2008 Sedan - Rotor/Pad Combo Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Sedan - Rotor/Pad Combo Questions

I have a 2008 Sedan Journey and need to replace the pads and rotors on. I searched and did see that staying away from Hawk pads was a good idea. The car is a DD, but is spiritly driven on the highway so going quickly and stopping quickly are very comman with traffic flow around the DFW area.

Now what I am looking at getting are the EBC Yellow pads with their USR slotted rotors. I could not really find any threads talking about the use of EBC pads and rotors, and just wanted to see if that was a good setup for the car, or not. I did see a couple different brands of rotors and pads mention, but wanted to know if it is truly better to use as they will perform the EBC setup I mentioned. Thank you.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:41 AM
No responses yet, I may end up just being the test monkey for the EBC setup then.

I guess I will throw in all of this as well.
What are the thoughts on R1concepts rotors (either series) StopTech Slotted Rotors (Regular or Cryo-Treated), or DBA 4000 Series T3 rotors. I am assuming that the StopTech rotors are true directional vanes as they are ordered in a left or right configuration.

As for other pad options, I am guessing the pads of choice would be between Akebono ProACT, or StopTech Street Performance; see lots of people mentioning that brand in threads I've searched thorugh.

Thanks again for any and all help.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:34 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Stoptech rotors are directional due to the slots not the vanes.

ProAct - quiet clean softish pad

Stoptech - dusty but more bite and temp resistance.

HPS - not high bite but linear - more pedal = more brake, moderate dust.

Stoptech pads - Centric Premium rotors - good price/dusty but good stopping for a heavy fast car.

-Ken

Old 11-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
KNS is a great brake vendor, and agree about Stoptech pads, VERY happy w/ mine!

Old 11-02-2013, 02:20 PM
Been using Hawk ceramic for a year. Low dust, great bite.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by KNS Brakes
Stoptech rotors are directional due to the slots not the vanes.

ProAct - quiet clean softish pad

Stoptech - dusty but more bite and temp resistance.

HPS - not high bite but linear - more pedal = more brake, moderate dust.
Stoptech pads - Centric Premium rotors - good price/dusty but good stopping for a heavy fast car.

-Ken

I have used Hawk pads in the past, though on a much lighter import car. When you speak of more “pedal” do you mean you just have to push harder than with other pads to get the same amount of braking? Do you think that this also could be helped with a longer and more thorough break in period? I have seen some people have great luck with the Hawks and others say they were bollocks. So I am thinking it is either they replaced the pads to existing rotors or they didn't break them in correctly as that can severally change the characteristics of the pad.

I have always read and been instructed that slots have no bearing on which way rotors go on; it is all about preference of look. NOW if the vanes are directional then it does matter. I have always went with the vanes facing forward; outer edge of slot closer to front bumper, but have seen drawings, diagrams, and studies that say it doesn't matter unless they have directional vanes!?!?

I have been working this over and I am getting ready to order; right now I have a quote for better rotors, StopTech pads, and their SSBL kit for right at $500 shipped. Unless I can be shown a better deal I think that is what I am going to order.

Also, I have used the StopTech rotors and/or pads on my car and on a couple cars I have built they work great; pads are a little bit dusty, but work great.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
HPS pads have low initial bite but a linear torque curve. So more pedal = more brake torque especially as they heat up. This is quite the opposite to many OEM type ceramic pads which have good bite initially but pressing harder doesn't add much and heat just kills them.

This low bite from the Hawk pads drives our Subaru customers nuts as the non - Brembo cars have such mushy brakes to begin with.

The Stoptech pads did help my Forester a lot. The only issues we get w/ those are brake judder and it seems more prevalent in particular vehicles.

If you are looking for a quote just let us know. I'd suggest the Centric Premium's probably over the slotted ones but only because it's less $$.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by KNS Brakes
HPS pads have low initial bite but a linear torque curve. So more pedal = more brake torque especially as they heat up. This is quite the opposite to many OEM type ceramic pads which have good bite initially but pressing harder doesn't add much and heat just kills them.

This low bite from the Hawk pads drives our Subaru customers nuts as the non - Brembo cars have such mushy brakes to begin with.

The Stoptech pads did help my Forester a lot. The only issues we get w/ those are brake judder and it seems more prevalent in particular vehicles.

If you are looking for a quote just let us know. I'd suggest the Centric Premium's probably over the slotted ones but only because it's less $$.
Well since Judder seems to be very prevalent with the G's I wonder if using those pads is going to be a great idea...

I mainly picked slotted due to how the car is driven, and a PM has been sent.

Old 11-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
I have Hawk HPS on my sports brake and I quite like them. I both DD and track with the pads.

moderate dust and good brake feel. I think I already got used the initial bite and i think it's ok. and they stay quiet most of the time.

And the stopping power stay quite consistent as the brake heats up, even at the end of 20 min track session.

I did experienced some slight fainting on the track when air temp gets up to 106F degree, but that's a hot day to begin with.

I might stay with it when its time for replacement, or maybe i would look for something just a little more aggressive. but i worry about aggressive pads wearing out the rotor quicker.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:20 AM
Originally Posted by stockae92
I have Hawk HPS on my sports brake and I quite like them. I both DD and track with the pads.

moderate dust and good brake feel. I think I already got used the initial bite and i think it's ok. and they stay quiet most of the time.

And the stopping power stay quite consistent as the brake heats up, even at the end of 20 min track session.

I did experienced some slight fainting on the track when air temp gets up to 106F degree, but that's a hot day to begin with.

I might stay with it when its time for replacement, or maybe i would look for something just a little more aggressive. but i worry about aggressive pads wearing out the rotor quicker.
I honestly think the pads are great myself since I have used them in the past. I think they carry a different drivability characteristics so they bother some drivers. Also, if they are not bedded in correctly then they will not handle as well either. Just want to explore all options with the car, thank you for the input.