How Orisis tunes to your car.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
How Orisis tunes to your car.

Did a few search and went to their site but still not 100% clear. If you guys can kindly help.

1. Is the Orisis Standard tune based on the data collected from the Cipher during a dyno run? Or do you just pick from a database what best matches your configuration and put that on the ECU.

2. The standard mentions that you can switch to any of the three Maps stored in the ECU, but how exactly do you do this? Do you have to have your computer connected, or is it like the cobb accessport where you have this little gadget?

3. Is the Orisis Reflash basically the same as the Standard minus the fact that you can't switch between maps?

Old 03-22-2009, 05:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gabe3d
Did a few search and went to their site but still not 100% clear. If you guys can kindly help.

1. Is the Orisis Standard tune based on the data collected from the Cipher during a dyno run? Or do you just pick from a database what best matches your configuration and put that on the ECU.

2. The standard mentions that you can switch to any of the three Maps stored in the ECU, but how exactly do you do this? Do you have to have your computer connected, or is it like the cobb accessport where you have this little gadget?

3. Is the Orisis Reflash basically the same as the Standard minus the fact that you can't switch between maps?
Answer #1 The tune is based on data logged from cipher. If you go to a Uprev tunner they will use cipher and can use a dyno to tune it as well.

Answer #2 You can change to up to 5 different maps. You can do this while driving down the road with your cruise control buttons. All maps are flashed to your ECU, nothing else is needed.

Answer #3 Osiris flash still gives you up to 5 maps. Same as Standard.

Hope this helps

Old 03-22-2009, 09:51 AM
Banned
CAn Orisis change timing to what ever you want ?
Can it change the tune to run 850 injectors ?
Can it tune for boost ? how much

Old 03-22-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the answers Rival.

Answer1:
If I go to a garage that does Uprev tuning, am I going to get my own Cipher after it's done?

Answer2:
Even if i get it from the tuner will I be capable of switching maps? Is there a sound indicator to show you which map you are switching to?

Answer3:
Is this a moot point if i get it from a tuner?

Thanks!

Old 03-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes you will get a cipher cable after you are done if you get the standard ($700 one) but not if you get the basic ($400 one)

Yes you will still be able to switch maps, there is no sounds but the "set" light for your cruise control flashes once for map one, twice for map two, etc. You can switch even while your driving. To switch maps you hold down the set/coast toggle on the right side of your steering wheel, then while holding it down you tap the cancel button once for map one, twice for map two etc.

the difference between the standard and the tuner is the cipher and e-tunes, you get 5 maps with both but with the basic you don't get a cipher cable/software or the e-tunes. The maps are 91 tune, Valet mode, 93 tune, stock map, and a fuel economy map. Those are "off the shelf" generic maps made "for your mods". You can put them in any order. I don't know if the standard pack included Dyno time unless you pay the tuner extra for it, AFAIK you just get the reflash and the cable. then after you drive it for a while you can use the cipher to record the data then send it in and they will email you back an updated tune for your car, you can do this 3 times for free with the standard, after that its $50 each time.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by gabe3d

You have two options:

1) You take it to a certified UpRev tuner and have them dyno tune it. They will allow you to have up to 5 maps which you can switch on the fly via the cruise control buttons. Also, Cipher is usually not included with this unless you buy this from UpRev (you don't need the cipher for the dyno tune, but its a great tool anyhow).

Or

2) Use their Osiris Standard service. They will send you a flash file which you can upload via the laptop using the Cipher. This package includes the Osiris license and the Cipher. If you want a more acurate tune, you can data log via the Cipher, send them the results, and they would "fine tune" the flash for you. Otherwise, they would just have standard off-the-shelf maps based on your modifications.

If possible, do a dyno tune. Nothing beats a dyno tune.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:21 PM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by Rival
Answer #1 The tune is based on data logged from cipher. If you go to a Uprev tunner they will use cipher and can use a dyno to tune it as well.
I don't think they use the Cipher for a dyno tune. The tuners themselves have an Osiris Tuner version and use the information from the dyno and tuner software for a precise tune (iirc).

Old 03-22-2009, 11:27 PM
The cipher is only used to collect data for your "e-tunes", while this is good and helps a little, there is no substitute for actual dyno tuning.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by Skaterbasist
I don't think they use the Cipher for a dyno tune. The tuners themselves have an Osiris Tuner version and use the information from the dyno and tuner software for a precise tune (iirc).
Just did this on Saturday with an OSIRIS tuner. He used Cipher to data log as well as the dyno info to tune, at least I saw him using the Cipher application. He basically did real time adjustments on the dyno.

Last edited by Rival; 03-22-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 PM
Retired SuperMod
Originally Posted by Rival
Just did this on Saturday with an OSIRIS tuner. He used Cipher to data log as well as the dyno info to tune, at least I saw him using the Cipher application. He basically did real time adjustments on the dyno.
Interesting. One of the more reputable Osiris Tuners here in SoCal didn't seem to use it as I saw the whole process myself.

It seems useless to use the Cipher when you're doing a dyno tune. But I guess it can't hurt.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:52 PM
^ that's true, every tuner has their own methods, if everyone did everything exactly the same life wouldn't be very interesting.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the help.

I'm taking my car in to an UpRev certified tuner, he mentioned that he is going to use Orisis to tune my car, but I couldn't understand how he would use the products that were shown on UpRev's website. It seems that those products are geared for home tuning rather then the tuning packages a garage would offer. Now that I have a basic understanding of how Orisis works, I can ask them exactly what they will do. Thanks again.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by booger
CAn Orisis change timing to what ever you want ?
Can it change the tune to run 850 injectors ?
Can it tune for boost ? how much
Booger,

Yes
Yes
No, we use MAF which doesn't care about boost, it looks at air volume, which is far more accurate than guesstimating air volume based on boost levels. It can tune for infinite "boost" as long as the MAF can still meter the air. Stock MAF's give up around 375-425hp depending on the car, the HPX MAF is rated for air flow that can support up to 1000hp. We have yet to have any customer max the HPX MAF to date.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Pro Tuners use Cipher. Cipher is the cable and supporting software. The Pro Tuner will have real time tuning software which makes their job a little bit easier. But it is the same cable as consumers get.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:04 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by UpRev
Booger,

Yes
Yes
No, we use MAF which doesn't care about boost, it looks at air volume, which is far more accurate than guesstimating air volume based on boost levels. It can tune for infinite "boost" as long as the MAF can still meter the air. Stock MAF's give up around 375-425hp depending on the car, the HPX MAF is rated for air flow that can support up to 1000hp. We have yet to have any customer max the HPX MAF to date.
THANKS UpRev !!!!

So with a HPX MAF [where can one get one ? ] you should be able to tune a boost car with out an aftermarket EMS ?

If so...why are people still buying them ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How Orisis tunes to your car.