New G35x owner - iPod question & others

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New G35x owner - iPod question & others

I've had my 08 G35x w/ premium/navi for about a month now, and a couple things are confusing me to the point that now I'm starting to get a little mad:

When I start the car, the navi screen comes up, my phone connects, and my iPod starts playing where it left off. Other times, the iPod doesn't come on and I have to hit the Disc/Aux button before it will start to play and then click back to the map. Shouldn't it come on all the time? I never do anything different, just don't know why sometimes it's automatic and sometimes it's not.

Also, for the auto climate control, should the AC be on all the time? It doesn't seem to turn it on automatically, but if it's on when the temp is cooler (50s), it keeps blowing cold air even when the temp is set on 75. Probably just operating it wrong from being used to my last system, but I'm constantly toggling the AC on and off between day and night to get the temp right (and yes, the auto mode is on).

thanks. don't be too harsh.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:39 AM
in regards to the auto climate. it makes since that the auto climate would be on, but it should be blowing warm air not cold? especially if we're talking about a 25 degree temp difference... i'd get it looked at if that's really the case.

i've had the same issues with the ipod though. sometimes the music plays when i start the car, but most of the time i have to push the disc/aux button.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:55 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Your iPod setup in the '08 is different than mine, so can't help with that one.

But on the AC, do you have it set on Auto (i.e. push the left-hand button, and "auto" lights up)? Am just wondering if with all the button pushing, you've moved it from auto, and it's just blowing AC air.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:13 AM
The issue with the iPod is that it doesn't turn off when you shut off your car, so when its battery runs down, it shut off will only come on after it starts up again. This can be done by you pressing the disc button or by waiting a minute or so. You'll notice it noi longer remembers where it was on your playlist anymore. Times when it starts up immediately, the iPod battery didn't run down all the way. I think this is an iPod thing, not an Infinity thing. Some iPods models behave slightly differently than others.

My AC light is on all the time when I have it set on Auto. I don't know why but I suspect that is because some of the air is being routed to the defrost vents. On mine, the AC light doesn't mean the car is cooling though. It definitely keeps the car warm when I ask it to, even with the AC light on.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
EG3
Did you know that when you push auto climate to on and switch the mode to another postion that it keeps it in auto even if you turn off the a/c and the auto light goes off!!! give it a try if you didnt know .. its pretty cool.... i dont always like having the air coming out the top vents so i mainly switch to floor with it in auto...

Old 04-17-2008, 12:42 PM
the ipod's battery doesn't drain... it has a certain amount of time that it will be in standby (nothing on the display) before it turns completely off, beyond "standby". you'll notice the difference if you leave your ipod off, sitting on your desk, for a few hours/a day. when you hit a button and you see the apple logo come on, rather than going straight to the menu screen, that means your ipod had turned completely off. it's not a battery issue. it's just a powersaving feature.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. Still not really understanding the iPod thing, though. Got in my car at the airport today after being out of town for 3 days, the music came on right away. Went to the video store, came back out 15 minutes later & started up, and no music. Just doesn't make sense. I guess I'll just learn to live with it.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:58 AM
The A/C thing is because "Auto" is supposed to provide air conditioning or dehumidified warm air. If you turn off the A/C, you'll lose the dehumidified bit.

As for the iPod thing, I hadn't really noticed that on mine, but i take mine inside to update podcasts a lot.

Old 10-08-2008, 04:14 PM
I just bought an '08 G35S and having the same iPod issues. The iPod won't play immediately when I turn on my G, but if I hit the "DISC" button, it'll immediately continue playing.

Anyone figure out a way to resolve this issue? Maybe by changing the stand-by time on the iPod.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:36 PM
htj
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ipod battery dying

Originally Posted by DRIP
The issue with the iPod is that it doesn't turn off when you shut off your car...
I'm running into this same problem with '08 G and 5th Gen ipod. The ipod battery is dying b/c it never fully shuts down. I really want to be able to leave it hooked to the ipod cable 80% of the time, but i need it to still have juice when i want to use it away from the car.

Anybody solve this? Any settings to make the ipod go all the way down? Do the other ipods act differently? (i'll try to hook up a 2G nano soon as well)

Old 12-18-2008, 07:22 AM
I don't think anyone actually solved this. It's an Apple problem (they are notorious for not shutting down), and Infiniti made a poor choice in relying on the iPod to shut itself down instead of issuing a command to do it (as some after market head units do).

I've tried 4 ipods in mine, and only one of them did it. People have had success doing all sorts of random stuff like leaving the hold button on, leaving it off, updating the firmware, etc. I say random because no one solution seemed to work all the time, or even on the same model.

Try a search, as there are tons of threads on this. Hopefully one will work for you.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 AM
htj
Thanks for the response. Always good to know i'm not alone.

I tried giving my ipod a hard reboot last night, and after that it seemed to shut down OK. Not sure if that was just a fluke. I'll update this thread if i find anything that consistently works.

btw, i love the ipod interface.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMongoose
Thanks for the replies. Still not really understanding the iPod thing, though. Got in my car at the airport today after being out of town for 3 days, the music came on right away. Went to the video store, came back out 15 minutes later & started up, and no music. Just doesn't make sense. I guess I'll just learn to live with it.
I have experienced the same thing. However, I have found that, on the times when the iPod doesn't play immediately, if I wait long enough w/o doing anything - like say 30 or more seconds, it will start playing. I have no clue why it sometimes plays right away and sometimes takes a while. Regardless, on my car, it always starts playing.

Additionally, I have confirmed my iPod does shut off when my car is turned off. Consequently, I have never had to recharge my iPod for the 1 yr + I've had it hooked up to my G35 iPod interface (other than the minimal residual charging that takes place when I sync new music). This is with an old school iPod photo.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I have experienced the same thing. However, I have found that, on the times when the iPod doesn't play immediately, if I wait long enough w/o doing anything - like say 30 or more seconds, it will start playing. I have no clue why it sometimes plays right away and sometimes takes a while. Regardless, on my car, it always starts playing.

Additionally, I have confirmed my iPod does shut off when my car is turned off. Consequently, I have never had to recharge my iPod for the 1 yr + I've had it hooked up to my G35 iPod interface (other than the minimal residual charging that takes place when I sync new music). This is with an old school iPod photo.
Obviously your iPod is NOT shutting off every time. When the iPod does not start up right away, or automatically switches to the iPod after the car has been on for 30 seconds or so, it is because the battery was dead. It takes it 30 or so seconds to get enough of a charge from the iPod cable to start up, and the car thinks it was just plugged in so it swaps over to it automatically. It tends to happen when you make a lot of short trips, since it doesn't have time to fully charge the battery while you are driving.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:05 PM
This is all great info, but damn this interface is frustrating. I work pretty close to my house so I make a lot of short trips and my iPod would always run out of power.

This interface is great when it works, but I've pretty much given up on it at this point and leave my iPod disconnected. Hopefully there's a firmware update or something to resolve these problems.

btw: I'm running a 5th gen iPod with video.