Cruise Control will set but not engage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 G35X
Unhappy Cruise Control will set but not engage

Hi Guys,
My G will not let me use the cruise control function. when I hit the cruise button on my steering wheel an orange "CRUISE" illuminates on my dash. Then, when I pull the little lever on the wheel towards "set" the other orange light that should say "SET" to the right of the other does not turn on. I checked the cruise control switch above the brake pedal and when im not pressing the brake the button on the switch is pushed in, so I don't think that's the problem. Also, I have tried to look for the fuse for the cruise control and failed to find it. Could you guys tell me where the cruise control fuse is and is there any other issues that could be affecting my cruise control?

Old 01-25-2019, 04:57 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,459 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
There is no external cruise control module it's all handled through the ECM.

Typically it's the switch, if you have a manual transmission you need to check the switch at the top of the clutch pedal, that's usually the issue on a 6MT equipped vehicle.

The SET light is also a finicky piece of crap and it doesn't always work, about half the time I turn on my cruise the SET light never illuminates but the cruise control functions just fine.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 G35X
Dear Cleric,
Thanks for the info! You just saved me a whole lot of trouble looking for a fuse that doesn’t exist! Do you have any advice on what I should do to test if the switch works because it could be something else? Additionally, if I had to buy a replacement switch where and what brand would you recommend.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:19 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,459 Likes on 2,152 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you have a Digital MultiMeter you should be able to just test the switch to verify function. Unplug the harness to probe the contact points on the switch.

First switch your DMM to the OHMS/resistance setting (google ohms symbol if you don't know what it is) now hold the two leads apart and look at the meter it probably reads either 0.0 or says OL (out of limit), this is an OPEN circuit (wires not touching).

Next hold the leads together and the display probably reads 1 ohm, this is a CLOSED circuit (wires are touching).

Now put the probes on the clutch pedal and work the pedal by hand, yeah it's sort of a pain to hold the two leads on the switch with one hand while you work the pedal with the other hand WHILE trying to look at the screen of your DMM, see if the switch goes from open to closed properly. If it does NOT switch it may simply be out of adjustment, there is a threaded end with double locknuts to adjust where the switch is positioned (or you can work it by hand once removed to verify it's function.

If the switch is functioning and you still cannot SET the cruise then I would first put an OBD2 scanner on the car to check for any pending codes.

If you have a slipping clutch on a 6MT the cruise will automatically disengage when rpm's rise +200 over the target rpm per wheel speed ratio.