A few questions about fuel system and N/A tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
From my understanding, the coils are only producing spark based on the voltage they are given to begin with, and have the ability to put out more, reliably. All the HKS unit is doing is putting more through them, that they can handle. I've never heard of anyone burning out coils from one of these...I never did when I had mine.

anyone else? Actaully, the only time I have heard about it was before they came out with the vehicle specific harness.

Rick
I've heard from one vendor that he has known 1 or 2 people who had problems with the HKS unit damaging coils, although he was unsure whether this was a result of user install error or damage caused from the HKS amplifier itself.

This was awhile back though (HKS could have resolved the issue if there was any), and word of mouth, so dunno

Old 03-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jonnylaw
I've heard from one vendor that he has known 1 or 2 people who had problems with the HKS unit damaging coils, although he was unsure whether this was a result of user install error or damage caused from the HKS amplifier itself.

This was awhile back though (HKS could have resolved the issue if there was any), and word of mouth, so dunno
YEa...depends on how long ago, it the unit was a DLI-II or not, if the vehicle specific harness was installed, and possibly, what EMU they may have been using as well. Greddy eManage Ultimate's have been known to fry coils if not installed and wired properly too.

Rick

Old 03-30-2008, 03:55 AM
Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only multi spark box, I would install, would be the MSD 6a unit.

Us, drag racers love emm

Old 03-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE PASTA

Us, drag racers love emm
more info please!

Old 03-31-2008, 12:28 PM

Us, drag racers love emm
The MSD units are great and have pretty much an identical setup as the HKS - the best thing about the HKS is the vehicle specific harness. It takes out all the possibility of user install issues, no hacking wiring harness, etc.

I spent a good month trying to figure out which to get when I had mine, as I had always used MSD in the past on my mustangs. The harness sold it for me.

Rick

Old 03-31-2008, 08:05 PM
_jb
Photographer

I ran an MSD ignition when I raced a SBC in a Camaro... Seems like the Import people steer clear of the traditional drag racing parts.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The coil is supplied +12 [11-14] volts from alternator/battery................the only way you can increase output voltage is to raise the battery /alternator voltage!

If the so called amplifier has a REAL WAY to accomplish this I would like to see some proof. Some of the boxes change the spark duration TIME but not the voltage!

The proof would be an accurate dyno with multiple same day runs on, off, on, off At least 3 runs in each condition to minimize +- 3HP dyno error repeatability accuracy.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Q45tech
The coil is supplied +12 [11-14] volts from alternator/battery................the only way you can increase output voltage is to raise the battery /alternator voltage!

If the so called amplifier has a REAL WAY to accomplish this I would like to see some proof. Some of the boxes change the spark duration TIME but not the voltage!

The proof would be an accurate dyno with multiple same day runs on, off, on, off At least 3 runs in each condition to minimize +- 3HP dyno error repeatability accuracy.
From manufacturer marketing:
“provide optimum spark duration and maximum voltage output”

So is this to imply that OEM doesn’t maximize the available voltage?... So this is able to more efficiently use what is available?...

Are you saying it’s just a longer spark, but not necessarily and bigger spark?

If so, would this not accomplish the claims: “resulting in crisper throttle response and a smoother engine powerband”

WOW - this turned into a MAJOR thread jack... I'm sorry OP

Old 04-04-2008, 06:27 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
The MSD units are great and have pretty much an identical setup as the HKS - the best thing about the HKS is the vehicle specific harness. It takes out all the possibility of user install issues, no hacking wiring harness, etc.

I spent a good month trying to figure out which to get when I had mine, as I had always used MSD in the past on my mustangs. The harness sold it for me.

Rick
Rick

You have no idea what you are talking about,Plus the fact, you tell big stories about how smart you are.
I wish people like you would just go away. One reason, I do not post at driver with dorks like you.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by OCG35
more info please!

You only need enough voltage to fire the plugs under a full load in high gear.
NA, the factory voltage is more than what you need.
The vq likes the plugs degreed in with the open point of the plug between the exhaust &intake ports.
you will find more gains with indexing your plugs NA than installing a multi spark unit.

The MSD unit is wonderful in high compression engines with wild cam shaft timing.

I would try a new set of plugs one step hotter, and close the gap .002 tighter.
try to get just the electrode in the combustion chamber without any part of the threads of the plug exposed.
polish any high spots off the tips so they do not start glowing in the chamber.
Simple is good and it works.

PS do not listen to that moron ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rick

Old 04-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Rick

You have no idea what you are talking about,Plus the fact, you tell big stories about how smart you are.
I wish people like you would just go away. One reason, I do not post at driver with dorks like you.
Hey TOOL...Get back in your f'ing box why don't you....damn, they let you out again!!! Go eat another banana monkey wrench!

If you noticed, Mr. Super **** - you haven't given anything constructive here...so its you who needs to leave...

damn super d i c k !

Old 04-04-2008, 11:16 PM
You only need enough voltage to fire the plugs under a full load in high gear.
NA, the factory voltage is more than what you need.
The vq likes the plugs degreed in with the open point of the plug between the exhaust &intake ports.
you will find more gains with indexing your plugs NA than installing a multi spark unit.

The MSD unit is wonderful in high compression engines with wild cam shaft timing.

I would try a new set of plugs one step hotter, and close the gap .002 tighter.
try to get just the electrode in the combustion chamber without any part of the threads of the plug exposed.
polish any high spots off the tips so they do not start glowing in the chamber.
Simple is good and it works.

PS do not listen to that moron ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rick
Oh there ya go...almost something worth while...at least ignition systems are really only good in high compression engines with wild camshaft timing...

I guess those low compression FI guys really screw up then when they upgrade their ignition systems???? According to you at least....

Go kiss your blow hole goodbye already!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:49 PM
BTW - a larger, hotter and more consistent stronger spark, is what burns more fuel, more efficiently - which in turn, produces more horsepower, produces better starts, promotes smoother idle, provides for smoother acceleration and throttle response...oh yea, and better emissions.

You can accomplish this by....NOT CLOSING THE GAP ON THE SPARK PLUG, but opening it - and increasing the ignition systems to accommodate the gap to provide an even larger spark - providing, yet again, even more benefit.

Ideally - you want the coldest plug possible without fouling. Smaller gaps, produce smaller, faster sparks. The sparks burn out faster. This is useful for trying to solve detonation and pre-ignition and other ignition issues - that are also inherent in FI/nitrous, high compression, etc. cars. Hotter plugs are poster children for detonation...so I would never make that suggestion....but I guess that's ok for PASTA BOY!

Whether or not it's HKS or MSD - the point of this thread is: Ignition Systems

1 - they are useful

2 - which units are 'better' - they are about the same, BUT, the HKS is a safer bet and far more widely used on Z's and G's because of it's size and vehicle specific harness. The MSD - is much cheaper however, and larger, and there's little room in the engine compartment as it is. The MSD is far more widely used, in the import crowd, on Honda's, etc., and far more in the American muscle arena.

3 - If colder plugs and hotter sparks are better..then why put in hotter plugs and smaller gaps, on a stock ignition system....

4 - The stock ignition system - is VERY good to begin with. Better spark, never hurts performance and general operability...never.

Ultimately - you have to figure out if the price is worth the gain, if the purchase is bling related, if the purchase is for protection based on the build....

Lastly...don't eat PASTA while installing your ignition systems!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:56 PM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
^^^You tell 'em!!! LOL

Old 04-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Simple to create [buy adapter] a high voltage cable extension between coil and plug and sample the high voltage and view it on an oscilloscope. To scientifically observe any changes improvements after market ignitions might provide.

http://www.picotech.com/auto/seconda...on_pickup.html

http://www.picotech.com/auto/wavefor..._ignition.html
http://www.picotech.com/auto/wavefor..._burn_time.gif
http://www.picotech.com/auto/wavefor...n_plug_kv.html
http://www.picotech.com/auto/wavefor...ple_spark.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A few questions about fuel system and N/A tuning