TSB- Technical Bulletins Technical Service Bulletins- Coupe and Sedan from Infiniti. Updates Approved by Administrators and Moderators.

Cooling fans kicking on frequently

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Cooling fans kicking on frequently

So I'm the new guy on this forum because I am seeking help. And because it is an awesome site which helped me get my car to where it is now. So.... I have a 2005 g35 sedan. It has 96000 miles on it, It started overheating on me. So I did a bunch of research (mostly on this site) and figured out it was the thermostat. Changed that out, it was still overheating. Learnt about air pockets in the cooling system...put my car up on ramps, used the release valve near the firewall, and my heater started blowing hot air again. Temp was right where it should be...super stoked. I Thank all of you on this site for the advice that got me to this point. My dilemma now is that the cooling fan( really LOUD ) comes on all the time. It never did that before I changed out the thermostat. Can anyone give me some advice? Please and thank you fellow g35 owners.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:09 AM
Not one post. Help me out brothers!

Old 09-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
im having similar issues. i did a coolant flush and got air in the system so i had to bleed it. at first everything was fine but now the fans kick on way too often( a/c off, normal driving). lets see if anyone can chime in.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:17 AM
Thank you Sandaluv! Finally someone who can relate.I'm wondering if it is some kind of sensor. Same here...normal driving, As soon as it starts to heat up, the fans kick on and they don't shut off. The temp gauge stays right where it should be, happy about that. Where are all the Infinity tech guys? I guess the info I pulled from this forum was from over 3 years ago, so those guys may have moved on. Any advice will help...thanks

Old 10-07-2012, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by renzog35
Thank you Sandaluv! Finally someone who can relate.I'm wondering if it is some kind of sensor. Same here...normal driving, As soon as it starts to heat up, the fans kick on and they don't shut off. The temp gauge stays right where it should be, happy about that. Where are all the Infinity tech guys? I guess the info I pulled from this forum was from over 3 years ago, so those guys may have moved on. Any advice will help...thanks
Np Renzo. i think youre right about the sensors as our fans are electric. question is, is it normal? i might just bite the bullet and take it into the dealer, get a diagnosis, and do the repair myself. this is what ive been doin since i bought the car and so far, with help from this forum, ive done all the work on my car with no issues. i will post the dealers diagnosis on here for you so check for my reply.

The following users liked this post:
renzog35 (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
The fans shouldn't be too loud unless the bearings are going out or some other mechanism for moving them is beginning to go. Give that a look if the sound isn't just the rushing of air through the blades. Then again I have a 2nd gen sedan and mine may be quieter?

Old 10-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by sandaluv
Np Renzo. i think youre right about the sensors as our fans are electric. question is, is it normal? i might just bite the bullet and take it into the dealer, get a diagnosis, and do the repair myself. this is what ive been doin since i bought the car and so far, with help from this forum, ive done all the work on my car with no issues. i will post the dealers diagnosis on here for you so check for my reply.
Awesome man thanks! I will keep doing research on my end. I know a few people who may be able to help me out. I will post any results as well.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by EbbAndBlow
The fans shouldn't be too loud unless the bearings are going out or some other mechanism for moving them is beginning to go. Give that a look if the sound isn't just the rushing of air through the blades. Then again I have a 2nd gen sedan and mine may be quieter?
The sound it produces is normal. I don't think the fans are bad, they just keep kicking on frequently and won't shut off. I believe you have the 4th gen, while mine is the 3rd. I could be wrong though. Not sure they would make drastic changes on the cooling system.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:49 PM
i agree . i dont think its bearing related. the fans are loud yes but what our issue is their frequent and unnecessary operation. in my limited mechanical knowledge im leaning towards a heat sensor of some sort. our engines run pretty hot so maybe its something we must learn to live with. this is rather unusual in a luxury car imo. thnx ebbnblow for response.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:54 PM
Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts
I'd like to BUMP this because I'm having similar issues. After having the radiator and thermostat replaced, my radiator fans are constantly running super loud... It's not a huge problem but definitely annoying so if there's a possible fix, I'd like to hear it...

Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by renzog35
So I'm the new guy on this forum because I am seeking help. And because it is an awesome site which helped me get my car to where it is now. So.... I have a 2005 g35 sedan. It has 96000 miles on it, It started overheating on me. So I did a bunch of research (mostly on this site) and figured out it was the thermostat. Changed that out, it was still overheating. Learnt about air pockets in the cooling system...put my car up on ramps, used the release valve near the firewall, and my heater started blowing hot air again. Temp was right where it should be...super stoked. I Thank all of you on this site for the advice that got me to this point. My dilemma now is that the cooling fan( really LOUD ) comes on all the time. It never did that before I changed out the thermostat. Can anyone give me some advice? Please and thank you fellow g35 owners.
Was an OEM thermostat used?

The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (03-09-2020)