Automatically process the Navi OK screen

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EZDozzit
I'd be more concerned with taking dashboard apart without scratching anything.
Taking apart the dash is so easy, it's almost laughable. I was super careful the first time Iinstalled this kit, but unnecessarily so. Now, I can have the whole center stack and armrest area apart in about 10 minutes.

Seriously, the most difficult part of the install is the soldering of the two wires to the back of the ENTER button on the dais. If you've EVER soldered anything before in your life, you will EXCEL at completing this task as I did.

The most time consuming - though rewarding - part of the isntall is setting hte time delay on the OK Bypass module just right. You want to plan for Bluetooth connection so as to not hit OK during that message popup.

Old 01-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pedropedro
I would love to get this, however I am all thumbs when it comes to doing an install like this. Believe me, I have tried similar things over the years and it has always ended up half assed.

If there is anyone in the metro DC area that can install this for me, please let me know.

Thanks
Hi Pedro:

I just had this installed at Hot Tint in Gaithersburg MD www.hottint.com, and speak to Kyle - he did the install. He had some challenges, but it was his first install of this unit or any other nav bypass units from KPTechnologies (he's installed nav bypass modules from other companies, and for other cars). Now that he's done mine, he says it would be very easy to do again. For me, because it was his first time, and he had some issues (specifically he couldn't get the relay to click initially when pressing the OK/ENTER button), it cost me $200 for the install.

There was also a delay because KPTechnologies while very helpful once we got hold of them, do not have a phone number where you can reach them. So when the installer ran into issues, he had to email them, and it took them several hours to respond, by which time he had left for the day - ie. I had to leave my car with the installer for an additional day, which I had not planned on).

Anyway, it works great now with one exception - which may be something he did wrong - it doesn't beep when you press the OK/ENTER button for 2 seconds, so the only way you can tell if you're in the nav bypass mode, is to listen carefully for the 'click' of the relay (ie. lower the volume on your radio), or try out whatever you were going to do and see if you can do it while driving. I've emailed KPTechnologies support to ask them if this lack of a beeping is normal, or if the installer did something wrong. Either way though, I don't think I'll have that fixed right now because they would likely have to take the whole thing apart again to sort it out.

Regards,
T1328

Old 01-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Super - thanks for the info. I'd much rather let someone install this that has a clue. As I said, I am all thumbs when it comes to things like this. I appreciate the help - Peter

Old 01-11-2009, 09:29 PM
I have installed the navigation override module and it is well worth ANY hassle or cost involved in installing it or getting it installed. It wasn't easy for me, but the instructions were good and by taking it step by step, I could handle it (and I'm sure anyone with past experience soldering could too.) So I guess I could say it wasn't that hard either.

As to a beep. I don't think it does. The relay click is quite loud and I always know it's been switched back and forth by holding the button for a second and listening for the relay click when I let go.

Gary

Old 01-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks for your responses. I agree with you Gary - this unit is well worth it. I took a longish drive yesterday on some twisties here, and tested a few things out. It really makes life a lot easier, and ironically, if you use your phone with bluetooth, it actually makes finding a number that you don't call frequently much safer. It also means that now if I'm driving somewhere and feel like eating, I can easily find the nearest McDonalds or whatever without stopping at the side of the road at night on some side road or a major highway. The control of the Music Box is also so much nicer and safer.

Cheers
T1328

Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
The NI35 doesn't come with an audible alert. One can be added either at time of purchase or after the fact and they are available on our side (A-beep is the part number I do believe). There is a place on the circuit board where you have to solder it in.

We haven't had much interest in the audible beep so there isn't much info out there for it, but it is an option.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 AM
Hi Kevin:

I've been using it since Saturday now, and have also come to the conclusion that the audible beep is not really necessary. Thanks for putting this unit together. It really has made a huge difference for me, and has frankly made me a safer driver, not the other way around.

One example - I downloaded my entire cell phone phonebook to the car. However, up to now, I couldn't use the downloaded phonebook while driving. I did save some of the downloaded entries as voice entries, but the more I added, the less the computer recognized my voice. I prefer not to make calls while driving, but sometimes I have to. Up to now I've had to look at my phone, type the first three letters of the persons name, scroll down to them in the phonebook on my phone, and then hit call on the phone. Now I can select downloaded phonebook, and quickly find the number on the screen - which is far less distracting than having to use the cell phone. Again, I try to minimize this type of usage, but when I have to, it's nice to know I can do this more safely.

Cheers
Tamir

Old 01-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Tamir,

I wish I could download my entire cellphone book from my phone to my G35. I have VerizonWireless and you can only transfer phone numbers 1 at a time. They claim it is a security thing.

Anyway, I agree that this Nav bypass module is a lifesafer. Why Infiniti doesn't just have a screen where the user accepts all liability (Honda does it that way) and then allow use while moving, I'll never understand. In my case, it was especially frustrating when I was driving, my wife in the car, and she couldn't even use it as a passenger. With the bypass module, she can and it makes a world of difference in the enjoyment of the car. It's not just what is under the hood that makes a G35 such a nice car.

Gary