DIY: Clean your throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Mine starts flashing whenever I turn the ignition on and not start the engine. It eventually stops flashing and stays on solid.
I had an OBDII scanner plugged into the port to clear the code right away as it would throw P1507 (idle higher than expected) every other time as soon as I'd start the car during the procedures. So I'd clear it quick and keep going. I'm not sure if having a code in the system affects the light flashing or not.
I wish I knew more, but I'm just getting into these cars myself. I've only had mine for two months.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am still having the idle problem. I am sure that I got the procedures right because the at the step where the CEL stops blinking. My idle is at 1200 and would slowly increase to 1800. When in drive, the idle would be 800 but is only very high when in park. What to do now?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:29 PM
At the end of procedure C, did it still rev higher than normal at the initial startup?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by G3Sx
At the end of procedure C, did it still rev higher than normal at the initial startup?
Now its steady at 1200 but when in Drive it does down to 800 which its suppose to be even in idle. The RPM is very weird when revving, would hold high RPM for 1-2 seconds then drop and downshifts harsh when coming to a stop.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:35 AM
That's exactly what mine felt like for a couple of days before I ran the relearn procedures. It was most noticeable when coasting down my street before pulling into my driveway. I'd be off the throttle completely, yet the car would accelerate up to 25 mph on its own since the rpms stayed at 1200. It also tripped a P1507 idle higher than expected code.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by G3Sx
That's exactly what mine felt like for a couple of days before I ran the relearn procedures. It was most noticeable when coasting down my street before pulling into my driveway. I'd be off the throttle completely, yet the car would accelerate up to 25 mph on its own since the rpms stayed at 1200. It also tripped a P1507 idle higher than expected code.
That's what happening to me. Do you have any tips for the relearn?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ ok since you are having so much trouble you have a few options:

1) take to dealer to reset idle with comp ($$$$)
2) take to any good local mechanic and they can reset idle with same obd comp, cheaper
3) go to your regional forum and post there for help, some member with experience in your area might be able to meet you somewhere and help you out in return for a drink

Old 04-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
^ ok since you are having so much trouble you have a few options:

1) take to dealer to reset idle with comp ($$$$)
2) take to any good local mechanic and they can reset idle with same obd comp, cheaper
3) go to your regional forum and post there for help, some member with experience in your area might be able to meet you somewhere and help you out in return for a drink
1. I am worried that if I bring it to the dealer it still won't be fixed like a couple of people said here.
2. I will have to give a couple of shops a call to see if they can do it.
3. I will give this a try now.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought this procedure sounded simple till I saw all of these horror posts.... what exactly did u guys do wrong? This is really making me think twice before attempting .... I don't wanna make the same mistake as u guys

Old 04-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Maybe we opened the plate the wrong direction and it messed up some mechanical part inside. Is this possible?

Old 04-19-2011, 02:15 PM
^ not really it can only open one way unless you some how forced it to bend which i have never seen happen, its happening because these TB are electronic and I THINK that ppl are doing something with the TB harness or battery wire that is causing the TB to forget their settings and thus requiring a relearn. Either way even if you "mess up" it should be a simple fix if you can do the relearn process yourself, its tedious but doable in a few tries. i had no issues when i did mine, required no relearn or anything, i did not disconnect any wires at all like the DIY said and was good.

However do at you OWN risk! i take no responsibility for it

Old 04-19-2011, 02:26 PM
^ not really it can only open one way unless you some how forced it to bend which i have never seen happen, its happening because these TB are electronic and I THINK that ppl are doing something with the TB harness or battery wire that is causing the TB to forget their settings and thus requiring a relearn. Either way even if you "mess up" it should be a simple fix if you can do the relearn process yourself, its tedious but doable in a few tries. i had no issues when i did mine, required no relearn or anything, i did not disconnect any wires at all like the DIY said and was good.

However do at you OWN risk! i take no responsibility for it
Ok so I am going to bring it to Infiniti to do the relearn with the computer, should it be fixed instantly or it will kick in a few days? I did the DIY exactly and didn't disconnect anything and they were working fine before the clean. So this should be a simple issue with idle not resorting to replacing the throttle bodies?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 PM
So my idle is at 800 now but it does a harsh down shift when coming to a stop because the RPM would shoot up alittle. What problem is this?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:44 PM
if you are talking about the downshift rev-matching then thats normal and in fact a cool feature to make your car feel more sporty, responsive and helps elongate the trannies life.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 PM
if you are talking about the downshift rev-matching then thats normal and in fact a cool feature to make your car feel more sporty, responsive and helps elongate the trannies life.
I am not sure but it only does it when the car is just about to come to a stop. Not sure if the car is even down shifting but that's what it feels like.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clean your throttle bodies