TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

*OIL CONSUMPTION TSB has been updated by Nissan*

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see the issue. Your problem is oil consumption and this is due to the ring in the short block.

This is like saying you want a new diff because you're oil consumption.

Old 09-10-2010, 02:22 PM
I haz hugz to givez

Received 286 Likes on 263 Posts
^^ If that's directed towards me, my issue is as a consumer if you begin a contract with a company, then THEY change the rules, you are legally grandfathered into the terms of the agreement at the time of start, not finish. I just want Nissan to live up to the expectations that every other client facing organization has to.

So if I signed you up for a cell phone at $50/mo. for a year, then I decided it's more profitable to charge you $100/mo three months later. you would just say...hmmm guess it fixes the problem for the company?

Old 09-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Hate to say this jook, but you got played by your Dealer only giving you a short-block for your revup VQ. The TSB you mention is not an update to the existing one, but a separate TSB for the G37's with the VQ37VHR which calls for a short-block.

TSB# ITB10-048 dated July 30, 2010.

http://www.infinitig37.com/TSB/1SY30.pdf

Not purposely calling you out, just like to stay accurate with facts for everyone.

Sorry for the bad news...

Old 09-13-2010, 07:48 PM
I haz hugz to givez

No worries at all, I want everyone to operate with the correct info as well!
Here's the deal. That news did NOT come from my local dealership (well initially of course it did) However I challenged that "option" with Customer Affairs, Executive Customer Affairs, and finaly spoke with an assistant to the VP of Service from Nissan USA. They ALL backed up that the short block would be the only replacement and that the TSB had infact been updated on Aug 1, 2010.

If you want to check those facts, give them a call 1-800-Nissan1

Also here's a simple test, has anyone had an OC test since Aug 1? Did you fail? What did Nissan say they would replace for you?

Old 09-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by jookyshank
Pretty sure this just pertains to '05-'06 6MT's. Can anyone confirm this difinitively?

Also I got my car back yesterday, new shortblock, so I'll keep you all posted on how she does! I'm going back in another 1K to see if the oil issue has been solved. Also props to Infiniti of Tacoma @ Fife, they replaced my belts and my throwout bearing while it was in pieces and the car feels so much smoother on the clutch

hey bro, did the service manager you were dealing with ask you about tearing down the engine apart and look for manufacturing defects before they can order new engine? I'm having this issue with the dealership i'm dealing with. They said I'll have to pay for the entire cost of labor for tearing down and engine and putting it back together if they can't find any manufacturing defects.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 PM
I haz hugz to givez

^^ He's full of it they have to tear it down to DO the short block replacement. If he's trying to give you some sob story about the labor costs call Customer Affairs @ 800 Nissan 1 and tell them what's going on...they suck monkey ***** for customer service but they WILL make him live up to the obligation of the TSB.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm assuming this would only be effective if you are within warranty, correct?

Old 09-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Man I feel lucky. I bought my car used this past winter and in July brought it to Infiniti to do the OC test. My dealership had no issues replacing the longblock even with my car being over 67,000 miles. As long as you go up there with knowledge of the TSB then there is no reason the dealer should screw you.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 PM
Sorry I'm beyond new to this, but I just bought my 06 6MT slate about 3.5 months ago n I've changed the oil myself 2x on the car and noticed that I'm consuming lots of oil. (5qts start to 3.5-3qts when changing) I've read the article on how our cars have this problem and was just wondering if the TSB on the forum is current so i can print it out and take it with me to the dealership to have them check out the problem. I have 47k miles but I believe my warranty has already expired.

Also the only upgrade towards my motor is a Z-tube/pop charger combo. Will the dealer bs me about having an aftermarket intake? Greatly appreciate the answers.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Think it's safe to assume this revised TSB ends in 'd' from dated one back in May 2008 ending in 'c'.

Here's what Nissan did with the 350z' on 7-30-10: NTB07-088d.pdf but it's only first page.

NHTSA also finally indicates Infiniti's TSB being revised on 7-30-10 (NHTSA Item Number: 10024078).

Old 09-27-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm in the process of my 1000 mi test. I am looking online for the offical TSB on this subject just so I can have all the info on what Infiniti will do, or what b/s they might try. Can anyone help me out, if you have the online address or even if someone could email me the print out.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:36 AM
Engine replacement!?

Hey I was wondering if anyone had any issues getting their engine replaced, and if they were asked to show oil change receipts from the purchase date of the car. What if you have purchased the car used and don't have all of the previous oil change receipts wont honor the does that mean they the warranty??

Old 10-12-2010, 01:38 AM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
what? where did you hear this? I don't think that's true at all. sorry.
two club mates got Oil consumption tests done and the new short blocks are from Japan which have stronger internals. Thats what I was told.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
two club mates got Oil consumption tests done and the new short blocks are from Japan which have stronger internals. Thats what I was told.
lol, most of the nissan/Infiniti parts come from Japan. "Stronger internals?" No. Remember, many members that have their engien replaced bc of oc, have experience the same oc, some even worse, some on their third engine.

They do not have "stronger internals". That is false and very misleading. But you are welcome to think what you want. The only part that is questionable is the rings. But Nissan is still using the same ring manufacturer/vender on the vhr engine and having similar problems.

The only viable thing I have heard is that they may be "hand assembled", but I'm not even sure if this is 100% true. But stonger internals? No.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:53 AM
I haz hugz to givez

Originally Posted by Xx2006GCOUPExX
Hey I was wondering if anyone had any issues getting their engine replaced, and if they were asked to show oil change receipts from the purchase date of the car. What if you have purchased the car used and don't have all of the previous oil change receipts wont honor the does that mean they the warranty??
When I went in they were flexible with the oil change history. I did however have the previous year worth of records and they didn't blink and used that without problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: *OIL CONSUMPTION TSB has been updated by Nissan*