Shudder at 40mph (~60km/h)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the most recent ECU reflash and it didnt fix any of the shudder problems. After the reflash my idle was all over the place on warm starts. My 07 only has 31k on it. Something isn't right.

Most of you guys who have this shudder problem own the X? I wonder if it's something specific to the AWD transfer case...

Old 03-25-2010, 01:41 PM
I just wrote to Infiniti Corporate. My dealer has been no help on this.

2007 G35x has shuddering issues at 40mph when coasting, then applying light gas. Dealer suggests ECU update but I dont want to lose the throttle response. Issue discussed by MANY unhappy Infiniti consumers here: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...-60km-h-6.html (mainly pgs 4-6) Please let me know what you would suggest, car has 22,000mi and I am very unhappy.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by NBYOND
I have the most recent ECU reflash and it didnt fix any of the shudder problems. After the reflash my idle was all over the place on warm starts. My 07 only has 31k on it. Something isn't right.

Most of you guys who have this shudder problem own the X? I wonder if it's something specific to the AWD transfer case...

Interesting.. I have an X. Does anyone have this problem and not have an X???

Old 03-26-2010, 10:42 PM
I have a 06 2wd sedan and I too experience a shudder problem mainly around 40mph. It happened today in Drive switched it to manual upshifted to 5th and no shudder. I put it back in drive and with a little throttle shudder was back. It seems as though the warmer the weather is the more often it happens. Absolutely no shudder when the outside temp reads less then 55. Because of this it makes me wonder if it's an a/f issue. Taking it to dealer monday. I'll post what a find out.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 AM
I have a 2008 G35x and I get the shudder problem as well between 38-42 mph. I try to describe it as the car is starving for gas/power between 38-42 mph. Almost like a chug, chug, chug motion. This problem only ocurs in auto mode. If I switch to manual it does not exist. This is very annoying driving locally because almost all the roads locally are 35mph which I cruise around 40mph and get the shudder. I feel like the car is going to stall because it's starving for fuel.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:12 AM
I just read many of these posts and the description supplied to the "shuddering" - mostly at the cruising speeds of 38-42 MPH. I didn't experience this in my 2007 G35X, but I did in my Nissan Altima 2005 SL with a V-6 engine. Nissan replaced the Valve body - seemed better, but then got worse. My mechanic at the time said, it wasn't the valve body, but probably a bad torque converter - Auto tranny. If I shifted manually, it was better, but I felt mostly cruising in Traffic (NY area has plenty of that) with really abrupt & startling shudders.

My G had hard 3rd gear up shifts, my dealer replaced the valve body last year. It was better, but then developed into a worse situation. Complained about this past January. The situation was worse in the colder weather. They REplaced the entire Tranny. The problem is gone. Only feel a slight jerk into 3rd in Manual Mode. If you play with the throttle, it's better. But in Auto mode, cold or hot, it shifts much smoother. Pepe Infiniti in White Plains has been spectacular Dealer on the Lease side and service side.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi all,
After more than one year (16 months to be precise) and several attempts to have the one and only dealer in the state of New Mexico fix my shudder, still nothing. I get the common response of "we were unable to duplicate the issue" or "I did feel the shudder, but it's normal/within specs". I'm so disenfranchised with the car and dealer, I can't see straight.

That being said, through persistence with the dealer, the transmission valve body was replaced and both the ECU and TCU were reflashed, but with no positive results. Now I need to dump some money into the car for new shoes and brakes, which makes me sad. And, the latest visit to the dealer left me with few options, as they stonewalled me 100% (sorry, nothing wrong with that car).

Unless someone comes up with a magic bullet, I will live with my 2007 G35x with 31,500 miles on it until I sell it or it breaks (I do have the Infiniti extended warranty, but what good is it unless the car actually grenades). A $42k car with so few miles and it behaves like this…so, so disappointing.

However, for what it's worth (are you reading this Nissan?), I will never buy another Nissan as long as I live. Ford did this to me when I was a younger man, and to this day I won't give them the time of day. At this point, I can only vote with my pocketbook and tell everyone I know to beware.

Good luck to everyone in getting your respective issues corrected.

Joe

Old 03-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jc68
Hi all,
After more than one year (16 months to be precise) and several attempts to have the one and only dealer in the state of New Mexico fix my shudder, still nothing. I get the common response of "we were unable to duplicate the issue" or "I did feel the shudder, but it's normal/within specs". I'm so disenfranchised with the car and dealer, I can't see straight.

That being said, through persistence with the dealer, the transmission valve body was replaced and both the ECU and TCU were reflashed, but with no positive results. Now I need to dump some money into the car for new shoes and brakes, which makes me sad. And, the latest visit to the dealer left me with few options, as they stonewalled me 100% (sorry, nothing wrong with that car).

Unless someone comes up with a magic bullet, I will live with my 2007 G35x with 31,500 miles on it until I sell it or it breaks (I do have the Infiniti extended warranty, but what good is it unless the car actually grenades). A $42k car with so few miles and it behaves like this…so, so disappointing.

However, for what it's worth (are you reading this Nissan?), I will never buy another Nissan as long as I live. Ford did this to me when I was a younger man, and to this day I won't give them the time of day. At this point, I can only vote with my pocketbook and tell everyone I know to beware.

Good luck to everyone in getting your respective issues corrected.

Joe

I totally feel your pain!!! I went through the same thing, fortunately my dealership was jus amazing. My tech was determined to figure out the problem even though he considered the shudder minimal. After going through three valve bodies, my tech said the sensor had to be it. Once he changed the automatic transmission temperature sensor bingo, no more shudder since Friday I feel like I'm driving a new car. I can now see myself keeping this as a second car in the new year or so. To everyone dealing with this annoying issue, push for the transmission temperature sensor!!!!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Great post baileyt35, hope jc sees it pronto!!. In my Altima the dealer never went to that extreme of a pursuit of the issue. But I didn't have the time to do that.... Perseverance can payoff... jc should print this out, bring it to his dealer and demand action. if they give you a hard time, contact the District manager of Infiniti. Their main office is in LA. Like so many things in this mechanical world, things don't always work as they should. A good mechanic / technician is priceless.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've recently bought a used '07 G35X (built 05/07). I haven't noticed the 40mph shudder until now .
My shudder seems slight - compared to what has been described here, but it's there nonethless!
The throttle sensitivity TSB has been applied in 08.

I've installed the Black Betty 2nd Gen grounding kit, and it's has DEFINETLY smoothed out the shift (as well the manumatic 2nd-3rd).

Should i print out the shudder TSB, and push for the tranny temp sensor replacement?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by heynow
I've recently bought a used '07 G35X (built 05/07).
I've installed the Black Betty 2nd Gen grounding kit, and it's has DEFINETLY smoothed out the shift (as well the manumatic 2nd-3rd).
Hmm... BB 2nd gen may be my next mod

Old 04-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by baileyt35
I totally feel your pain!!! I went through the same thing, fortunately my dealership was jus amazing. My tech was determined to figure out the problem even though he considered the shudder minimal. After going through three valve bodies, my tech said the sensor had to be it. Once he changed the automatic transmission temperature sensor bingo, no more shudder since Friday I feel like I'm driving a new car. I can now see myself keeping this as a second car in the new year or so. To everyone dealing with this annoying issue, push for the transmission temperature sensor!!!!
Congrats on getting this long-nagging hesitation issue solved! Would it be possible to post the service invoice with the temp sensor replacement? Some of us could use it as leverage in our dealerships...

Old 04-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Great Point Dr.Dima!!

My service advisor hates when i argue with him over stuff he doesn't know
An invoice with comments would be greatly appreciated!

P.S> BB mod is totally worth it when done right (as well as sanding down stock grounds)!!

Old 04-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Another question, how involved was the procedure? Did he have to take the pan off (and/or VB) to replace the temp sensor?

EDIT: Looked @ the FSM, the pan DOES need to come off

It's funny. I was driving on different uphill grades quite a few times yesterday. I was 46 degrees outside, and absolutely no shudder.

I remeber noticing the shudder when it was 80 degrees last week

That doesn't quite prove the temp sensor theory just yet, though

Last edited by heynow; 04-14-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by dohturdima
Congrats on getting this long-nagging hesitation issue solved! Would it be possible to post the service invoice with the temp sensor replacement? Some of us could use it as leverage in our dealerships...

That would help

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shudder at 40mph (~60km/h)