Using bluetooth for audio (2018 thread)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 08:01 PM
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
G35x Base
Added to my setup, added a dual port usb socket that is "always on". Put a rocker switch on it so I can turn it off if I leave the car parked for extended periods. It also let me use all 4 ports on the plug in adapter for my phone, tablet, wifes phone, etc.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35 Sedan Sport
how did you remove the center console to install the additional USB socket?

Old 05-31-2019, 10:14 PM
G35x Base
Originally Posted by dx_g35
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...r-removal.html

Old 06-01-2019, 12:12 AM
Received 372 Likes on 339 Posts
Originally Posted by dx_g35
Joe has a G37. If you have a G35 its a little different.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:57 AM
G35x Base
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
Joe has a G37. If you have a G35 its a little different.
I have an 08 G35x, this is the exact way mine came apart.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G Sedan
Exactly what I needed to know , ordering parts now

Old 10-09-2019, 09:33 AM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Someone in the /G35 subreddit mentioned a device from Coolstream that works in G35s (and other models) that have the built-in iPod cable. For our cars, it's their CarPro unit (with BMW compatibility, etc, etc - if you go through their product selector, pick "BMW" and it works). You do need a 30-pin-adapter-charger inline that's also connected to USB power (micro-USB) to power the CarPro.

Using an iPhone (I have an 8), when using Apple Music, Spotify, and Pandora (all that I've tested), you get:
  • Track info - song title, artist, etc
  • Use of steering wheel controls for changing tracks
If you use Android, tested with an older Motorola as well as a Galaxy 9 or 10 (son's phone, can't remember what he has), the steering wheel controls do work but track info only shows up as "123" for the song and "123" for the artist. This is with Spotify and Google Music. I'll test with Pandora later but I'm willing to bet it will be no different.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35X S
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
Someone in the /G35 subreddit mentioned a device from Coolstream that works in G35s (and other models) that have the built-in iPod cable. For our cars, it's their CarPro unit (with BMW compatibility, etc, etc - if you go through their product selector, pick "BMW" and it works). You do need a 30-pin-adapter-charger inline that's also connected to USB power (micro-USB) to power the CarPro.

Using an iPhone (I have an 8), when using Apple Music, Spotify, and Pandora (all that I've tested), you get:
  • Track info - song title, artist, etc
  • Use of steering wheel controls for changing tracks
If you use Android, tested with an older Motorola as well as a Galaxy 9 or 10 (son's phone, can't remember what he has), the steering wheel controls do work but track info only shows up as "123" for the song and "123" for the artist. This is with Spotify and Google Music. I'll test with Pandora later but I'm willing to bet it will be no different.
Thanks for this info, I am checking this out. I'm curious if you notice any difference of audio quality vs plugging directly into the 30 pin cable? I have the 30 pin connector with a lighting cable adapter to plug into my IPhone X. Quality seems fine but it is a pain because I have to take my case off for it to fit, really hoping this would be my solution and you have some input. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-23-2020, 09:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a GROM audio unit that works for the 07 and 08 units to provide BT or USB integration. I'm selling it as I no longer need it, but it's in perfect condition. Easy to install. PM me if interested.

Old 01-23-2020, 01:05 PM
G35X S
Originally Posted by dookie
I have a GROM audio unit that works for the 07 and 08 units to provide BT or USB integration. I'm selling it as I no longer need it, but it's in perfect condition. Easy to install. PM me if interested.
I bought the setup Stevenson was talking about on Amazon and it should be here today. If it doesn’t work well I will let you know. How much are you asking for it?

Old 01-23-2020, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Stickyz
I bought the setup Stevenson was talking about on Amazon and it should be here today. If it doesn’t work well I will let you know. How much are you asking for it?
I paid $124 for it.

Probably take $60-70 for it. I also made an adapter for it to use it with the 07 G35S with Nav/Bose, since grom doesn't support that. I use it through the CD Changer cable in the trunk. simple.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:38 PM
G35X S
Originally Posted by dookie
I paid $124 for it.

Probably take $60-70 for it. I also made an adapter for it to use it with the 07 G35S with Nav/Bose, since grom doesn't support that. I use it through the CD Changer cable in the trunk. simple.
well ****, wish I would have held out on buying those, I spent about $100. If I am not happy with the quality I will shoot you a message. I haven’t looked at the hookups for the CD player, is it basically pulling back the lining and plug and play or what?

Old 01-24-2020, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Stickyz
well ****, wish I would have held out on buying those, I spent about $100. If I am not happy with the quality I will shoot you a message. I haven’t looked at the hookups for the CD player, is it basically pulling back the lining and plug and play or what?

whether or not you have to use the CD changer connection is dependent on what options your car has. The other option is to go through the XM radio. This only works if you have the external XM box in the trunk. if you have nav + bose, the XM radio is integrated into the AV unit.

For the CD changer, it's as easy as pulling down the tray in the back and disconnecting the cable. The tricky part is that you have to physically connect the pins to the Grom connector. I hacked up something awhile ago that worked well enough. Today, I know enough to be able to locate and order the actual connectors and create my own adapter harness (why grom never did this, I don't know).

The only downside with this: you don't get any track information on the screen. minor annoyance. if you have a phone mount, it will be there anyway.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:35 PM
G35X S
So I wanted to make a follow up with my experience and setup for playing music wireless. Stevenson suggested this and thank you, it worked great! I know for me this was probably the biggest downside with the car, I loved everything else but for a car that had so many other options and gadgets it was a bit disappointing not having this.

I have a 2008 G35X S, it has premium/tech package with Bose and navigation in case that helps. Phone I am using to play music on is IPhone X.

With this setup all steering wheel features to adjust volume and change song work, as well as artist and title displayed on screen. Also when a call comes in you can answer as normal, music will pause and when the call is ended music comes back on.

All said and done the total cost was $110 for everything needed, you could probably find some cheaper options-for example the main bluetooth device was $70, the same company offers one that I believe was about $20, but I didn't want to cheap out on the most important part so I went with this option. The bluetooth device apparently is formatted for different makes such as Mercedes, Audi, VW, etc.. The option for our Infiniti would be the BMW/Mini option.

When I purchased my car it had a plug in in the center console that was the old school Ipod (30 Pin) plug out, not sure if this is standard or if you will need this also, I did see them for about $10 in case you need that piece as well. From the 30 pin plug in you will need the adapter that will give the bluetooth device enough juice to power on, there is a micro usb port on this piece that you run from the cigarette lighter port. I purchased a dual usb so I could charge my phone as well (worked like a charm). Once you have the adapter on the 30 pin and the micro usb plugged into this you add the carpro bluetooth device to the end of the adapter and you should have power signified by a blue light. From there you will open your bluetooth settings and connect, it will ask for a pin # which should be 0000. That is all there is to it. Pictures are below, it is a bit of a bummer using almost the entire center console to house this, but I'm sure I could clean it up a little to get some more usable space.

EDIT: Blue chord coming out is a lighting cable to charge phone.
Cool Stream CarPro Bluetooth Device (BMW/Mini version) $70:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017RWJ46O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017RWJ46O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adapter for 30 pin cable to connect CarPro device $27:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026AG38K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026AG38K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dual USB port from cigarette lighter $8:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FHZRQN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FHZRQN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB to Micro USB $5:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX0IF95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX0IF95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The following users liked this post:
drivethefive (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 12:29 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I wonder what those of us do that have the rca inputs? My 08 X doesn't have the tech package so I don't have the 30 pin connector that your Coolstream connects to.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Using bluetooth for audio (2018 thread)