Racing Brake Two-piece rotor Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 02:00 AM
You're Despicable

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Question Racing Brake Two-piece rotor Question

Hi Guys, 2 or 3 weeks back I finally got around to installing my RB 2-piece rotors with Hawk HPS pads.

Love the rotors, the whole front end feels lighter and the ride seems smoother over bumpy roads.

I didn't notice that much difference in breaking but I haven't really pushed it to compare.

Now I've done the break in procedure and everything, and last weekend I opened up the wheels to take a look at the pads and rotors to make sure everything was working smoothly.

Now here's my question, well I have 2 questions really.

1- When I'm braking hard from high speed (lets say 100-120km) and trying to bring the speed down to lets say 30km I get a very slight friction feel when the pads make contact with the rotors.
(Friction NOT Vibration)

Now I've never driven with 2-piece rotors and Hawk pads so I wanted to know is this normal?

Under normal braking I don't feel any friction or anything, but if I'm going fast and I need to slow down quickly then I'll feel a slight friction in the pads and rotors (it makes sense since they're slotted and drilled) but I wanna know if others experience the same.

2- When I left my car today I noticed the pad deposit on the rotors and I wanted to see if this is normal. Look at the pic below, you'll see 2 arrows which indicate where the pad has made contact with the rotors, but in the middle there's a gap as if there was no contact between pads and rotors. Now is this normal? lol

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:06 AM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
Old 12-22-2010, 02:48 AM
You're Despicable

Thanks for the feedback but I've already read all that before buying the rotors, that's why I made the choice to buy Hawk Pads (as I was told they're compatible with these rotors).

BUT when I'm asking is, is it normal to have that gap in my pic? where the pad doesn't seem to be making any contact with the rotor?

I'm guessing eventually it will once the pads wear in more but I'm not sure?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
I'm no brake pro, but here's my 2c (or whatever you think it's worth )

If i understand your "friction" comment correctly, then that's likely caused by having hard rotors and hard pad material. I decided against running HPS with the 2pc, but i used to with my old car and i had the same feeling. I also had powerslots then, aggressive braking always made me feel that friction, coupled with what sounded like turbines (my guess is, from the air not escaping fast enough when trapped between pad and slot). I have not experienced it with the RB's on the G, as i'm using OEM pads.

The gap, however, doesn't seem normal. Is this happening on both your rotors, or just one side? If it's just on one, my initial guess is something got trapped there and caused the marks, or the pad itself is not completely flat for whatever reason. Might be worth your while to just check, replace if necessary, then re-bed.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
... or you can try repeating the bedding process, that will eventually flatten out the pads anyway.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
... or you can try repeating the bedding process, that will eventually flatten out the pads anyway.
^ that's what I was thinking.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:46 AM
You're Despicable

Hmmm haven't checked the other side yet lol

I think it would be a good idea to have a look

Thanks for the feedback, I'll do the bedding process again and see if that helps

Old 12-22-2010, 12:04 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
I don't think I've ever experienced this with their rotors. However, one of my front calipers sits slightly lower then the other and a small portion of the pad doesn't touch the rotor either, RB couldn't figure this part out.

Old 12-23-2010, 04:06 AM
You're Despicable

I never had time to try and do the bedding procedure this morning, but I'm going to do it once I leave work and give you guys feedback on what changes.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:24 AM
You're Despicable

I've done the bedding procedure again, I realised i did it wrong the first time around, and today the pad residue seems to be building up on the areas that weren't making contact. I'll see how things are by tomorrow.

Thanks for the help

Old 01-09-2011, 05:38 AM
You're Despicable

Just a quick update for everyone.

After doing the bedding procedure again (the correct way) the pads are making contact throughout the rotors so it seems to have solved the problem I had earlier. Hope this helps anyone who faces the same issue.