New 08 G35x brakes feel ABS "crunchy"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 08 G35x brakes feel ABS "crunchy"

I'm coming off driving an 06 Nissan Altima 2.5 sedan (with no ABS) but I've owned several other cars with ABS, and am currently also driving our other vehicle which has ABS.

I love the 08 G35x sedan and it drives amazingly in all areas and I'm quite comfortable with the car's handling and braking, but I have noticed that the pedal-feel on my car under normal braking feels decidedly "crunchy" as if ABS is being employed when I know it is not, under simple stopping. The only thing I think can explain this is that perhaps there is a slight warping of my rotors OR this is simply how the car feels and it is perfectly normal.

I would say that I can feel the slight pulsation under routine braking about 75% of the time. Some times its completely obvious and other times less so. It feels as if there is a slight vibration and stopping is not completely smooth. I just wanted to ask if other new car owners on here have experienced it or not.

Thanks

Old 01-26-2009, 09:41 AM
I've had my '08 G35x for over a year now and with 20K on it, I have never had any brake pulsation. That's with a daily commute of 45 miles each way in terrible traffic. Although I think rotors are not routinely covered by warranty, if yours is brand new and has pulsation, it should be covered.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it is that new just take it in. I would.

I have no problem with my brakes other than I kill them quick. LOL But that is due to my driving style.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 AM
is it similiar to this?

https://g35driver.com/forums/tech-07...-new-g35x.html

if it is, then i think you are fine.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Kinn
is it similiar to this?

https://g35driver.com/forums/tech-07...-new-g35x.html

if it is, then i think you are fine.
Kinn,

Nope, its definitely not that variety of sound or feeling. It simply feels like ABS is kicking on slow stops that would never require ABS to kick in. I will have it looked at by the dealer.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:02 PM
I have two brand new 2008 G35x's (prem/nav) that do the EXACT same thing...

Here's my best description:

below about 25 mph, when coasting or coming to a stop with either gentle or typical stopping force on the brake pedal... my right foot can detect a FINE vibration (NOT THE VERY OBVIOUS, OVERT/blatant large pulsations and associated sound of the ABS system...) until the vehicle comes to a stop. There is no pulsation in the brake... it's this micro-fine vibration as if the rotors are grinding...

here's the kicker, even when NOT apply the brake but just applying my right foot gently to the side of the brake (at the ~1-25mph speed), I can detect this vibration -- it's a constant vibration and therefore does not change during the entire stopping process. The brakes are buttery smooth (in terms of the pedal, no noises from inside or out).

This is my first G35x .. AWD I'm thinking .. perhaps this is the center diff somehow engaging the front wheels and i'm feeling the center diff vibrations...

Stopping power is perfect. ABS (as experienced in our recent snowy weather) is flawless and sounds normal and the ABS pulsations are VERY different than what I and the OP are describing.

I've read a few other threads regarding this. Both of our new '08 X's do this.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ha, I was going crazy with this same problem. I believe what you are feeling is the road through the pedal. Try this, find two pieces of road that you can do a few stops on. Look for a smooth section and a rough section. By rough I don't mean potholes or patchwork, just more pronounced gravel in the asphalt. Do a few repeated stops on each and see what you come up with. I'm guessing its just the road.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I have two brand new 2008 G35x's (prem/nav) that do the EXACT same thing...

Here's my best description:

below about 25 mph, when coasting or coming to a stop with either gentle or typical stopping force on the brake pedal... my right foot can detect a FINE vibration (NOT THE VERY OBVIOUS, OVERT/blatant large pulsations and associated sound of the ABS system...) until the vehicle comes to a stop. There is no pulsation in the brake... it's this micro-fine vibration as if the rotors are grinding...

here's the kicker, even when NOT apply the brake but just applying my right foot gently to the side of the brake (at the ~1-25mph speed), I can detect this vibration -- it's a constant vibration and therefore does not change during the entire stopping process. The brakes are buttery smooth (in terms of the pedal, no noises from inside or out).

This is my first G35x .. AWD I'm thinking .. perhaps this is the center diff somehow engaging the front wheels and i'm feeling the center diff vibrations...

Stopping power is perfect. ABS (as experienced in our recent snowy weather) is flawless and sounds normal and the ABS pulsations are VERY different than what I and the OP are describing.

I've read a few other threads regarding this. Both of our new '08 X's do this.
This is very interesting and MUCH more in line with what I was trying to describe in my original post. It is clearly not an ABS issue, meaning that I know that my ABS is not pumping the brakes creating this sensation in my foot, but I also know that i do definitely feel something peculiar even under slow and moderate braking.

Thinking that maybe I had warped rotors, i turned off all audio in the car and with the car at an idle roll down the ramp of a parking garage (smooth concrete) i let the car roll and applied the brakes. I do not feel the roll then grab, then roll and grab that I would associate with a warped or unevenly worn rotor...it simply feels like a small series of constant vibrations that I can feel through the brake pedal and into my foot. Braking is smooth, no other obvious manifestation of brake problems.

I did not ever feel this type of vibration in any previous car with ABS or AWD (A4 quattros, BMW X series).

Old 01-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Yeah.. my mother's E320 4-matic is 35/65 power split through the center diff ALL time... and it doesn't do this ..

interesting thing... at speeds greater than 30mph... don't have any of that vibration ...

Old 01-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I thought I was going crazy .. then I hopped in my mother-in-law's new '08X and drove it around and felt the same thing.

Then, I hopped into my sister-in-law's 2006 G35x and it does NOT do this ... must be an '08X thing

Old 01-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Let me check into the relationship on speed to this sensation and report back tomorrow. That is interesting. And thanks

Old 01-26-2009, 01:21 PM
oh, and at times I feel a slight associated vibration through the steering wheel

Old 01-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you feel vibration on the steering wheels when you are braking than it should be your brake pulsing(warped).

Old 01-26-2009, 09:54 PM
i came from an Xterra and an explorer, and most of the time...i really don't feel the road at all, like bumps and potholes, or even slight road imperfection. Which then goes for the steering wheels and brakes, basically it feels the same on all surfaces.

Now comes the G35x from 3 weeks ago.......when i first drove it, i thought i broke the car. I feel every freaking thing on the road, even slight erosion on decent small roads, and don't even get me started on dips and manholes. My steering wheel never physically vibrates or wobbles, but it sure feels very very different on all roads. Kind of reminds me of "force feedback" on gaming console's steering wheel. It literally tells your fingertips how smooth or rough the pavement is. Then comes the brake.....everytime i step on it, its the same sensation as the steering wheel.

Overall, i think the G35 does a great job at communicating to the driver.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
This is crazy I thought I'm the only one on here having this issue...Here's what I did.
I brought the car to the dealer.
my 'vibrations' occured around 60ish km/h (35mph). It wasn't brake related though as I would feel this only when cruising/coasting at that speed, give or take a few mph.

I thought it was a lowering issue, pinion angle or some crap on that line so I decided to put the stock springs on the rear as the rear is the one sensing when to engage the front for the AWD.

Here's what the dealer did:
1.reset the CPU's that control the drivetrain.
2.balanced my wheels
3.I then gave the car an alignment and it went away, at least 90% of the time. By this I mean, it used to do it ALL the time, and since the trip to the dealer and align shop, i've felt it twice.

maybe you guys might have luck, my conclusion is that the alignment cured it. not sure but hey, maybe your dealer can try that out for you under warranty.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New 08 G35x brakes feel ABS "crunchy"