My morning at . GTM!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
you gotta remember that the G is running MUCH lower boost than the EP, and has a wider powerband, even under boost.

To top it off, its a 5AT, so it's like powershifting EVERY shift... without the tranny damage.

Even off boost, you still have 100% of the NA g power.... That K20 is probably running on lowered compression, the G is not.

And who said anything about 460whp?
not to mention the more than 1000 lb difference between the EP civic and the G35 sedan LMAO!!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:32 PM
you gotta remember that the G is running MUCH lower boost than the EP, and has a wider powerband, even under boost.

To top it off, its a 5AT, so it's like powershifting EVERY shift... without the tranny damage.

Even off boost, you still have 100% of the NA g power.... That K20 is probably running on lowered compression, the G is not.

And who said anything about 460whp?
calm down, i was just trying to give a comparison on the speed, all because i got a taste of it. I know the 2L is making that power thanks to almost 18psi of boost(compared to what....7psi on the G)

I know the 3.5L v6 will fatten the powerband to double of what the EP 2L has. And with a broader powerband comes much more speed.

I have been there in my sentra, with spray and boost. 12psi on 2.5L was moving good compared to.....15psi on 1.6L hondas-16psi on 2.0L evos-14 psi on 2.4L SRT-4's

ITS ALL THE MORE REASON I WANT IT!

Last edited by IvoryPearl07G; 07-31-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by SDGeneralCounsel
not to mention the more than 1000 lb difference between the EP civic and the G35 sedan LMAO!!

you too. calm down, i expained the weight difference. 2800lbs for the civic. its common knowledge for the G's weight. ALL FOR COMPARISON because i got a taste of 450whp(albeit 800lbs difference in weight)...

and i want it

Old 07-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All I can say is... the car is stupid STOOPID fast.

Terry flew by me so fast on the fwy its not even funny, and the power delivery is so smooth on the AT that you don't realize how fast you're going...

I'd say it'll eat a Z06 given the right circumstances.

I'm sure the car is crazy fast but I don't think it will take a zo6

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/05/1...-on-run-flats/

stock c6 z06 can run a 10.9 1/4. I assume you are talking about highway runs but even then the edge the vette has with its torque will pull a car instantly. Not sure if the G will catch up. But I could see it maybe taking a C6

Old 07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
You haven't lived until you run 30+psi on VP C16

But alas, that was also on 2L and I imagine the VQ has a much more street friendly power band. I would like to know what rpm Terry's car reaches full boost (7psi?) and did they raise the rev limiter?

Old 07-31-2008, 03:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I dont know all the exact details, as I did not actually DRIVE Terry's car, but I did spend about 30 minutes riding in it, as well as seeing it from an outside perspective.

From a roll, I am 100% confident that Terry's car will have absolutely no problem pulling on a C6Z (barring that they do a 5MPH roll, or some ridiculous triple digit roll). Ultimately the C6Z will pull at extreme speeds, but that's a different story.

Also, more PSI does not mean more POWER. Atmosphere is ~14.6 psi. Does that mean 14.6 PSI boost means double power and 29 PSI boost means triple power? No.

Volume is the determining factor; a larger turbo on lower PSI will create more HP than a smaller turbo on higher PSI (among other factors).

Think of it this way. Take a coffee Stir straw and blow as hard as you can. You can get quite a bit of pressure, but you're not moving much air. Now take a McDonald's straw, and do the same thing. You'll notice you can't get anywhere near the same amount of pressure, but you're moving much more air.

Same concept with turbos. The catch is a larger turbo takes more to spool, similar to how you run out of breath much faster with the McDonald's straw, where as you can probably keep blowing for 30+ seconds on the coffee stir.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Right, ever looked at a compressor map? Yes I know that 30psi from a Mitsubishi TD05H16g is going to make less power than a Garrett GT42 at 30psi, regardeless of the engine size.

Given equal conditions (fuel, temp, etc) a 2L and 3.5L both receive 650CFM of airflow at the same a/f ratio, which makes more hp/tq?

Old 07-31-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I got the car back as they promised even though they wanted it for a few more days. I dropped off my rental and hitched a ride with Mike over to GTM around 5:00. We talked to Sam for a little bit and went for a drive. The first thing I noticed was a slight whine from the fuel pump. Unless you knew to listen for it, you wouldn’t know it was there. It was a huge difference from the Holley blue pump I had on my Mustang which by itself was scary sounding. I got on it a few times to get a cursory feel for driving under boost. Again, unless you knew the car was F/I, you wouldn’t think twice about the high pitched whine when you go into boost. Yes, it is fast, it pulls, and hits redline in the blink of an eye.

I can only describe getting my car back as a whole new experience. First off, keep in mind I’ve been driving around in a 4 cylinder Kia sedan for almost 6 weeks now. My G felt literally felt like a new car to me. I forgot how the exhaust sounded, where the car shifts, and even the simple things like how the seats hold you in. And on top of that, factory horsepower has been doubled and it’s got a **** load of new data that I have never seen before let alone fully understand yet … simply overwhelming.

Mike and I left GTM and we went over to meet a few people. I was still babying it on the freeway until I got my feel for the car back. I really didn’t get on it until Mike called up asking for a full throttle pass and let go of the gas … I wonder what all that was about (sarcastically speaking of course). Well, I left it in D and floored it (yes, I know now … bad for the transmission) and past him pretty quick and let go of the gas. I just heard him chuckling over the cell phone. But inside the car, I didn’t hear anything with my windows up and my A/C on.

We got to our destination, had something to eat and hung out for a little while waiting for a few people that ended up not showing. Mike was kind enough to give me a few pointers and things about driving an FI car, how it should shift, and some maintenance tips. I guess to summarize, driving a 5AT car with FI is easy … driving a 5AT car with FI and keeping the transmission healthy takes a little bit more work.

It got late so off I headed back home. I drove in D most of the way, but flipped over to DS a few times to play around. I’m not exaggerating when I say that there is a lot of power on demand. The power comes on instantly, so there really doesn’t seem to be any lag … very seamless making it seem like it came that way from the factory. From a roll in DS, it pulls pretty hard, quickly hitting redline if I’m not careful. I’m still learning when to up shift to avoid hitting the rev limiter.

I briefly read through the manual for the CAMP2 after I got home, but haven’t even had a chance to play around with it yet to change around which gauges I want to display and set some alarm limits on them. Sorry, but I have not had time to do any pictures or videos to share. Sam did tell me they have footage of the car on the dyno so I guess I’ll see them the same time as everyone else (i.e. hurry up and post those videos!). On the road, the car sounds totally N/A during normal driving. The BOV does “whoosh” very quietly from inside the car, but I haven’t heard it from outside the car myself. The only tell tale sign from outside the car that it is F/I is the intercooler. It seems to make the car look like its “smiling”.

Because I was going to be out of town … I agreed to bring the car back to them next week so they can do a few more things to finish and clean up the installation a little. They did not get a chance to play around with the factory ECU yet. In my purely F/I noob layman’s terms, the factory ECU is trying to override the F-Con iS parameters. This is not something I noticed while driving it, but is easily seen through GTM’s instrumentation. They also have not had a chance to re-aim the ICC sensor. They were also not able to get a 100 octane tune out of it because the fuel system is pretty much maxed out. Give me some more time to get used to the car and I’ll add to this what I learn down the road. BTW … I had to get gas before I got on the freeway to work this morning.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:20 PM
Sooo... is it just me, or who cares about the technical stuff he has the fastest g sedan and thats all that matters where the heck are you terry?! im so anxious i cant even think about anything else but whooosh! forget it ill just pm or call you!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:25 PM
^^oh there you go!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:53 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by terrycs
I got the car back as they promised even though they wanted it for a few more days. I dropped off my rental and hitched a ride with Mike over to GTM around 5:00. We talked to Sam for a little bit and went for a drive. The first thing I noticed was a slight whine from the fuel pump. Unless you knew to listen for it, you wouldn’t know it was there. It was a huge difference from the Holley blue pump I had on my Mustang which by itself was scary sounding. I got on it a few times to get a cursory feel for driving under boost. Again, unless you knew the car was F/I, you wouldn’t think twice about the high pitched whine when you go into boost. Yes, it is fast, it pulls, and hits redline in the blink of an eye.

I can only describe getting my car back as a whole new experience. First off, keep in mind I’ve been driving around in a 4 cylinder Kia sedan for almost 6 weeks now. My G felt literally felt like a new car to me. I forgot how the exhaust sounded, where the car shifts, and even the simple things like how the seats hold you in. And on top of that, factory horsepower has been doubled and it’s got a **** load of new data that I have never seen before let alone fully understand yet … simply overwhelming.

Mike and I left GTM and we went over to meet a few people. I was still babying it on the freeway until I got my feel for the car back. I really didn’t get on it until Mike called up asking for a full throttle pass and let go of the gas … I wonder what all that was about (sarcastically speaking of course). Well, I left it in D and floored it (yes, I know now … bad for the transmission) and past him pretty quick and let go of the gas. I just heard him chuckling over the cell phone. But inside the car, I didn’t hear anything with my windows up and my A/C on.

We got to our destination, had something to eat and hung out for a little while waiting for a few people that ended up not showing. Mike was kind enough to give me a few pointers and things about driving an FI car, how it should shift, and some maintenance tips. I guess to summarize, driving a 5AT car with FI is easy … driving a 5AT car with FI and keeping the transmission healthy takes a little bit more work.

It got late so off I headed back home. I drove in D most of the way, but flipped over to DS a few times to play around. I’m not exaggerating when I say that there is a lot of power on demand. The power comes on instantly, so there really doesn’t seem to be any lag … very seamless making it seem like it came that way from the factory. From a roll in DS, it pulls pretty hard, quickly hitting redline if I’m not careful. I’m still learning when to up shift to avoid hitting the rev limiter.

I briefly read through the manual for the CAMP2 after I got home, but haven’t even had a chance to play around with it yet to change around which gauges I want to display and set some alarm limits on them. Sorry, but I have not had time to do any pictures or videos to share. Sam did tell me they have footage of the car on the dyno so I guess I’ll see them the same time as everyone else (i.e. hurry up and post those videos!). On the road, the car sounds totally N/A during normal driving. The BOV does “whoosh” very quietly from inside the car, but I haven’t heard it from outside the car myself. The only tell tale sign from outside the car that it is F/I is the intercooler. It seems to make the car look like its “smiling”.

Because I was going to be out of town … I agreed to bring the car back to them next week so they can do a few more things to finish and clean up the installation a little. They did not get a chance to play around with the factory ECU yet. In my purely F/I noob layman’s terms, the factory ECU is trying to override the F-Con iS parameters. This is not something I noticed while driving it, but is easily seen through GTM’s instrumentation. They also have not had a chance to re-aim the ICC sensor. They were also not able to get a 100 octane tune out of it because the fuel system is pretty much maxed out. Give me some more time to get used to the car and I’ll add to this what I learn down the road. BTW … I had to get gas before I got on the freeway to work this morning.
I'm glad you are enjoying the car terry

sam

Old 07-31-2008, 05:07 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by LiquidGx
Right, ever looked at a compressor map? Yes I know that 30psi from a Mitsubishi TD05H16g is going to make less power than a Garrett GT42 at 30psi, regardeless of the engine size.

Given equal conditions (fuel, temp, etc) a 2L and 3.5L both receive 650CFM of airflow at the same a/f ratio, which makes more hp/tq?
If both engines are combusting identical amounts of fuel under identical conditions with identical efficiency, then output will be identical as well.

Given that, the engine with the combination of lesser friction and (to be simple), lesser rotational mass would make more power and torque. Friction would be the combined surface area of the pistons against the cylinder wall, factoring in clearance, etc etc etc. Rotational mass would RPM. Less friction with more RPM could amount to the same amount of loss as more friction with less RPM.

Bleh too much theoretical discussion.

Bottom line is, Terry's car is putting out enough power to laugh at a 911 turbo.

Terry's forged the way. Who's next?

Old 07-31-2008, 05:18 PM
this is so tight. congratulations terry, you have the sickest G sedan in the world!

Old 07-31-2008, 05:25 PM

Who's next?
Hey Mike, if your buying, I'm flying. HAHAH

Congrats Terry, would love to see/feel, but im in JERSEY. Going to Vegas in 3 weeks, then I'll be much closer.

Thanks for taking the plunge Terry, and showing all of us what we would do if we had the $$$$$$$$$$. I know if i happened to get a 15 K bonus randomly, my car would be on its way to GTM as we speak. unfortunately, I didnt get said bonus, therefore I am still N/A. Wondering what the $$$, #'s on a single turbo would be, as well as what the negatives of a SC would be.

Anyone care to comment on any of those thoughts?

In closing-----I'M FUC#!NG JEALOUS.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:26 PM
thats great to hear terry
again congrats and like the armenians say (dont wear it down) but in armenian obviously lmao
hoepfully ill see ur car at a meet or somethin someday cuz ur car looks sick

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My morning at . GTM!