My Falken FK-452 Feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:21 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by jran76
20k is crazy (although I am pretty sure you rotate yours)
That I do. That's the one benefit to having the non-staggered setup.
Maybe that's the secret

Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
this might be a crazy thought, but do you have stock wheels and keep your car outside? Maybe someone stole your rear wheels and replaced them with their worn set. It just doesn't make sense that they wore out so quick. I've had 2 sets of them on my coupe, and I tend to get at least 12k-15k out of them. I'd be pissed.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ Lol that's definitely a crazy thought, but I'd have to agree that its just not normal for the Falkens to get such little mileage.
I'll probably be getting them since I've heard mostly good things.
Unless anyone has another 20" directional summer tire in mind...sadly haven't found anything from Pirelli, Michelin, or Bridgestone

Old 07-06-2009, 11:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive had my Falkens 452's for about 8,000km now... and im very happy with them.

Dry road grip is great. Wet road grip is awesome =) No hydroplaining; not once.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Come on guys, lets make some sense of this. Front tires look good, rear tires dont. Car is RWD. The OP is say he does go for some spirited drive's.... who's to judge what spirited driving is. Ive been there, done that. Convinced my parents many times back in the day that the rear tires "must have been a bad batch", that theres no way you could only get 4000 miles out of rear tires driving so called "normally". I do admit fk452 do wear quicker than other tires but 5000 miles from rears and the front look like they have 10k left, your pushing your car harder than the average driver.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on 452's with my coupe and have had good results with them so far. I am pretty sure I will surpass the 10k mark on the rears (275/35). The fronts will go at least 15k from the look of things. I am noticing more road noise the further on I go. Performance wise these things haven't disappointed me yet, wet or dry.

Maybe you were hyrdroplaning because a) you have a heavy RWD car and/or b) your tires were bald?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeYo
Come on guys, lets make some sense of this. Front tires look good, rear tires dont. Car is RWD. The OP is say he does go for some spirited drive's.... who's to judge what spirited driving is. Ive been there, done that. Convinced my parents many times back in the day that the rear tires "must have been a bad batch", that theres no way you could only get 4000 miles out of rear tires driving so called "normally". I do admit fk452 do wear quicker than other tires but 5000 miles from rears and the front look like they have 10k left, your pushing your car harder than the average driver.
^+1
...seems pretty obvious

Old 07-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad experiences, OP.

I've had my 452s for nearly 20k miles, rotated every 7.5k miles. I've got 7/32 tread left on it, and that's with a track day as well as fun-in-loose-gravel driving added in the mix. It's one of the absolute best tires i've ever used. Even drove it through that bad Allison-type rain here in Houston earlier this year and had no problems with it whatsoever.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
jran, meant to ask, but I forgot what area of town you live and what highways you drive on most...

with all this crazy changing of weather and some of the bad spots where poor highway design took place (i.e. 75) that may be part of your problem.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess I should have mentioned in my first post that I've had my current set for about 4,000 miles and they look fine, they are almost half worn. I have a -2.2 camber in the rear to clear my current setup. I had to add more camber in the front to clear my setup about 14 days ago from a -1.2 to a -2.1 in the front. Because I added more camber in the front I would expect my entire set to wear out evenly and last about 10k.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
I wont talk much and just say that i have had these tires for about over 10k and have been very happy and they still seem really good and near new, but i am NOT dropped so that helps a lot.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JC-RH
this might be a crazy thought, but do you have stock wheels and keep your car outside? Maybe someone stole your rear wheels and replaced them with their worn set. It just doesn't make sense that they wore out so quick. I've had 2 sets of them on my coupe, and I tend to get at least 12k-15k out of them. I'd be pissed.
I am running Volk GTS wheels that are pretty distinct. No switch-a-roo possible.

Originally Posted by MikeYo
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
^+1
...seems pretty obvious
So you would think, but I don't think this is the case. Trust me, the common sense side of me says this is possible. The fact is I have not changed my driving habits and have never had this happen. If I had never had a set of high performance tires, I could see me being oblivious to the fact, but this is my 10-12th set, and I am pretty aware of how I drive. I'll explain a little more below in response to BlueBOB.

I will also mention that at this point in my life I am a pretty mature driver. That was not always the case, but I am 33 years old now and I am pretty attentive and aware of how I drive now. Not knocking the younger people here, I just used to be a lot different driver when I was 23 versus 33. I was also a lot more clueless about what was going on around me, etc.

With that said, I have taken the VDC off a grand total of 2 times since I got the car. As much as I would like to think I am some crazy driver, I am not. There is no way I have put anywhere near the wear on these that some of the guys that tracked their car has. I have tracked previous cars, and the driving I do on the street I would rate at 2/10 of what you would do on a track at the most.

Originally Posted by BlueBOB
jran, meant to ask, but I forgot what area of town you live and what highways you drive on most...

with all this crazy changing of weather and some of the bad spots where poor highway design took place (i.e. 75) that may be part of your problem.
Well, the tires have 4700 miles on them. 3900 of the 4700 miles are highway miles. All of it driving from Dallas, TX to Fayetteville, AR. This is about 360 miles each way, plus driving around in Arkansas. I have 4 of these trips on these tires. The roads stink, but I have driven the same drive literally 100's of times without issue.

That leaves about 800 miles of driving around Dallas. I work from home and most of my trips are to the store, or to lunch or dinner. Anyone that lives around North Dallas can attest that there are not many places for spirited driving. 95% of my driving is on the tollway and PGB turnpike. Both nice and smooth roads. I am rarely on 35/635/75. Everything else is on the roads of west Plano, which are some of the best around.

I am going to go back to Cobb this week to pick up an AccessPort, and get is dyno tuned. They did my alignment the day I put these tires on, and I am going to have them throw it back on the rack to check it out again while I am there.

Last edited by jran76; 07-07-2009 at 03:48 PM.