Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by jumbosrule
J

Infiniti FX35 (VQ35DE)
Stillen CAI, Motordyne 5/16" plenum spacer & Stillen dual cat-back

Baseline run with bolt on mods (OEM tune)
After dyno tune
stillen makes a CAI? or just the silly heat sheild for a K / N filter?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by LMG_35C
I have Osiris Standard with Cipher and cable.

Should I expect a Dyno Tuner to provide me the tuned ROM file, locked I imagine, and just charge me for dyno time?
You still have to pay the $300 tuning license fee with standard. You would need the Tuner kit to avoid the license fee (the one that lets you edit roms and tune yourself). Chances are the tuner will lock the rom though so it's pointless to buy the tuner kit ($700) and take it to a pro tuner which would normally only be $300.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks. Guess I'll talk to UpRev and a Tuner (TBD) to find out for sure because shelling out another $500 would be unrealistic. Even though the standard tune was a definate improvement and worth the first 5 bills what the dyno tune would add, besides peace of mind, remains uncertain.

I was only thinking of this option because I've been having problems collecting the logs needed for an eTune update. Cipher keeps crashing and it must be something on my Laptop but haven't had the time to figure out what. I asked about this on other posts and it seems no one else is having same problem. ???

Old 08-18-2010, 07:33 PM
I've had cypher crash on me a few times...but not lately. I think once or twice out of a couple dozen sessions. Usually only happens when the cable comes loose or gets bumped during logging.

Seems the software gets along best with XP.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey may be a newb question but for the osiris standard tune all i really have to do is load the disk on my laptop and connect it to the car and load the software correct? the dyno tune isnt neccesary but obv prefferd by most? thanx for the imput

Old 10-03-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by nj13kings
hey may be a newb question but for the osiris standard tune all i really have to do is load the disk on my laptop and connect it to the car and load the software correct? the dyno tune isnt neccesary but obv prefferd by most? thanx for the imput
You can't tune (or get any gains) with Osiris Standard -- it is for basic stuff like bumping up the idle and datalogging. You need the tuner version (and a tune) if you want to get it tuned and actually see any gains. It would actually be way cheaper to get the license through an Orisis Pro tuner if you end up getting a tune. They will just roll it into the tune price.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:50 AM
thank you for the input so basicly the standard doesnt do anything as far as any gains at all? if thats the case then your right as far as just getting the pro tuner and just paying for someone to tune the car

Old 10-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Correct. Osiris is a tuning tool, not a 'power reflash' like you might get from other technologies or other types of cars. Standard is just the basics like data logging and idle sdjustment, read/clear codes, ect. Osiris Tuner (or license from a pro tuner) will be a full custom tune with gains.

Custom tune is more expensive (obviously) but the gains are much better since the tune is tailored exactly to your car and mods.

You also have the option of doing E-tuning direct from uprev (I think this works with 'standard') but you won't get as much gain as you would from a pro-tuner and the process can take forever.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:33 PM
So let's say I want to get a tune from a "pro-tuner"...

When should I get that done?

I have a Injen CAI, MD 5/16 spacer, and CXRacing HKS replica exhaust (couldn't turn it down for $225)...

Should I get a tune now? Or wait till I do other mods first? Is there such a thing as getting a "re-tune"?

I just don't want to pay $600-700 for a tune then put test pipes on and have to pay big money to tune it again.

Lastly, if I get a professional tune done, what kind of gains could I see?

Thanks!

Old 10-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Well $300 of that $700 tune is the uprev license so you won't have to pay that again. 2nd of all, most tuners offer touch up tunes for cheaper. So if your first Uprev tune was $700 I'd expect to pay no more than $150-200 or so for a touch up from the same tuner. Basically 1-hr dyno/tuning time.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by djamps
Well $300 of that $700 tune is the uprev license so you won't have to pay that again. 2nd of all, most tuners offer touch up tunes for cheaper. So if your first Uprev tune was $700 I'd expect to pay no more than $150-200 or so for a touch up from the same tuner. Basically 1-hr dyno/tuning time.
$150-$200 isn't to bad for a touchup. Is there a general range of how much gain's you will see from a tune? Thanks

Old 10-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Depending on dyno, tuner, mods, weather, whatever... expect anywhere from 5hp to 30hp but like I said it depends on alot of things. Best to talk to your tuner about what to expect before you hand over your hard earned cash.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:00 PM
NYT
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by djamps
Correct. Osiris is a tuning tool, not a 'power reflash' like you might get from other technologies or other types of cars. Standard is just the basics like data logging and idle sdjustment, read/clear codes, ect. Osiris Tuner (or license from a pro tuner) will be a full custom tune with gains.

Custom tune is more expensive (obviously) but the gains are much better since the tune is tailored exactly to your car and mods.

You also have the option of doing E-tuning direct from uprev (I think this works with 'standard') but you won't get as much gain as you would from a pro-tuner and the process can take forever.
What benefits can a dyno tune provide vs an eTune? I believe the dyno just records HP/TQ levels, isn't most of the pretinent information required to custom tune in the datalog?

Old 06-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
The custom dyno tune can be tuned specifically for your car and your bolt-ons. not every car will react the same way to a catback or MP. A E-tune (canned tune) might be tuned for a particular catback, mp, header, intake, ect... and will not give you the best performance because you have different perfomance tunes. If you have stock parts but want to get a tune I would go with a E-tune, but if you had a lot of boltons I would def suggest paying more for a dyno (custom) tune.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by NYT
What benefits can a dyno tune provide vs an eTune? I believe the dyno just records HP/TQ levels, isn't most of the pretinent information required to custom tune in the datalog?
You are correct, a dyno only records HP/TQ, a tuner will monitor AF ratios and make adjustments on the fly based on the changes in HP/TQ. That data is recorded via data logging on 04.5 and newer cars but you'll have to wait for the changes, also most e tunes come with 1 or 2 updates, my tuner made at least 10 changes and dyno pulls.