BC BR Coilover Rear adjustment! Need help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 01:44 AM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
BC BR Coilover Rear adjustment! Need help!

ok there is tons of confusion on how to properly set up your right height with BC coilovers for the rear of our cars. I need to lower mine.
I found this link on installation and adjustments http://www.infinitig37.com/infiniti-...coilovers.html but it is not too clear of what he did. A bit misleading for me.
By adjusting the shock height in the back won't lower the car actually like the front does. So what do I need to do exactly? what's the proper procedure?

Can someone help me out real quick and tell me how to adjust the height at the rear.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:50 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
To lower the back- You see those gold perches, move those closer to the perch holer that there surrounded on, like towards the thicker part. In other words away from the spring. Obviously the spring is still gonna stay close to it because its under pressure but essentially your lowering the car. To do this undo the perch thats not touching the spring, might have to use a flat head and hammer if its tight, then when its loose, your gonna be adjusting the one that is touching the spring closer to the one you just loosened and thatll drop it

Old 05-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Originally Posted by jbwrecked
To lower the back- You see those gold perches, move those closer to the perch holer that there surrounded on, like towards the thicker part. In other words away from the spring. Obviously the spring is still gonna stay close to it because its under pressure but essentially your lowering the car. To do this undo the perch thats not touching the spring, might have to use a flat head and hammer if its tight, then when its loose, your gonna be adjusting the one that is touching the spring closer to the one you just loosened and thatll drop it
Yeah I know that preloading the spring will lower the car, so I guess that's actually the only way to lower huh?
So how do we adjust the shock to the proper position after lowering the spring??? I already lowered my shock by like an 1" cause I though before that lowering the shock will lower the car, just like the front does but it doesn't.

So now I need to adjust the shock preload to the spring... and how do we do that????

Old 05-06-2012, 02:46 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I wish I can find those images from way back then but anyways, I'll try to describe this the best I can

1. Dial in the preferred ride height by adjusting the perch rings in the rear. Lower the car off the jack to check the car height. May need to install the shock and installed temporarily but you will remove the lower shock fork bolt afterwards.

2. Jack the car back up. Notice when the car is fulled jacked up, the rear spring may have some play or looseness. Jack up the bottom of the spring bucket just enough(not too much) until the spring has no play or can't be moved/spinned by your own brute strength.

3. you'll noticed that the bottom/lower bolt hole of the shock fork will not align with the arm hole. That's when you will need to adjust the shock's threaded collar to move that up or down.

4. Important step: This is where you adjust the shock collar. You will need to adjust the shock so that the hole WILL NOT align, about 8mm above the hole. In other words, the shock will be about 8mm short.

5. This will require you to jack up the bucket an additional 8mm up to get the shock fork hole aligned. This will preload the rear spring.

Further explanation, the shock is what prevents the spring from fully de-coiling. With the car jacked up, it simulates the fully extended travel. Hope this makes sense.

The following users liked this post:
AARONHL (06-23-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Deezflip
I wish I can find those images from way back then but anyways, I'll try to describe this the best I can

1. Dial in the preferred ride height by adjusting the perch rings in the rear. Lower the car off the jack to check the car height. May need to install the shock and installed temporarily but you will remove the lower shock fork bolt afterwards.

2. Jack the car back up. Notice when the car is fulled jacked up, the rear spring may have some play or looseness. Jack up the bottom of the spring bucket just enough(not too much) until the spring has no play or can't be moved/spinned by your own brute strength.

3. you'll noticed that the bottom/lower bolt hole of the shock fork will not align with the arm hole. That's when you will need to adjust the shock's threaded collar to move that up or down.

4. Important step: This is where you adjust the shock collar. You will need to adjust the shock so that the hole WILL NOT align, about 8mm above the hole. In other words, the shock will be about 8mm short.

5. This will require you to jack up the bucket an additional 8mm up to get the shock fork hole aligned. This will preload the rear spring.

Further explanation, the shock is what prevents the spring from fully de-coiling. With the car jacked up, it simulates the fully extended travel. Hope this makes sense.
ok nice yeahh that actually cleared up some things. But a question arises....

Now in step 3 you said "you'll noticed that the bottom/lower bolt hole of the shock fork will not align with the arm hole. That's when you will need to adjust the shock's threaded collar to move that up or down." and in step 5 you said "This will require you to jack up the bucket an additional 8mm up to get the shock fork hole aligned" ... so the question is so do I adjust the shock by spinning it until the bolt hole aligns, or do I need to jack up the spring bucket to align for the bolt hole??? kinda confusing.

Or I will just need to adjust the shock to a certain point where it's 8-10mm short for the bolt hole, and then I move the spring bucket those additional 8-10mm to preload the spring? right? no?

Old 05-06-2012, 02:48 PM
ok hold on... I think I got it, there is couple different ways to do this. Like you've mentioned and how the guy on this link did http://www.infinitig37.com/infiniti-...coilovers.html ... you guys descrive the same process but in slightly diffident ways, that's' what really threw me off.

I'll go give this a try...

Old 05-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Adjusting the perches on the spring in the spring bucket won't preload the spring. It's gonna have the same spring force/rate as before

Now if it was a true the coil and you were to compress the spring then you would be adding a preload on it. But that's not the case here. The Bly thing compressing the spring is the gravity from the car. Kinda hard to explain lol but yea

Old 05-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by jbwrecked
Adjusting the perches on the spring in the spring bucket won't preload the spring. It's gonna have the same spring force/rate as before

Now if it was a true the coil and you were to compress the spring then you would be adding a preload on it. But that's not the case here. The Bly thing compressing the spring is the gravity from the car. Kinda hard to explain lol but yea
yeahh I hear what you're saying there.

But anyway seems like I got the rears set up. I've adjusted the spring in the spring bucket without taking it out. I just lowered it there and the spring was moving freely there so there was no need to take it out. Then Then I jacked up the bucket to where the I couldn't move the spring by hands and did an additional 10mm with the jack. Then adjusted the shock to the 17mm bolt hole. The thing is my shock actually maxed out right about where it needed to be. Kinda wierd.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:35 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
My bad, didn't get to check up on this thread. But yeah that's right, you gots it...8-10mm should do just fine.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts
Umm is it bad that I didn't touch the shock thing, I just changed the spring height a bit?