ALRIGHT... ENOUGH! Lets do this, EXHAUST QUESTION.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALRIGHT... ENOUGH! Lets do this, EXHAUST QUESTION.

So after enjoying my 07G35s for almost a year, I've come to the conclusion that waiting for the aftermarket to come up with a nice sounding, decently priced exhaust is fruitless.

I must admit, I am in search of the old g35coupe sound, I KNOW I WONT GET IT FROM THE Vq35hr, but i like that TYPE of tone...

I've heard the aftermarket systems and here is my opinion.

Stillen, sounds good, Responsible volume, but too muted and deep for my taste.

HKS Nice tone, but still not enough to warrent the price and shipping to canada.

FastIntentions : LOVE IT, while not like the coupe sound, it captures the exotic nature of the vq35hr.BUT WAY TOO PRICEY!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I then came across this video:

Basically, its a guy who did a custom axle back delete.

It screams pretty good, and gives an idea at how effective the mid resonators are at controlling the sound.

IT isn't perfect, but frankly if it were a little more refined, it would be on par with the FAST INTENTIONS exhaust. Some small resonators would fix that (or resonated tips)

But alas, I am still in search of that exotic whirr (A bit of rasp, and a bit of rumble) of the old g35 coupe.

What that video shows us, is that it is possible to search for the right tone via just swapping axle back muffs. Magnaflow I have herd, and it is deep (similar to stillen) and a possible choice. But I am heading in a different direction... get ready to chuckle....

Flowmaster...

Ok quit the laughing. I know, they usually belong on american V8's but heres the thing, since the sound level is quite controlled after the mid pipes, the point of the axle backs is to add the right tone... Flowmaster mufflers are chambered as opposed to glass packed. Chambered mufflers control sound and tone in a different way, where as magnaflow\borla\and other packed mufflers use a packing material to deaden sound... mid-high tones much more effictively and hense the deep muffled sound they are known for... And the old coupe muffler was of the chambered type (albeit with a little packing too).

Still skeptical.

This should eliminate fears of how a flow would sound on our engine...

(poor quality, but see how the flowmaster retains that whirr sound on this 350z, and while raspy, keep in mind this guy has NO RESONATORS or other sound control BUT the flowmasters)

Aha, but thats a different engine than the Hr right? But any 3.5 of similar design will sound similar with a flowmaster...

Lets see if a flowmaster can give that tone to a completely different engine, of a similar size...

Similar huh?

Lets try a maxima with a detuned vq

Still very g35coupe like huh...

And with the dual exhausts, and resonators still in place i think its safe to assume that it would sound much better on a g35. The thing about flows, is that they can get pretty raspy, but since we have the big mufflers in the middle in place, and the axle back delete sounded pretty controlled, then the flows should give us that ellusive tone, without getting raspy like in some of the clips i just posted...

Anyways, i should do the install some time next week, most likely the flowmaster original 40's or super 40's, straight axle back replacement, and retain stock tips...

I would love some feedback though...

Let me know what you think!

Old 05-03-2008, 04:30 PM
If you figure it out let me know. I'd purchase some.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:46 PM
that was my car in the video. You can just unbolt your mufflers in about 20 min. and drive it around and see if you like the sound.

I've also got those muffler delete pipes for sale:

Old 05-03-2008, 07:58 PM
I gotta tell you, I loved the Maxima. That is the sound I am looking for. Very similar to a V8. Just a little more subtle. I did not sound ricey at all. To me it sounded nothing like the G35 coupe which has a higher pitched tone. It's too bad Nissan didn't keep the sound on their sedans. If they were able to get both the G35c and the FX to sound that good, they could have worked it out on the Sedan, or at the very least the G35 S Sedan.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:27 PM
i have a flowmaster exhaust on our murano and it's sound is very similar to that of the older G35 coupes and fx35's with a bit of g37 mixed in. what it is is an 80 series muffler with the stock resonator in place.

here are some vids

cold start

warm start

Old 05-04-2008, 03:26 AM
When you can figure out exactly what to do to get that sound definitely post back. I wish I could help this problem but I'm searching for the same answer that you are. I'm looking for that exact sound.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:48 AM
And all you're planning on changing here is the muffler and not the pipes?

If so, this would be a cheaper option to add more sound, especially since it's difficult to improve the performance of our engines without FI anyway.