Bullydog tripledog programmer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Like others have been trying to point out, you have to compare apples to apples. The above dyno test was done with the same affecting factors for pre and post runs, thus comparing apples to apples.

Nobody is discounting your claim that cooler denser air equals more power. That is a fact. But to (not saying that you did this, but this is how your
're portraying your hypothesis) make a few test runs at noon when it's 80 degrees out, then install a tune and take the car out at 12am when it's 24 degrees and "claiming" the gains are from the tune...
That is no different then running your car at a track(where all racing/runs should take place) in Denver during the middle of the summer (for sake of comparison 14.9 sec) then doing a second run in the middle of the winter in Seattle when it's cold and at sea level (14.3 sec). But between the runs you decided to run 91 octane the second time and claim the gains are from the higher octane fuel.

As far as actual gains from tuning..99% of the time you will get better results from a tune such as the osiris as opposed to a static one size fits a broad range tune. An osiris tune allows adjustments tailored to that specific vehicle on a dyno. The tuner can get more aggressive with the timing and fueling to make the best use out of the performance mods on that particular vehicle.
Bullydog, Hypertech and the like are geared more towards a safe conservative tune (mostly for optimizing fuel economy). They cannot and will not send out an aggressive generic tune at the risk of grenading someones engine due to leaning out.
If you have ever built a car that required custom tuning then you would understand this completely. Precise tuning makes all the difference. A good example being Vortec supercharger kits that come with an FMU (boost dependent fuel pressure regulator that raises fuel pressure in relation to boost pressure to provide additional fuel for the added air from the SC). Out of the box they make decent (conservative) power, fairly reliable and low maintenance. Now replace that with a programmable ecu and a good custom tune, it can easily net 10-15% increase in power over the FMU.
On a previous vehicle I replaced the FMU (I built a custom turbo kit and used a FMU initially) with a piggyback computer for tuning. I picked up about 8% more power from doing a little fine tuning (same boost level) on a dyno. I decided to get rid of the piggyback set-up in favor of full control. I paid someone to do the tuning for me this time and they were able to pick up another 12% or so.

Our cars are tuned really well from the factory to squeeze out the most power, Nissan has done their homework when it comes to tuning of this engine (just look at all the different hp/tq variations that Nissan has for this engine).
I am not calling you a liar, but your testing is flawed majorly.
I have a Hypertech programmer(Ive had them in the past on a few trucks) because I got a smoking deal, I was looking for a little more fuel economy, and I was curious to see how it would work. I think they claim upwards of 10-12hp, but if I recall correctly I found a dyno plot on here where someone gained like 7 peak hp and 4-5hp average. Do some digging (stay off bullydogs site because they will over inflate their numbers), some real research and you will see that with your given set-up you picked up less than 10hp, if any at all.

Sorry for going all over the place, but I'm at work and typing this as time allows..

Old 02-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
^ That was well said! Can't get any better then that!

Old 02-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I will offer FREE before and after runs for anyone with a BD system. As a tuner, I want to know. It would be easy for me to compare the BD system with Osiris reflashes, Osiris customs, Cobb a/p, unichips, Hypertech's and we've even done one of these...

Old 02-14-2011, 10:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with what you are saying and respect your experience in this field. But we were debating the difference the temperature makes on the dyno when testing a tune. The gains are not going to be the same at 24 degrees in retrospect to 70 degrees. And If it's only 10hp it more than I had before. There was a post from a member that has the Osiris and he gained 11.8hp and 18ftpn. That is not much more than a programmer at almost double the price. And your right about the Hypertech, they dynoed a G35 on their site and it only gained like 7hp and 7ftpn. $500 bucks is way to much for that. Like I said on the other post. When I have the time I will try and have my car dynoed so we all can see what kind of numbers the programmer puts out. The Osiris and Access Port are for more serious drivers that continuesly need tuning for upgrades. My car is a daily drive with only and intake so I have know need for them, I chose what was right for me and my style of driving...

Old 02-14-2011, 11:01 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
^^ I don't think you really understand what's being debated right now...

Old 02-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a headache reading this thread.

I would suggest taking some English classes instead of bothering with a Dyno comparison. You're only going to be severely disappointed with the results and we probably wouldn't understand you, anyways.

Last edited by stlbluesfan; 02-14-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:26 PM
Oh whatever!!!!!! I know what I was debating on, You don't know anything about the programmer other than what you have heard. So your opinion means nothing to me. If you can't understand what Im saying then you need to take english classes. Where are your dyno results from your tune? Oh let me guess you don't have one do you? Then shut up and find you some business because your just running your head about something you have know clue about!!!!! stop being a follower and try leading sometimes. All I was doing is dabating and sharing my opinion on a product that I purchased. That's what these forums are about. Knowone on this forum is an expert in any of this, we are all giving our opinions and remarks on the performance of our cars. Everything is trial and error because the cars are pretty good from the factory. So if you got a headache then take an asprin or something or just don't post on this subject.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
+1 for English classes.

Lesson 1: no vs. know.

No: Referring to the degree to which a certain quality is present; "he was no heavier than a child".

Know: Be cognizant or aware of a fact or a specific piece of information; possess knowledge or information about; "I know that the President lied to the people"; "I want to know who is winning the game!"; "I know it's time".

Homework assignment:
Reread your last post and edit it with what you learned in this lesson.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Louisiana G35
Oh whatever!!!!!! I know what I was debating on, You don't know anything about the programmer other than what you have heard. So your opinion means nothing to me. If you can't understand what Im saying then you need to take english classes. Where are your dyno results from your tune? Oh let me guess you don't have one do you? Then shut up and find you some business because your just running your head about something you have know clue about!!!!! stop being a follower and try leading sometimes. All I was doing is dabating and sharing my opinion on a product that I purchased. That's what these forums are about. Knowone on this forum is an expert in any of this, we are all giving our opinions and remarks on the performance of our cars. Everything is trial and error because the cars are pretty good from the factory. So if you got a headache then take an asprin or something or just don't post on this subject.
I don't see any reason why I would have to post any dyno results. I haven't made any claims that I can't back up.

Old 02-14-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by TannerG
+1 for English classes.

Lesson 1: no vs. know.

No: Referring to the degree to which a certain quality is present; "he was no heavier than a child".

Know: Be cognizant or aware of a fact or a specific piece of information; possess knowledge or information about; "I know that the President lied to the people"; "I want to know who is winning the game!"; "I know it's time".

Homework assignment:
Reread your last post and edit it with what you learned in this lesson.
Thank you!

Old 02-14-2011, 03:02 PM
This whole thread is just B.S.! It's pretty obvious that your the only one w/ this BD system. Other who had it got rid of it. That should tell you something. Even if you gain 10 hp your not going to feel it. If you want to feel it, gut out your car. Loss the fat! maybe you can gain more if you lose the attitude. You yourself don't know what you are talking about now. You realize when you share something, you better be open to positive or negative feed back. Because we are all going to be trolling. so far on this thread it's been nothing but negative and that should be a light bulb in your head. Just admit it that you bought this only for better gas mileage!

Attached Thumbnails Bullydog tripledog programmer-trolls_trolls_demotivational_poster_1262015873.jpg  
Old 02-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Yeah okay hold your breath and wait on it... And you don't know what claims I can't prove if you can't prove they are not true. Prove me wrong!!!! You can't because you don't own one. You can only go by what you have read. And it took you long enough to skim through the dictionary to respond to my post lol. Your running your mouth and giving input on something you know nothing about. Like I said, stop being a follower and start leading for once. I took a risk on something different and Im enjoying it. You on the other hand just follow the norm and what everyone else does. Doesn't say much for leadership expierience does it?

Old 02-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I'd rather go with proven products from people that specialize in Nissans (ie.. UpRev).

Why not get your care dyno tested and post the results?

Old 02-14-2011, 03:15 PM
You aint no leader. And don't talk to me about being no leader because you don't know what i do. Your only a follower. You don't want to get a dyno because when you see the numbers, your going to Sh*t yourself and wish you hadn't wasted your money. But you haven't because you bought it for better gas mileage. It will only take you about maybe 3 years to break even because you only get like +2-4 extra miles to a gallon.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I'd rather go with proven products from people that specialize in Nissans (ie.. UpRev).

Why not get your care dyno tested and post the results?
he's afraid of the truth!!! He can't handle the truth

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bullydog tripledog programmer