People with 19" and 20" Aftermarket Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2007 | 02:29 AM
|
People with 19" and 20" Aftermarket Wheels

I was hoping for some help...

I wanted to ask those of you who have bigger wheels/tires if there are rubbing issues. I have a black 07 G with the stock 18"ers and wanted to get the EXE Konclave wheels in either 19" or 20" .

If I go with 19" EXE Konclaves, do I get 9.5 rear and 8.5 front? And which offset? Do I need specials springs or does 19" fit flawlessly on the G sedan.

Also, how do bigger wheels change the gas mileage of the car? Good, bad, the same? Do any of you think it gives you better MPG?

Thanks

Last edited by philthyG; 08-16-2007 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-16-2007 | 02:50 AM
Old 08-16-2007 | 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by philthyG

I wanted to ask those of you who have bigger wheels/tires if there are rubbing issues. I have a black 07 G with the stock 18"ers and wanted to get the EXE Konclave wheels in either 19" or 20" .

If I go with 19" EXE Konclaves, do I get 9.5 rear and 8.5 front? And which offset? Do I need specials springs or does 19" fit flawlessly on the G sedan.

Also, how do bigger wheels change the gas mileage of the car? Good, bad, the same? Do any of you think it gives you better MPG?

Thanks
a guy in houston put 22" wheels and they didn't rub with 4 people in the car so I doubt 19's or 20's would. and it's simple physics that a car with bigger tires would get worse gas mileage...that's why most jeep owners don't throw on the 33" tires until they go off-roading, so they don't get crappy gas mileage

Old 08-16-2007 | 04:12 PM
you'll probably need a drop with 19s, you *might* not need a drop with 20s if the tires are big enough (like mine).. I have massive tires and no rubbing so you should be good..

get 9" front 10" back.. be a man..

Old 08-17-2007 | 02:23 AM
This may be a stupid question...so my apologies...but I know that the gas mileage will be worse. But will the actual tracking of miles ticking away also be affected?

Old 08-17-2007 | 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by TheIvoryG
This may be a stupid question...so my apologies...but I know that the gas mileage will be worse. But will the actual tracking of miles ticking away also be affected?
Depends on the tire size. If you stick w/ a rim/tire combo that matches the diameter of the stock wheels, there will be no effect on the speedometer or odometer. If you use smaller than stock diameter tires, your speedometer will read faster than actual speed and your odo will read more miles than actual miles driven. The reverse would be true if you run larger than stock diameter tires.

Old 08-17-2007 | 10:18 PM
The key here is not to install a larger wheel and tire combo to get to a larger overall rolling diameter. Were are not trying to build a monster truck, by install larger tires. We are increasing the size of the wheel and decreasing the sidewall of the tire ultimately keep the exact same diameter around the tire tread. 24's will not rub if you can find a tire with short enough aspect ratio i.e. 245/10/24

24's won't rub unless they are too wide or you put too tall of a tire on it.

Old 08-18-2007 | 02:30 AM
wether or not u'll rub depends on the combination of width, offset and tire size, not the wheel's diameter. u can put 22"s on and not rub but u can also have 17"s that rub. it also depends on ur suspension setup.

Old 08-18-2007 | 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by ommmjido
wether or not u'll rub depends on the combination of width, offset and tire size, not the wheel's diameter. u can put 22"s on and not rub but u can also have 17"s that rub. it also depends on ur suspension setup.
Yep. You can put 14's on that will rub. The size of the wheel makes very little difference to whether it will rub or not, within reason. It's the outside diameter of the tire, the width of the wheel and tire and yes, the offset of the wheel. A lower offset will make the tire stick out farther which could cause it to rub the fender or a higher offset could cause it to rub on the inside.

There are many web resources. Do a bit of research before buying and you should be fine.

Old 08-19-2007 | 11:32 PM
|
So if I were to get 19" or 20" wheels, which offset and width should I go with to ensure it won't have issues with stock suspension.

Is it safe to assume that the stock 18" wheels' offset and width will be ok with 19" and 20" wheels too?

THanks

PS I have the 07 G35 S so I assume I can go wider in the rear, which I think I'll do.

Old 08-20-2007 | 04:19 PM
No rubbing issues here. 19.9 MPG

Thanks
No rubbing issues here. 19.9 mpg. Firmer ride, not too noisy. Feel all the expansion joints in the road.

Old 08-20-2007 | 09:59 PM
So if I were to get 19" or 20" wheels, which offset and width should I go with to ensure it won't have issues with stock suspension.

Is it safe to assume that the stock 18" wheels' offset and width will be ok with 19" and 20" wheels too?

THanks

PS I have the 07 G35 S so I assume I can go wider in the rear, which I think I'll do.
Offset is not effected by how large the wheels are in diameter, only how wide the wheel is. I have 8.5" wheels on front and back with a +45 offset. I think it works well and does not stick out too far. If you lower it the wheels will be drawn back in a bit, keep that in mind. Check out this web site it's very helpful. http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

You can match the offset from the sport 18" wheels but only if you use the same width wheels - 7.5" and 8.5". 8.5" and 9.5" will require different offsets.

The Journey and the Sports can run identical offsets as I understand it. The 18 inch sport wheels are available on the journey as an upgrade, so I believe they are identical.

Old 08-20-2007 | 10:15 PM
i've been looking at wheels, and i looked at the wheel and suspension guide, but a lot of pictures don't show a perfect shot from the back side to see how much the wheel stick out. I want a wheel that either sit flush or sink in a bit, and i want to go 20x8.5 front and 20x10 rear, what offset will be best for me?

Old 08-21-2007 | 04:14 AM
|
Thanks guys. It would help me tremendously if someone could tell me what offset to get if I want to get 8.5 up front, 9.5 in the rear with 19" wheels.

Also, based on the offsets you guys recommend, what is the WIDEST I can go with tires? I have some tires that are 19/30/265 rear and 19/35/235 front and I'd like to use them.

Thanks, this will really help me and two friends who want this answered as well.

Old 08-21-2007 | 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by disgookonfiya
i've been looking at wheels, and i looked at the wheel and suspension guide, but a lot of pictures don't show a perfect shot from the back side to see how much the wheel stick out. I want a wheel that either sit flush or sink in a bit, and i want to go 20x8.5 front and 20x10 rear, what offset will be best for me?
thats the setup im having installed this afternoon (finally). ill post some pictures up so you can see what it looks like. i went with +38 offset in the front and +50 in the rear to fit the 10"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: People with 19" and 20" Aftermarket Wheels