New 08 G35x brakes feel ABS "crunchy"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by treacherous
I believe I know the sensation you are feeling. Early on I thought it was warped rotors as well when I first got my G. In my experience it appears to just be the road surface since it is reproducible on certain roads.
I thought this too, but then I detect it in my parking garage (perfectly smooth paved garage .. between 5-10mph)

The vibration AGAIN has nothing to do with the brake applied .. you can feel it just by touching your right foot to the brake pedal ..

this is a FINE vibration .. not a COARSE vibration -- don't think some members are understanding this concept. A coarse vibration would be the classic warped rotors ... brakes applied and then you feel that significant shimmy in the steering wheel and brake pedal... this is NOT that.

I think it's normal since both our cars have it and both perform just fine. I'm not at all worried about it, just curious more than anything. Hard to believe two G35x's purchased on the same day have the exact same alignment problem, drivetrain cpu problem, and unbalanced wheels...

Oh, and i have a perfectly smooth, non-shimmy-ing steering wheel at all speeds. No wheel balance issues.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:54 AM
Elc
I have the same thing in my 08 G35x. I though I was just "feeling the road" or feedback through the pedal and wheel. When I take in for service I will mention it. I noticed this from the first test drive at the dealership.

Got to tell you these are sick vehicles, love this car.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Just a followup to say that I drove the car again last night to see what occurs at different speeds and here is what I can tell you:

Between 5-35mph this super-fine vibration is present in the brake pedal when it is lightly depressed (or as peterubers already said) touched with the side of your right foot. Braking is smooth however in that the vehicle comes to a smooth stop, the steering wheel does NOT shimmy, and there are no noises from the brakes.

Between 40-65mph at highway speeds when slowing for a toll booth or to make an exit, there is hardly any noticeable vibration felt in the pedal.

On perfectly smooth surfaces - i.e. coasting down the ramp of a concrete parking garage, the sensation is completely obvious. I would rule out rough surfaces as the cause based on this.

After coming home (and putting on my new G35driver license plate frames - thanks Aesonvirus!) I took the car out some more and at this point I gotta say I'm convinced it must be something inherent to the design of the AWD, center diff, or something similar. I am not worried that it is rotors at this point.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Fluffy --

I totally agree, this has got to be something normal for the '07/08 G35x's.... interesting that the pre-07 X's do not have this issue.

Oh, and I agree it is not road feel transmitted to the brakes.... that makes no sense as I've also tested the vehicle on perfectly smooth pavement.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
I recently purchased on 07' x and noticed the same thing. My wife took the car into the dealer to flash the ECM to correct the touchy throttle. I had them look at the brakes while she was there as I described them as "gritty" instead of "crunchy". They drove the car and said it was normal. I did not want to believe him until I am reading this post. They tried to blow off the "touchy" throttle as they had not heard of of the TSB for it saying I just wasn't used to driving a car with this much power and that was what I was feeling. I told him my other car is an 08' vette and that I was used to a car with this much power and the throttle was in fact touchy. I don't think that Infiniti would have released a TSB if they did not know that had a problem.

At any rate, I am still a little worried about the longevity of the powertrain if this "gritty or crunchy" feeling is normal. How will it be 100,000 miles down the road?

Old 01-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I've thought of that too .. if this grittiness/fine vibration is, in fact, related to the drivetrain/center diff/whatever, I wonder when it'll get worse.. if it ever does.

I'm not too worried about it as the bumper to bumper is 60,000 miles... and he drivetrain has a bit of a longer warranty .. by the time my warranty is nearing its end... if it's not worse, i'm not worried. If it is worse, it'll be enough for the stealership to diagnose and service it.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Well, personally I'm glad I brought this up because its good to know that this is not something that is unique to my G35x only. Being new, I didnt want to post something that was already discussed at length but I had done a few searches and didnt find anything really similar in terms of what I was feeling with my car. Based on what a few of you guys have confirmed, I can live with it and really dont see much value in taking it to the dealer just for this issue. I'll bring it up at service and see if they know anything, but my guess is that they wont find or say anything enlightening.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:41 AM
I too have this issue, and noticed it when I first test drove the vehicle....but it seems to be actually getting better as I drive the car more. I am wondering whether to bring it in, or just to accept it as part of the car. I feel if many people are having this issue, maybe it isn't the rotors. I am also having a weird issue where the heat resets back to off whenever I re-enter the car. Gotta get that checked.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Hard to believe it's the rotors considering you can feel the fine vibration in the brake pedal even when you're not applying the brake.

I can definitely live with it... the brakes are very good, the car is super smooth .. I wonder if any pre'-07 X owners would chime in to mention if they have this or a similar issue.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:25 PM
I also had the 04 G35x for 3 years and I never noticed it.

Old 01-30-2009, 09:54 PM
same thing

I had the exact same problem on my brand new '08 G35X when i got it in may.
posted it here. I came from 3 series bmw. Had it checked out by the shop and test drove with tech in car. Then also took out a brand new one to test drive and it did the same thing. Noticed vibration at various speeds and on various surfaces. Totally normal. The brakes just needed to be broken in.

It's wierd at first. It took 3 months, but the brakes have been smooth since and I'm at 10K miles. Zero defects. give it time.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ferrerid=67156

dont stress. not warped rotors. be patient.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 PM
thanks for the post glocker...makes me feel better...I actually noticed that its getting a bit better after 500 miles...so I am sure by the time I reach 3000, it should be fine.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 PM
no problem. my neighbor who has gone from bmw 5 series to the Infiniti M45 told me i'd hate the car the first three months, then love it.

I hate to admit it, but he was dead on. Those first three months coming from a german car were rough. Now I'd never go back. I'm sold on Infiniti.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:54 AM
Very interesting... hopefully i'll report in 3 months that the vibration is gone ..

Old 02-01-2009, 12:00 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about.
Here's a thread I started on this subject.
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...rake-feel.html
On smooth roads is not bad. Also a recent 07 G35X i used as a loaner had thee same exact brake feel.
Also while at the dealer on the day I used a loaner they resurface the rotors but it still feel the same.
I'm starting to believe this is normal and has something to do with a combination of the tire/wheel
transmitting road feel through the pedal. On these same surfaces you can also feel a similar feeling
through the gas pedal.

Last edited by gugarci; 02-01-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Adding Content

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 08 G35x brakes feel ABS "crunchy"