G35X Sway Bar Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35X Sway Bar Upgrade

I have a 2007 G35X sedan and want to upgrade the sway bays. Has anyone directly compared changing out the G35X rear sway bay with the G35S sway bar versus changing to the Hotchkis setup? Is it worth the extra cost to go to the Hotchkis setup as opposed to just changing out the rear bar?

Old 12-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Yes they have them. Just contact Dustin at strafe automotive.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:03 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
^Yoshi he's asking about the performance differences of just running the rear G35S sway bar versus running Hotchkis sways.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:37 PM
General rule of thumb w/ suspension is that anything is better then stock.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Agreed. I'm trying to find out which of thetwo alternatives is best. Or more to the point, is Hotchkis worth the difference.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Well, i don't have Hotchkis but i have stillen sway bars and i have notice when i am taking turns on the freeway i have notice the difference.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
Having gone from the G35S bars to the Hotchkis, the difference is pretty huge. And the Hotchkis are only about 350 or so. Unless you can get free S bars, it's not worth it. Also the front bar made the most difference to me as far as body roll on the corners. The rear didn't do a whole lot other than stiffen things up a bit. (I drove for a while with just front front Hotchkis installed before putting in the rear when I had my my exhaust installed).

Old 12-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Rvanderwerf: exactly the perspective i needed; stock g35s compared to Hotchkis. Interesting about your comments on the front bar. Have you noticed less tendency toward understeer? The g35x understeers more than the S. I guess I'm after a true G35XS. What setting have you found best for the Hotchkis? Has there been any adverse affect on ride quality over stock? Thanks for your perspective. I'm also considering trying to upgrade the brakes but that's another thread. Problem is Finding lightweight affordable wheels in right offset non-staggered. I am at a decision point of either upgrading the G35x or trading for an M35/45. Thanks for your help.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:51 PM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by synesis
Rvanderwerf: exactly the perspective i needed; stock g35s compared to Hotchkis. Interesting about your comments on the front bar. Have you noticed less tendency toward understeer? The g35x understeers more than the S. I guess I'm after a true G35XS. What setting have you found best for the Hotchkis? Has there been any adverse affect on ride quality over stock? Thanks for your perspective. I'm also considering trying to upgrade the brakes but that's another thread. Problem is Finding lightweight affordable wheels in right offset non-staggered. I am at a decision point of either upgrading the G35x or trading for an M35/45. Thanks for your help.
1. Roll is WAY better with the front bar (obiously its still a big heavy car, but the different between the sport and Hotchkis is extreme. I'd image the stock bar to Hotchkis would be nuts.
2. yeah it stiffens the car quite a bit, so the ride is a little more harsh now, the wifey thinks bumps are more jarring now. To me it feels like it should now.
3. Fronts of the current gen Hotchkis are not adjustable, only the rears (have 3 settings)

I've never driven an X so I don't have a comparison though. As far as understeer, I don't think there is a lot of difference there. If I turn off VDC I can whip the rear around pretty easy. The VDC activates though when I do that if it's on.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by rvanderwerf
1. Roll is WAY better with the front bar (obiously its still a big heavy car, but the different between the sport and Hotchkis is extreme. I'd image the stock bar to Hotchkis would be nuts.
2. yeah it stiffens the car quite a bit, so the ride is a little more harsh now, the wifey thinks bumps are more jarring now. To me it feels like it should now.
3. Fronts of the current gen Hotchkis are not adjustable, only the rears (have 3 settings)

I've never driven an X so I don't have a comparison though. As far as understeer, I don't think there is a lot of difference there. If I turn off VDC I can whip the rear around pretty easy. The VDC activates though when I do that if it's on.
Thanks. Didn't know that about the Hotchkis. What setting are you using on the rear bar? Also where did you get your LED conversion; that's something I'd like to do as well. Also would appreciate comments on your Hawk brakes.

Last edited by synesis; 12-19-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
before you jump ahead too far what are you trying to accomplish with the new sway bar? What are you lowered on? Do a quick search too, hate to have you drop some $ on something you may not be happy with, I have seen several guys comment on how they hated their aftermarket sways.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by drivethefive
before you jump ahead too far what are you trying to accomplish with the new sway bar? What are you lowered on? Do a quick search too, hate to have you drop some $ on something you may not be happy with, I have seen several guys comment on how they hated their aftermarket sways.
I can feel the understeer in the G35X when cornering even at slow to moderate speeds. I am trying to achieve a more neutral handling. I am using the stock X suspension, and have no desire to lower the car as I need the clearance. I would also like to have crisper steering response which I am hoping the sways will improve. I will likely also add a strut tower bar to stiffen things a bit. I have not seen references to anyone hating their aftermarket sways; what have you seen? Why would they hate them?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
"But whatever you do, resist the temptation to get sway bars. I wish I didn't get the Hotchkis sway set. For a daily driver, there really is no reason and the ride definitely is harsher and jigglier." This is mishmosh's quote on a thread I started this summer in regards to ride quality on different springs. I have seen a few others make similiar comments but can't remember the threads as I did not start them. A mild drop would alleviate some understeer and help cornering tremendously without sacrificing much clearance at all. I, like you wanted a better handling car but did not want to sacrifice ride quality or ground clearance for the winter. I went with a 370z spring drop and was amazed how much a small drop could help, a lower center of gravity really goes a long way with this car. Idk, just think you're jumping ahead with the sways before doing any lowering, others feel free to chime on, just want what's best for synesis.

The following users liked this post:
alicious (01-02-2012)
Old 12-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by synesis
I have a 2007 G35X sedan and want to upgrade the sway bays. Has anyone directly compared changing out the G35X rear sway bay with the G35S sway bar versus changing to the Hotchkis setup? Is it worth the extra cost to go to the Hotchkis setup as opposed to just changing out the rear bar?
Read this thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-bra...ar-sizing.html

Bottom line: do not need to upgrade the front sway on the X, just the rear. X and S have different suspensions; X's front sway is huge but the rear is tinny = understeer. Imho Hochkis rear sway is a good one but replacing stock X rear sway with one from a Journey/Sport (same part) one will do just fine. IMHO, definite improvement in understeer.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:50 PM
So at this point some are very happy with using the stock bar, some are happy with the Hotchkis. Both camps say it's one of the best mods they have done.
So the question in my mind is how much of a penalty would there be in ride quality in using the Hotchkis with stock springs and suspension, versus just using the stock 2wd bar? An is the difference in handling worth the extra money for the Hotchkis? Opinions, especially experience with both options is appreciated.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35X Sway Bar Upgrade