What TPMS Reset Tool to Buy?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
I lived with it for two seasons now... the light on in the dash,,, no biggie! just put my stock wheels back on and within 2 blocks my light is out for the winter........

Old 11-16-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
i did the reset procedure and it worked just fine for me use some thin speaker wire instead of a paper clip, makes things alot easier.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Can someone post the link to the DIY procedure please?

Old 08-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not sure if anyone is still trying to figure out what works for their TPMS. I am using Blizzaks winter tire/wheel package with TPMS from Tirerack in the winter and OEMs with oem TPMS the rest of the year and I have not had issues when swapping between wheels on my 2004 G35. Tire light does not stay on.
I do not have to reset anything or procedure to follow. just swap wheels and done.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 PM
the least expensive full obd tool that can work on asian cars is ITM & will not be available until november @ about $600
al

Old 08-14-2012, 10:19 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by lockon
Can someone post the link to the DIY procedure please?
HERE you go! Better late than never!

Old 11-08-2012, 10:13 AM
K.C
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can a nissan dealer reprogram tpms?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:02 PM
The ATEQ QuickSet tool will absolutely work and is only $150. Will store your summer and winter set IDs. Once stored, you just:

Mount the wheels
Plug the tool into the OBDII
Click Summer (or Winter)
Done!

Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IAPDirect.com
The ATEQ QuickSet tool will absolutely work and is only $150. Will store your summer and winter set IDs. Once stored, you just:

Mount the wheels
Click Summer (or Winter)
Done!
yup! i have the same and works great!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mount the wheels
Click Summer (or Winter)
Done!
So I am clear, this tool reads the id without the requirement of any additional tool required?

Old 12-29-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by celwin
So I am clear, this tool reads the id without the requirement of any additional tool required?
I have no direct experience with it, but a comment made on Amazon made me wonder about initially obtaining the correct ID's

From amazon:

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars

Frustrating, tedious, but works

November 5, 2012
By Gringo
I'd really give it 1-1/2 stars. Bought two years ago for 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe to allow me to change from summer to winter tire/wheel set.

Installed software on a laptop with Windows XP Pro, SP3. Software & USB drivers are not digitally signed, so Vista and Win7 won't like it much. Software is worst part of this operation (see below)

Ateq tool can read your current TPMS sensor IDs from the vehicle computer via the OBD-2 connector, and you can store them in a "summer" or "winter" wheel set in the software. However, you must know the correct TPMS sensor ids (in the correct position) for your new wheels to enter in to software, as this Ateq tool will not put vehicle TPMS system into "learn" mode. (As I learned, this is something the Hyundai dealer can do, for $80-100 a pop, but many independent mechanics and tire centers could not).

Once the correct TPMS sensor IDs are entered, you can fairly easily swap from summer to winter tires. However, the software is very kludgey and has idiosyncrasies like needing a live internet connection and the Ateq tool connected to USB to "verify" installation, or it won't run (prospects not good, if Ateq decides to take their server off-line). It also constantly checks for non-existent software updates (none in the two years since installation). User interface is very poor and I constantly need to minimize and maximize windows in order to get dialog buttons to respond, and occasionally need to restart completely. Dragging the tires in "free rotation" mode is problematic and tedious. "Swapping" tire positions also moves one tire, while erasing the code of the other one. (Need to use native Windows screen shot or write down codes manually, as there is no print option in software). On the plus side, the on-screen instructions for reading old codes via the OBD-2 connector and writing new ones to the vehicle computer seem to be correct, if followed.

Bottom line: it's not good, has a steep learning curve, but I got it to work on my Santa Fe. Now I swap my tires at will, without needing to go to the dealer to get the TPMS reset. It takes nearly as long to mess with the software as it does to change the wheels, but that's still less than half the time (total) I'd spend to have someone else do it. After two swaps, it paid for itself. If you can find a better solution, buy it. But, if you're desperate and stubborn, this can work.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by celwin
For 95% of imports, no additional tool is required.

You can pull down the current IDs via OBDII and set as summer/winter
You can manually enter the IDs for the other or pull those down once they are programmed on the vehicle (by dealer, tire shop, etc).
Once you have both sets stored in the tool, you simply plug it into the vehicle, click the summer or winter button, that's it.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 PM
For 95% of imports, no additional tool is required.

You can pull down the current IDs via OBDII and set as summer/winter
You can manually enter the IDs for the other or pull those down once they are programmed on the vehicle (by dealer, tire shop, etc).
Once you have both sets stored in the tool, you simply plug it into the vehicle, click the summer or winter button, that's it.
**SIGH**

Ok, if you're saying what I think you're saying ...

SO . . . as I understand it, essentially you are confirming that unless you know the ID's of the (new or replacement) set youself, you will need to have them read and/or initially programmed by the dealer or a well equipped tire shop for you, BECAUSE THIS WON"T LEARN THEM for you; they must already have been programmed into the TPMS system for this device to read them . . . meaning you MUST initially get the ID's established from some other additional tool/ equipment. ISN'T that right?

My point is that an unsuspecting person could have a summer set on currently, and a loose winter set which hasn't been programmed in yet, and think that by buying this tool they will have everything they need to complete the job, which is not, in fact, the case.

Please correct me if I am wrong, and I will gladly edit and retract this post. I understand switching back and forth between sets is all good with the device once you get all the IDs, it's for the initial configuring that I'm questioning the requirement for additonal equipment here.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
**SIGH**

Ok, if you're saying what I think you're saying ...

SO . . . as I understand it, essentially you are confirming that unless you know the ID's of the (new or replacement) set youself, you will need to have them read and/or initially programmed by the dealer or a well equipped tire shop for you, BECAUSE THIS WON"T LEARN THEM for you; they must already have been programmed into the TPMS system for this device to read them . . . meaning you MUST initially get the ID's established from some other additional tool/ equipment. ISN'T that right?

My point is that an unsuspecting person could have a summer set on currently, and a loose winter set which hasn't been programmed in yet, and think that by buying this tool they will have everything they need to complete the job, which is not, in fact, the case.

Please correct me if I am wrong, and I will gladly edit and retract this post. I understand switching back and forth between sets is all good with the device once you get all the IDs, it's for the initial configuring that I'm questioning the requirement for additonal equipment here.
Yes, AND no.

What you stated above is one way to get the IDs for your extra set of wheels into the tool. The other way is having the sensor ids documented and manually entering them into the tool (read: type them in). Some dealers store these numbers for you in their system OR write them down for you before they install them on the wheels. If the dealer doesn't have the IDs AND didn't give them to you before installing the sensors, THEN they will have to go your route.

Make more sense?

Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 PM
Make more sense?
Yes, so if the average guy buys a used set of wheels with sensors, and does not get the documentation of what each ID is for each wheel, a very common scenario, then they will need more equipment than this tool alone to complete their installation. Thank you for the heads up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What TPMS Reset Tool to Buy?