TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by shdowflare
If you've been checking your oil to this point, you'd already know approximately how much you'll burn in 500 miles. You just need the dealer to know what you already know.

I used to burn two quarts every 500 miles. So I went back in right after 1000 (twice) so they could see the thing was just about completely empty, and they ordered my new VQ35.
What dealership did you go to?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by rooring husky
Hey guys,

I also started my OC test recently at Riverside Infiniti...Only about 500 miles in..

It doesn't look like they put any zip tie or anything on the dip stick. If anyone has done the OC test at Riverside Infiniti please let me know if they put anything on the dipstick to prove it has been tampered with? I am interested in looking at the amount of oil that has been consumed within the first 500 miles.

Also wanted to confirm that the best idea is bring the car back after 1000mi and before 1499mi? (So to pretty much bring the car back in the 1400mi range).

Thanks in advance...
My dealer didn't zip tie stick, while reading some do. I wouldn't trip about that.

Sounds like you've seen or have a copy of TSB with it's OC chart. Make it work for you, not Infiniti. That's still playing fair.

Old 01-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
i went to Riverside Infiniti.. no zip tie.. i think they use a diff. method for some reason..

Old 01-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaginRaj11
Same thing happened to me except they blamed by catback exhaust for the OC. Lawsuit is now in progress. Hopefully you wont have to go that route. Goodluck!

It's looking that way VERY quickly. This is now the 3rd time that they released my car after acknowledging that it is substantially dangerous to drive. In the 40 miles that I've driven since getting the car back, the engine has already consumed 1.5" of coolant (yes, warm and cold tested). I have roughly 14 phone calls into ICA only to have my call returned twice without my phone ringing (almost like voice message delivery type call).

I can smell the oil burning every time I drive it.

I will NEVER buy another Infiniti or Nissan again.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:07 AM
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintRedRocket
It's looking that way VERY quickly. This is now the 3rd time that they released my car after acknowledging that it is substantially dangerous to drive. In the 40 miles that I've driven since getting the car back, the engine has already consumed 1.5" of coolant (yes, warm and cold tested). I have roughly 14 phone calls into ICA only to have my call returned twice without my phone ringing (almost like voice message delivery type call).

I can smell the oil burning every time I drive it.

I will NEVER buy another Infiniti or Nissan again.
I had the exact same experience you are having. Poor customer service and not getting any answers to my questions. I have vowed to never buy another Nissan/Infiniti also.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:01 AM
^^^ i had the same issues, and then some, with my car.. i used to go to my local dealer.. Tustin Infiniti... i vowed to never buy another Infiniti ever again after their SH!TTY service.. especially after owning a Lexus IS300.. Way better car IMO and the service at Tustin Lexus was phenomenal... too bad it was just toooooo slow..

now i goto Riverside Infiniti and although they are almost 10x farther than my local dealer.. they are legit and treat you like you should be treated... They got me thinkin about buying another Infiniti in the future now.. no sheeeyat..

Old 02-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
damn i guess no g35 for me after reading some of this

Old 02-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
just get a warranty..any car worth owning has some sort of reliability failing

Old 02-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
^^yea but oil comsuumption is a big one. i can still get warranty if i buy from a private party?

Old 02-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ehh u could but i wouldn't

as far as oil consumption, most high reving hondas burn oil..granted it usually isnt because their piston rings are fried..lol.

but really the g is one of the more reliable luxury/performance cars you can get...its just that needing a new motor is a pretty big problem i guess. idk though, my car was burning oil when i got it and it ran pretty well, you just need to keep an eye on the oil level

just buy a used one from a dealer..or you could get an IS300...2jz's are bullet proof..just gets worse mpg and is much slower then a G

Old 02-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Wow, I thought Mazda sucked... which is why I sold my Speed6 (blowing motors and faulty turbos w/ dealerships who blame everything instead of owning up.) I was thinking about moving over to a g35 but I guess I should keep looking as well.

How widespread is this problem...anyone know?

Last edited by MµšH; 02-04-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 12:37 PM
your mazda does suck.!. and oil consumption is only a problem if you don't check your oil.. and if you happen to get a new motor like i did a few weeks ago when the car had 67k miles, you have now basically extended length you will drive your car.. i was thinkin of selling it in august when it is paid off.. but now that i have a new motor, i am going to drive a practically brand new car, that is paid off.. depending how good you took care of it.. i got a new tranny under warranty 20k mi ago, a new clutch and flywheel when i got the motor, and the motor... after i get my suspension set up... this car will not only be practically new, it will be better than new...!!!!

Old 02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
MusH... I'm not sure exactly how widespread the problem is, but as with any forum like this you will only hear from the people having problems, not the owners that have problem free vehicles. It's certainly not an isolated problem, but it doesn't affect every car either. In my opinion from reading a lot of posts on this topic, and from my own experience, I think that Infiniti is generally taking care of us, just be prepared to play fairly and firmly with the dealership if you have to go through the process of OC testing.

I had a new engine installed under warranty for oil consumption in September and I am very optimistic that my replacement engine will continue to delight me like it has since it was installed. Even though I had to go through the process of getting a new engine, I am still very happy with this car... they have a lot of great qualities, and some problems, the same as any other.

The tough part is buying a used G... you really can't tell if it is an oil burner until you put some miles on it... for that reason it would be extremely advantageous to buy one with enough warranty left to get a new engine if you do end up burning oil.

At least you are now aware of the issue before considering a purchase... I don't regret buying mine (used) at all.

Here's a tip... read carefully the posts by V35 Skyline GT in this thread... based on my experience I think he's onto something.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:58 PM
saywat?: The Infiniti warranty is fully transferrable (automatically) to whoever owns the car, I bought my 2005 coupe used last May and Infiniti replaced my engine with no arguments in September.

Aftermarket or third party warranties are likely a whole different story... I would be very hesitant in counting on one of those warranties to buy a "new" engine based on oil consumption... they wouldn't have to abide by the Infiniti guidelines for oil consumption (I wouldn't think).

Old 02-04-2010, 01:01 PM
Received 535 Likes on 296 Posts
does anyone know if you still need to be under warranty to have the engine changed out due to OC? if so which one? the 4 year one?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.75 average.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Rev-Up Oil Consumption TSB