UTEC by Turbo XS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2005 | 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by SI_G35Coupe
disclaimer: this is only what i remember reading on the forums don't hold it as concrete... MRC and TXS, please correct me if i'm wrong

not exactly... if you drive an 03-04 car the factory o2 sensors are narrowband... in which case a good wideband sensor (like the TunerPro) would still be needed to properly tune the car. the narrowbands are only used when the car is running in open loop mode... once you go WOT and enter closed loop mode, the ECU stops listening to feedback from the o2's and runs whatever map it uses for WOT.

i believe on the 2005's they switched the stock sensors to widebands.
SI_G35Coupe, you could be right about pre-04.5 models. 04.5 coupe Service Manual states:

UTEC by Turbo XS-af-p1.jpg

UTEC by Turbo XS-af-p2.jpg

UTEC by Turbo XS-af-p3.jpg

UTEC by Turbo XS-af-p4.jpg

Old 12-13-2005 | 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by TurboXSJermaine
The UTEC has it's own Ignition Drivers and Injector Drivers. The UTEC is always in control of the vehicle at all times. Especially when you enter OPEN LOOP FUELING. Some portions of the map where you can specify ECU control, the UTEC will fire the coil or injector as the ECU would.

The UTEC datalogger contains the data relevant to the drive cycle of the vehicle, which would make this rather redundant purchase for those items. But, having a scan tool should always be part anyones tool box. I have not used this item but I am interested in some of it's functions.

Thanks,

Jermaine@turboxs.com

So is it safe to say that the only things that might read incorrectly is any injector/ignition timing information? (this would be good information for future reference)

Old 12-13-2005 | 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by MechEE
Thanks for chiming in! Do you think that you will ever unlock the ability to download / reflash the ECU program through the diagnostic interface with CIPHER?
Any reflashing ability will be a seperate product. Too much R&D goes into such a thing. However... Cipher will be regularly upgraded for free and we have more features planned.

Old 12-15-2005 | 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the great information guys.

My plan was to get the Cipher now (in the group buy) and add the UTEC when I get FI installed.

It has to make sense though. If purchasing the Cipher still requires that I get the Tuner Pro add-on or Modius add-on to the UTEC, then I don't know that it would be worthwhile.

It is still unclear to me if A/F ratio would be accurate using Cipher if the UTEC were installed. Does anyone have conclusive thoughts on this question?

If Cipher A/F was going to be accurate, I would consider it worthwhile just to get it for that... (that software interface is almost too snazzy to resist anyway! - unlike the UTEC, I might add )

Old 12-16-2005 | 04:58 AM
If the UTEC has both injector drivers and ignition drivers I don't see any reason for it to have to fudge the AF ratios going back to the ECU. Being able to control timing and injection fully, I'd say the only reason the device would need to fudge inputs would be to avoid having the ECU throw CELs during abnormal conditions (like FI/turbo/supercharger) and I haven't heard of this being an announced feature... If anyone in the Texas area has a UTEC on their Z I'd love to meet them and do some tests to verify.

Originally Posted by rcdash
Thanks for all the great information guys.

My plan was to get the Cipher now (in the group buy) and add the UTEC when I get FI installed.

It has to make sense though. If purchasing the Cipher still requires that I get the Tuner Pro add-on or Modius add-on to the UTEC, then I don't know that it would be worthwhile.

It is still unclear to me if A/F ratio would be accurate using Cipher if the UTEC were installed. Does anyone have conclusive thoughts on this question?

If Cipher A/F was going to be accurate, I would consider it worthwhile just to get it for that... (that software interface is almost too snazzy to resist anyway! - unlike the UTEC, I might add )

Old 12-16-2005 | 10:07 AM
|
Originally Posted by oman
If the UTEC has both injector drivers and ignition drivers I don't see any reason for it to have to fudge the AF ratios going back to the ECU. Being able to control timing and injection fully, I'd say the only reason the device would need to fudge inputs would be to avoid having the ECU throw CELs during abnormal conditions (like FI/turbo/supercharger)
This is most likely the case, however Jermaine would be the guy to get a really technical answer from..