G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   TSB- Technical Bulletins (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins-12/)
-   -   Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB (https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-technical-bulletins/197305-infiniti-rev-up-oil-consumption-tsb.html)

Princess_Jen 09-25-2009 12:43 PM

So you got plenty of warranty to go. You dont really have much to worry about. Just make sure your father keeps up w the 3k/3month oil changes. I would recommend going to Infiniti or Nissan so they have the records on hand. Makes the process easier.

Bottom line is if you do get OC down the line, they don't have a choice. Just watch your mods so you don't void the warranty and the maint records.

Jenna

350GT_Enthusias 09-25-2009 12:48 PM

yeah, my dad ust changed the oil. So I told him to drive the car more than he has been, and to check it in 1000 miles to see where it sits. If it's good then I'll just keep an eye on it. If not then they'll record it. The guy at Infiniti faxed my mom the same pages of the TSB they use for testing and told her to have my dad follow those steps and we could check it ourselves.

DuaneB 09-28-2009 09:00 AM

Got my new V2 installed last week, they also installed two new catalytic converters. So far it's working nicely, I have about 800 km's on it since Thursday and it is smoother, idles down to lower rpms and is a bit easier to pull away from a stop than it was before. I'll keep my eye on the oil consumption and see how it goes.

ceasar 09-28-2009 11:06 AM

I'm having new engine put in this week. Can anybody tell my what their experience has bee with the new engines. Thanx.

Princess_Jen 09-28-2009 02:19 PM

Mine has been great. No problems at all since OC swap in Decemeber '08. I honestly cant complain.

g35shadowchaser 10-14-2009 01:18 PM

Quick question for all those who have had the swap. Mine is in at the shop as we speak and the engine should be out by tomorrow. They were saying that its not a bad idea to put in a new clutch while they have everything apart since it will be just parts that I'm paying for. I have 32k on the vehicle. Has anyone else done this? Is it a good idea? What is the typical life span of the clutch? I do drive the car hard(like its meant to be driven). They said they would let me know what percentage is left on it and give me their best judgement. Wanted input from those who have gone through this. I unfortuneately live 6 hours away from the dealership and cant just drive there to look at it myself. Any help is great!
Mark

bhancz 10-14-2009 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by g35shadowchaser (Post 4627048)
Quick question for all those who have had the swap. Mine is in at the shop as we speak and the engine should be out by tomorrow. They were saying that its not a bad idea to put in a new clutch while they have everything apart since it will be just parts that I'm paying for. I have 32k on the vehicle. Has anyone else done this? Is it a good idea? What is the typical life span of the clutch? I do drive the car hard(like its meant to be driven). They said they would let me know what percentage is left on it and give me their best judgement. Wanted input from those who have gone through this. I unfortuneately live 6 hours away from the dealership and cant just drive there to look at it myself. Any help is great!
Mark

I had 29k miles when I got my V2 I had them check the clutch and it was about 50% worn, so I decided to just get it done, they won't charge you for any labor (which is a lot and $$$), just the parts. The choice was obvious for me.

penelson 10-14-2009 02:06 PM

It might be worth it if your within 10-15 k of needed it. I think the labor for that at the dealer is about $ 700. You should consider an aftermarket clutch/flywheel upgrade at this time if appropriate. A lot of dealers will work with aftermarket performance parts, but you may have to go without a warranty on the non OEM parts. good luck.

Originally Posted by g35shadowchaser (Post 4627048)
Mark

buckwilly 10-15-2009 10:43 AM

Go ahead and get the clutch done if its around 25% left. When I bought my G35 used with 34K on it, it already had a new clutch and V2 motor. The said the clutch was about done. I'd go aftermarket (Nismo or Stillen) and that may retain your warranty on the car. Personally I think the new OEM clutch is garbage. I have had the new clutch slip twice, either the tires are just that grippy or the OEM clutch is just that weak. I never had a clutch with less than 10K on it slip. I have the car totally shut down and go into limp mode in the middle of nowhere...thankfully I knew how to reset the ECU and after 3rd try, the car drove fine and all dash warning lights were gone. The next day the dealer could not

Overall, I loved my first 2003 6mt G35 sedan I owned. 45K miles of bliss, reliability, and the clutch and motor felt as fast and smoother than this 2007 G35 coupe with rev-up motor. I have had this G35 at the dealership about once a month since I have owned it for many different issues. They have fixed everything under warranty but I don't think I would risk owning this car after the CPO warranty expires. My dealership service experience has been terrible at Infiniti of Lake Norman. Infiniti has lost ANOTHER long term customer. This would be my 5th Infiniti and sadly my last.

RaginRaj11 10-16-2009 12:05 AM

^ I would have to agree with you on the last statement. This is my first Infiniti and my last.

Hammerhead i-Eagle Thrust 10-16-2009 08:31 AM

this is my second nissan product...the first needed a new motor at 42k(03 sentra se-r)

on the other hand this car is probably consuming less oil then my celica gt-s or rsx-s so w/e..lol

g35shadowchaser 10-17-2009 03:47 PM

Here's a question. I was wanting to install a Vortec supercharger on my 06 G35. Now that I have had this engine swap performed, is it still the same Vortec that I purchase meaning is this still the same engine set up. I know they offer different superchargers based on if you are a rev-up motor or not. I would assume that since mine was a rev-up that I still would purchase the same one. Thanks for the input.
Mark

V35 Skyline GT 10-18-2009 12:42 AM

^ If you originally had a revup, they'll replace with a revup. Check your paperwork from dealer. Should list part number as what's listed on TSB.

SaintRedRocket 10-18-2009 03:17 PM

Finally had my non-revup engine replaced about a month ago. Just drove my first 1,000 miles and the oil is down below the L. The dealer told me that I will burn some oil during the first 1k miles, but that is just ridiculous. It is barely better than before I had the engine replaced.

What are my chances of Infiniti/Nissan buying back my car? 5.5 years old. 54,300 miles. Already on my 2nd transmission, 2nd engine, 6th Bose radio, 5th set of tires due to tire feathering, 4th set of window motors, 3rd throttle body, 3rd MAF sensor. 3rd clutch (first 2 were not installed properly from Factory & Dealer).

RaginRaj11 10-18-2009 03:21 PM

^Wow that is ridiculous. There should be a rule that if you replace something a certain amount of times, they have to buy your car back.