DIY: Clean your throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 11-04-2010 | 02:20 PM
Check the throttle body to see if anything is stuck? Were you able to move the throttle smoothly?

Old 11-04-2010 | 02:36 PM
Yea, I took them on and off several times with no luck. Nothing is stuck, butterflies move smoothly. No leaks anywhere.... The way the car stops at 1500 rpms for a second before dropping down to 750 seems strange. Don't think it has to do with the throttle bodies, might just be a coincidence. Any ideas what else it could be... maybe the intake or exhaust CVTC? No check engine lights so I'm stumped.

Old 11-04-2010 | 05:33 PM
|
Didn't see this earlier. Are you sure the resets worked?

For the closed valve position relearn you need to do the following>

1) Turn ignition switch ON
2) Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds. You should hear the TB valves move during these 10 seconds.

Open up the hood so you can hear it properly. The sound happens quick and a bit faint.

LMK if it works.

Old 11-18-2010 | 04:25 PM
Pretty sure it worked.... everytime you turn the car to the "on" position and then to "off" you can hear the throttle bodies making a mechanical noise. Even when you're doing the steps for the throttle position learning it's making these noises. Is there supposed to be a different noise during this step? I didn't think so but just thought I should ask.

Old 12-27-2010 | 08:04 PM
Plzzzz help !!!!!!!!!!!

i clean my throuttle bodies but after starting the car my RPM is so high all the time
is this ok ??? and sometimes is going upand down
watch both below video
(my bad i disconnect the cable ) (

and

i tried
-----------------
Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning
DESCRIPTION
Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully released position of the accelerator pedal by monitoring the accelerator pedal position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of accelerator pedal position sensor or ECM is disconnected.

OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch ON and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
DESCRIPTION
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning is an operation to learn the fully closed position of the throttle valve by monitoring the throttle position sensor output signal. It must be performed each time harness connector of electric throttle control actuator or ECM is disconnected.

OPERATION PROCEDURE
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch ON.
3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning
DESCRIPTION
Idle Air Volume Learning is an operation to learn the idle air volume that keeps each engine within the specific range. It must be performed under any of the following conditions:
 Each time electric throttle control actuator or ECM is replaced.
 Idle speed or ignition timing is out of specification.
PREPARATION
Before performing Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that all of the following conditions are satisfied.
Learning will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are missed for even a moment.
 Battery voltage: More than 12.9V (At idle)
 Engine coolant temperature: 70 - 100°C (158 - 212°F)
 Park/neutral position (PNP) switch: ON
 Electric load switch: OFF
(Air conditioner, headlamp, rear window defogger)
On vehicles equipped with daytime light systems, if the parking brake is applied before the engine is started, the headlamp will not be illuminated.
 Steering wheel: Neutral (Straight-ahead position)
 Vehicle speed: Stopped
 Transmission: Warmed-up
For A/T models with CONSULT-II, drive vehicle until “ATF TEMP SE 1” in “DATA MONITOR” mode of “A/T” system indicates less than 0.9V.
For A/T models without CONSULT-II and M/T models, drive vehicle for 10 minutes.

OPERATION PROCEDURE

With CONSULT-II
1. Perform EC-42, "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning" .
2. Perform EC-42, "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" .
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Select “IDLE AIR VOL LEARN” in “WORK SUPPORT” mode.
6. Touch “START” and wait 20 seconds.
7. Make sure that “CMPLT” is displayed on CONSULT-II screen. If
“CMPLT” is not displayed, Idle Air Volume Learning will not be
carried out successfully. In this case, find the cause of the incident
by referring to the DIAGNOSIS PROCEDURE below.
8. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle
speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

Without CONSULT-II
NOTE:
 It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.
 It is impossible to switch the diagnostic mode when an accelerator pedal position sensor circuit has a malfunction.
1. Perform EC-42, "Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning" .
2. Perform EC-42, "Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning" .
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.
4. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION (previously mentioned) are in good order.
5. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.
6. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ON and wait 3 seconds.
7. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.
a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.
8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turned ON.
9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the MIL turned ON.
10. Start engine and let it idle.
11. Wait 20 seconds.
12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.
-----------------

but its not getting fix maybe i cant do it this way

if i disconnect the battery it will fix ?
or should i take to dealer

Old 12-27-2010 | 08:28 PM
No its not normal obviously since your car temp is warm enough to have your rpm be around 1k and not 2k. Since you did disconnect the throttle cable you will have to perform the reset procedure for the TB like you listed above, i believe that disconnecting the battery wont help.

Recheck all of your TB connections and then just be calm and patient and try the TB relearn procedure again and again until you get it to work, should not be anything more serious than that unless you left something inside of the TB.

If you cant get it done in a few more tries then you should take it to the dealer as a last resort to get the relearn procedure performed.

Old 12-27-2010 | 08:30 PM
Its all about timing on the relearn process, i did this for my friends G coupe and it took me 3 tries before i got it done right, just be patient and time yourself and you should be fine and then report back, or go to the your regional forum and try to see if someone with experience in your area can help you out first.

Old 12-27-2010 | 08:38 PM
Ok guys I'll keep trying

Old 12-27-2010 | 08:43 PM
Don't panic. Have to get it right. Don't even want to tell u how many tries it took me and I used to be a tech.

Old 12-27-2010 | 09:15 PM
any advise ???
like depress and releasing accelerator has done fast or slow ?

whats is MIL light ?

Old 12-27-2010 | 10:08 PM
Good DIY OP, thanks a million!

I cleaned the TB a month ago w/o removing it. To get in deep and also into the entrance to the plenum, I used the 2 smallest foam paint brushes, the results were pretty good. You can also buy a TB cleaning "snake" that has a sponge-like end. It's about 14 inches long, although you might not want to go in that deep. Everything was wiped down with a microfiber towel afterwards to make sure no moisture was left.

Last edited by Infiniti Chica; 12-27-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-27-2010 | 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by who4ever
any advise ???
like depress and releasing accelerator has done fast or slow ?

whats is MIL light ?
You have to do it quick. You will know it worked as the trottle bodies will start adjusting themselves. You can hear them making a noise as soon as you finish doing the procedure with the gas pedal. Forgot which procedure this is.

Where you located?

Old 12-28-2010 | 12:22 AM
^+1 its hard to explain, but i'm sure you'll figure it out if your try enough times patiently, but like i said before if you're willing to check out your local regional forum or tell us which state you live in, maybe some member in your area who's done this before can help you out, if you live outside US you can try some local forums else if all else fails go to dealer.

Old 12-28-2010 | 04:30 AM
|
who4ever, I'm assuming you live in the middle east, since your coolant gauge reads like mine does.
Anyhow, I suggest you take it to any mechanic shop that has the Nissan Consult system and tell them to do the procedures listed above. That way you know for sure the resets worked. Also, do you have a check engine light?

FYI, you can disconnect the TB harnesses as long as you have disconnected the battery first. I've done it several times, no issues at all. no need to do resets either.

Old 12-28-2010 | 08:28 AM
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
who4ever, I'm assuming you live in the middle east, since your coolant gauge reads like mine does.
Anyhow, I suggest you take it to any mechanic shop that has the Nissan Consult system and tell them to do the procedures listed above. That way you know for sure the resets worked. Also, do you have a check engine light?

FYI, you can disconnect the TB harnesses as long as you have disconnected the battery first. I've done it several times, no issues at all. no need to do resets either.

thanks man
is correct im in UAE
i take the car to nissan dealer to change my plugs and fix this issue ill update u result

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clean your throttle bodies