Adding alarm components (shock, tilt, proximity)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding alarm components (shock, tilt, proximity)

First of all, does our factory alarm even have a shock sensor? Has anyone successfully integrated different sensors into the factory alarm? With the amount of theft and vandalizing around here, I would love to add some of these to deter or delay theft. Anyone?

Old 04-04-2009, 02:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
no shock sensor... my window was broken into and no alarm went off

Old 04-04-2009, 09:14 AM
+1 on the need for shock sensors. i was looking around the previous gen forums and somebody did a DIY on installing one. i just dont know if it will work on second gen g.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Im sure you can add a shock sensor to make your oem alarm better.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:39 PM
I have not seen anything for our years yet. Directed Electronics Inc. (DEI) has adaptors up to '06 but the '07+ comes up blank on their website. The unit is called Bypass Essentials Xpress Kit and allows you to integrate a Python alarm system (maybe other brands as well). I can't say what exactly it does and how it accomplishes it but it is supposed to plug right in to our harness. I guess you could contact them about an updated firmware possiblity in the future. Good luck.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_607XK02...=detailed_info

http://www.directedstore.com/InterFace.asp

Old 04-04-2009, 06:43 PM
I sell DEI products and none of those kits work. The link you provided is just the immobilizer bypass used when adding a remote starter. There is an alarm made by them that is made to work with the OEM remote, but it's not plug and play so unless you have experience I would say let your local shop do it.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by stclairwest
Im sure you can add a shock sensor to make your oem alarm better.
You can. Just add the sensor output to the hood switch input. It's pretty easy to do.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Vrod-Mike
I sell DEI products and none of those kits work. The link you provided is just the immobilizer bypass used when adding a remote starter. There is an alarm made by them that is made to work with the OEM remote, but it's not plug and play so unless you have experience I would say let your local shop do it.
Damn that Crutchfield! Thanks for the clarification.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:46 AM
You can. Just add the sensor output to the hood switch input. It's pretty easy to do.
What about a proximity sensor? Would this be the correct part?
http://cgi.ebay.com/DEI-504M-OEM-INT...3%3A1|294%3A50

And

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEI-508D-Dual-Zo...3%3A1|294%3A50

Old 04-05-2009, 08:16 AM
Originally Posted by ketchupfreak

The second one is what you want, but let me say I've installed hundreds of that exact unit and they are a bitch to adjust properly. Everything sets them off. The sensitivity also changes with temps so if you install it in the summer you'll most likely have to readjust it in the winter. I was never a fan of proximity sensors. Put a shock and glass sensor on your car and that will be good enough.

Most people think a proximity sensor will prevent people from touching their car when in reality it draws attention to their car. When the alarm chirps just when someone gets close enough to the car it makes people want to see how sensitive it is an they may spend more time near the car then if there was no sensor at all in it. There's no way to prevent someone from vadalizing or trying to break into your car. All an alarm is supposed to do is prevent someone from stealing your car and even that is most likely not going to happen if they really want your car.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tired to locate the hood switch, but it is very different from the 07'+ sedans

Old 04-05-2009, 04:13 PM
The second one is what you want, but let me say I've installed hundreds of that exact unit and they are a bitch to adjust properly. Everything sets them off. The sensitivity also changes with temps so if you install it in the summer you'll most likely have to readjust it in the winter. I was never a fan of proximity sensors. Put a shock and glass sensor on your car and that will be good enough.

Most people think a proximity sensor will prevent people from touching their car when in reality it draws attention to their car. When the alarm chirps just when someone gets close enough to the car it makes people want to see how sensitive it is an they may spend more time near the car then if there was no sensor at all in it. There's no way to prevent someone from vadalizing or trying to break into your car. All an alarm is supposed to do is prevent someone from stealing your car and even that is most likely not going to happen if they really want your car.
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll be adding a shock and glass sensor. Do you have a link for both parts?