A few questions about fuel system and N/A tuning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ISMSOLUTIONS
BTW - a larger, hotter and more consistent stronger spark, is what burns more fuel, more efficiently - which in turn, produces more horsepower, produces better starts, promotes smoother idle, provides for smoother acceleration and throttle response...oh yea, and better emissions.

You can accomplish this by....NOT CLOSING THE GAP ON THE SPARK PLUG, but opening it - and increasing the ignition systems to accommodate the gap to provide an even larger spark - providing, yet again, even more benefit.

Ideally - you want the coldest plug possible without fouling. Smaller gaps, produce smaller, faster sparks. The sparks burn out faster. This is useful for trying to solve detonation and pre-ignition and other ignition issues - that are also inherent in FI/nitrous, high compression, etc. cars. Hotter plugs are poster children for detonation...so I would never make that suggestion....but I guess that's ok for PASTA BOY!

Whether or not it's HKS or MSD - the point of this thread is: Ignition Systems

1 - they are useful

2 - which units are 'better' - they are about the same, BUT, the HKS is a safer bet and far more widely used on Z's and G's because of it's size and vehicle specific harness. The MSD - is much cheaper however, and larger, and there's little room in the engine compartment as it is. The MSD is far more widely used, in the import crowd, on Honda's, etc., and far more in the American muscle arena.

3 - If colder plugs and hotter sparks are better..then why put in hotter plugs and smaller gaps, on a stock ignition system....

4 - The stock ignition system - is VERY good to begin with. Better spark, never hurts performance and general operability...never.

Ultimately - you have to figure out if the price is worth the gain, if the purchase is bling related, if the purchase is for protection based on the build....

Lastly...don't eat PASTA while installing your ignition systems!
I think its time for a Rick" the bad info poster thread to take place.
this guy reads lables and posts em here.
Im sure many are waiting for this liar to get called out.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow GEE -

Nothing is this whole thread from you but NOODLES!!!

Imagine actually giving someone something constructive and helpful. How about you go start a thread about people who do nothing here but waste cyberspace by bashing people about how they 'lie' etc., and then can't even back up that! Yea...you'd be the PASTA star of that thread!

Go do something usefull....sit in a pot and stew....

I like Italian food.....btw

Old 04-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Why Use Utec? Uprev can adjust for cam angles, and seems to be a better tuning device overall...

Old 04-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE PASTA
You only need enough voltage to fire the plugs under a full load in high gear.
NA, the factory voltage is more than what you need.
The vq likes the plugs degreed in with the open point of the plug between the exhaust &intake ports.
you will find more gains with indexing your plugs NA than installing a multi spark unit.

The MSD unit is wonderful in high compression engines with wild cam shaft timing.

I would try a new set of plugs one step hotter, and close the gap .002 tighter.
try to get just the electrode in the combustion chamber without any part of the threads of the plug exposed.
polish any high spots off the tips so they do not start glowing in the chamber.
Simple is good and it works.

PS do not listen to that moron ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Rick
Thanks for the info Pasta! I haven’t been following some of my subscribed threads for a while and lost track of this one... I know you are big on indexing and I would attempt - but it's hit & miss unless you are willing to over tighten in order to get the gap facing the right direction, correct?... I presume you have several on hand and keep trying till the threads are right?....

BTW – good to see you posting! I wish some of the other vets would come back and share their valuable knowledge!

Old 04-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Rick, I'm not taking sides here... some of your posts have had merit (IMO)... but Pasta has a bunch of experience that I wouldn't dismiss... apparently you two have some old grudge - I hope it doesn't perpetuate because I know several people that don't post out here anymore because of conflicts with others... I'd like to see they come back.

When I first got on this forum there were many extremely knowledgeable people sharing very good information... unfortunately it has gone a different direction and is kind of a soap opera most of the time... I really wish the tech forums could get back to the old days

Old 04-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by OCG35
Rick, I'm not taking sides here... some of your posts have had merit (IMO)... but Pasta has a bunch of experience that I wouldn't dismiss... apparently you two have some old grudge - I hope it doesn't perpetuate because I know several people that don't post out here anymore because of conflicts with others... I'd like to see they come back.

When I first got on this forum there were many extremely knowledgeable people sharing very good information... unfortunately it has gone a different direction and is kind of a soap opera most of the time... I really wish the tech forums could get back to the old days
I don't disagree at all...unfortunately, some of us, who have the experience as well, get challenged wrongly by others, who think they have seniority over the ability to have such knowledge, and even the right to post.

It was a much different world a few years ago my friend...that it was. It's the main reason I'm no longer on these boards very much either.

Rick