didn't notice any until well after full break-in. Boy am I glad all you are out there with the same issue. I mean, I'm not glad you're having motor issues; I'm glad that I'm not the only one and there's strong case history enough that a TSB has been issued and I won't forever lament owning my G.

The Infiniti dealership in Annapolis seems to have their act together with this OC issue. The lady at service I talked with today was matter-of-fact about the OC test process and what's expected from me, as if they've done it a time or two already. Seems pretty painless to get the oil change and initiate the record-keeping, and then go back after only 1K (I'm going to stretch that to about 1.5K :2: ) for the verdict. Based on what I see on a regular basis, I should have a new motor just in time to go to Germany this fall.

Anyone else have any experience with ANY MD-area Infiniti service dealing with this who can bestow pointers? Please PM me, if so.

I digress - Is Infiniti in Germany now? I sure hope so.

Drv4fun 04-08-2008 07:09 AM

Well, it sounds like I'm headed back to the dealership for the OC issue. I had my test done last November and the documented OC was 1qt/2300 miles (well into the not ok section).

In addition to this, I'm now having synchros issue. I get some grinding sound shifting into 5th gear every morning. It seems to go away after about 20 minutes into the drive but never had that before.

Man... do I have a case under the Lemon Law? I wouldn't mind trading mine for the new G37... :-)

Initial-G 04-09-2008 12:11 AM

I'm waiting to bring my car in. Been burning oil like a mofo since day one. If you troll on my350z.com looks like the v2's have a high failure rate as well.

shdowflare 04-09-2008 09:30 AM

Wish me luck guys...heading back to the dealership on in a few days to complete the first 1,000 miles of the test. This is the first time I haven't checked my oil for that long...I know I'm probably about two quarts low right now...:icon43:

twin001 04-09-2008 09:32 AM

why can't they just swap for the HR engine? That would be a great solution! :driving:

VQdriver 04-09-2008 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by shdowflare
Wish me luck guys...heading back to the dealership on in a few days to complete the first 1,000 miles of the test. This is the first time I haven't checked my oil for that long...I know I'm probably about two quarts low right now...:icon43:

how come you haven't checked? did the dealer seal off the dipstick?

shdowflare 04-09-2008 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by VQdriver
how come you haven't checked? did the dealer seal off the dipstick?

Yup. And I'm gonna let them know they're putting my car at risk and I want it on record.

twin001 04-09-2008 11:38 AM

I've been having some issues with my dealer and I think they are wanting to start the test over and seal the dipstick. We are going to have some issues if this is the case. I'm calling Infiniti Customer Care before I head to the dealership. I do not want to spend another 2 months on this OC issue....especially since summer is coming up!

twin001 04-09-2008 03:27 PM

Just left the dealership. New engine is coming in. I bought the car with 14k on it and luckily the person who owned it before me serviced it at an Infiniti dealership and all records were kept. Records show that his 7500k oil change was 3 1/2 quarts low. This helped my case tremendously! Hopefully this new engine will not suffer from OC...I hear some of the new ones are no better. I'm so ready to get this over with!