The V36 Coilover info thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:26 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
With the coupe 19's it looks fine. To me,it won't even look like it needs a drop

Old 03-05-2009, 01:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by san~man
With the coupe 19's it looks fine. To me,it won't even look like it needs a drop
that statement from you made me search for pics of a g35s with coupe wheels and stock suspension. and i found it!

https://g35driver.com/forums/picture...37-wheels.html

....and it looks amazing. it really doesn't look like it needs a drop at all and it seems like it fills the gaps better than the 18s even though the circumference of both wheel/tire combos are nearly identical. very strange, but excellent discovery.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
I actually think that the gap is more noticeable with low profile tires. I hate the gap, myself, and can't wait to get rid of it... I just don't want the car to be too low or too stiff... that's why I ended up going with the Tanabe NF210 comfort springs... really wanted the IMPUL's, but could see spending that much on springs when I'm probably gonna end up with coil-overs in the future anyway.

FYI... Mark, Travis (KulG35) and I adjusted his coil-overs once ourselves, and it wasn't too bad. If you've got a jack, some jackstands, a socket set, and a torque wrench, then your all set.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:50 AM
Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
I actually think that the gap is more noticeable with low profile tires.
i would have agreed with you about a half hour ago. but have you looked at the thread i posted in my last message? those coupe 19s look wicked on the sedan, and seem to hide that gap well..

Old 03-05-2009, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by markk132
i would have agreed with you about a half hour ago. but have you looked at the thread i posted in my last message? those coupe 19s look wicked on the sedan, and seem to hide that gap well..
The coupe 19's hide the gap well due to the wheel design, and the fact that the spokes extend all the way to the rim lip. Also, since the overall diameter is almst identical, you're seeing more rim/less tire than before, which helps in the illusion

I will eventuall get me a set too, but I'm working on the coilovers first to compliment the sway bars and get rid of the crap stock suspension

Old 03-05-2009, 03:42 AM
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Yeah, I've seen that thread before, Mark, and I absolutely love the G37 wheels on an IP sedan. I do agree with San that the G37 wheel design, with the lack of a lip, do help by not accentuating the gap... but I also know that the gap is being "hidden" in most of those pics because of lack of contrast between the tires and wheel wells. I've seen several IP sedans in person with the G37 19's on them and I think that in person, the gap is more apparent than ever, especially with the lower profile tires.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
going with coilovers, need help

so for those who have experience with coilovers, what do you guys recommend? I need something with adjustable height and damping and is good quality. HPAuto seems to have some nice coilovers but I'm not sure which to go with. One more thing, do G37 coupe coilovers fit the G sedan?

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:19 PM
JIC makes a really nice set of coilovers for our cars. Did a little search and here is the thread BlueSlate started about it (he was the 1st to get it on a second gen sedan, I think he was the test car ) https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-37-...edans-now.html Previous generation sedans and coupes had different springs, shocks, coilovers etc. Don't think u should switch between the two on second generation cars either. Good luck

Old 05-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my Tein's... but they haven't been released yet... at least not that I know of...

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-37-...coilovers.html

Old 05-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by KulG35
I love my Tein's... but they haven't been released yet... at least not that I know of...

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-37-...coilovers.html
How do they ride compared to stock? I've had my experience with overvalved coilovers and I want the option to lower the car on coilovers without it being overly stiff.

Tein may not have the best valving, but I'm not racing this car and would be happy if it rode smoothly or close to stock.

Edit: reading through your post now...

Edit2:

How does it ride on its softest setting?

Last edited by Blue Slate 6MT; 05-06-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Domesticdemon, i'm talking about switching between G37 coupe and G35 sedan and both are second generations. the JIC coilovers fit both the sedan and coupe.
those JIC's are nice but are more than what I'm willing to pay.

What about Tanabe coilovers?
http://www.amplifiedmotorsport.com/i...d=8&subcatid=3

Old 05-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
Domesticdemon, i'm talking about switching between G37 coupe and G35 sedan and both are second generations. the JIC coilovers fit both the sedan and coupe.

these sustec look good and with people who are running tanabes on here loving the ride these could be better. would love to get them if they work on an X.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter

The Tanabes are good if you don't really plan to/want to change the settings that often. Me, I'm a "set and forget" type of guy, but I've been tinkering with my settings to find the overall best setting for my DD.

One thing to consider is where you'd have to send the unit to get re-valved, when/if the day comes. The JIC can be re-valved in Cali, while the others I'm not too sure about.

Second, you should consider if the unit can be lowered without affecting the spring preload. Some can, some can't.

Third, you should consider that if you do get an adjustable CO, how are you going to make the adjustments. Anything other than a Tein will require you to do what I do, meaning that you have to remove the back seat everytime you want to make an adjustment. To me it's no big deal, as it only takes 2 minutes to remove the seat. I did have to make an access hole, it's in the DIY.

Fourth, you will need to realize that no matter what, it won't ride as "plush" as the stock suspension does. It's going to be stiffer, no matter what, as the spring rates are much higher than stock on CO's. Sure, you can soften the stiffness of the strut, but that will only go so far.

I'm happy with my choice in JIC so far.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:06 PM
the stiffer ride and adjustable height is what I'm looking for, however I'm still unsure whether the preset damping setting on the Tanabe's would be good enough for me. decisions decisions! If I decide on JIC's (or any of the 2K+ coilovers) then I'm probably gonna go with sways and other mods first.
How often do they need to get re-valved anyway?

thanks for your input!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Slate 6MT
How do they ride compared to stock? I've had my experience with overvalved coilovers and I want the option to lower the car on coilovers without it being overly stiff.

Tein may not have the best valving, but I'm not racing this car and would be happy if it rode smoothly or close to stock.

Edit: reading through your post now...

Edit2:

How does it ride on its softest setting?
In the softest setting I was pretty close to stock. I keep my settings pretty aggressive (8) and it's pretty stiff... but it I adjust to like 16... its pretty soft!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The V36 Coilover info thread