My morning at . GTM!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:13 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
I'm starting to get questions so I thought I would update you guys.

GTM is still trying to figure out the smoking issue. The car occasionally smokes while at idle, even after "normal" driving. They have ruled out engine problems. They have checked the oil lines to make sure oil flows to and from the turbos without problems. The installation is perfect. They have narrowed it down to possible turbo problem or possibly something to do with exhaust pulses.

To narrow down the problem, Fast Intentions is building a set of straight pipes to temporarily bypass the center x-over muffler. Now that the two sides are isolated, smoke consistently coming from one side would tend to indicate a possible bad turbo.

GTM was also planning on installing the stock exhaust from the TP back for testing. If the smoking stops, it could possibly indicate exhaust issues.

From all the reading I've been doing, in the FI forums ... if the rate of oil flow and oil pressure to the turbos are correct, I would guess one of my turbos has a questionable seal. Also, they have sold maybe a dozen TT kits now with no other cars smoking but mine. So ... I'll wait and see what the experts come up with.

On the positive side, the VB upgrade is in and production downpipes were put in.

I think the total time GTM has had my car is between 3 and 4 months now.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:16 AM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Terry sorry your having those setbacks, hopefully you get your beast of a ride back soon so you can enjoy driving it.

Old 10-02-2008, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by CandlestickPark
Terry sorry your having those setbacks, hopefully you get your beast of a ride back soon so you can enjoy driving it.
Thx ... I guess its all part of being the prototype.

Old 10-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
I'm sorry that you have to go through all these troubles, Terry. I just hope that GTM sets everything straight and make everything 100% functional to make up for all the down times you had to deal with.

Good luck with everything and please keep us updated.

oh and.... this thread deserve a..... BUMPAGE!

Old 10-02-2008, 03:11 AM
teamsolo.net im-integline
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i would want a discount. tell them to try differnt turbos to. This is getting sad.

best of luck

Old 10-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my first thought would of been the turbo's oil seal. those things tend to go out....especially if oil backs up in the return line like it did on my previous car that was boosted with a bolt on kit. a few other friends car smoked the exact same way, and they have all been turbo oil seals.

i am sure it is correct, but make sure the oil returns are completely downhill back to the crank case with no major bends or elbows.

good luck terry, i am sure GTM will set it straight, there is a lot of reputation on the line with your car.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i was just at gtm and saw you car there man they have so many cars there is not even funny..hope you get your car back soon

Old 10-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
Hey Terry... good Luck on the problem solving... hopefully the guys get it checked out and determine what the problem is!

Old 10-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hopefully they get it right, T! I would love to have TT installed in my G!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wait, T, did you have them secretly install a smoke-screen option like Knight Rider. Terry, you sneaky bastard! HA! Seriously, good luck troubleshooting. Sure it will all pay off my friend.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow Terry I admire you patientence...any updates?

Old 10-12-2008, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by silver g
Wow Terry I admire you patientence...any updates?
I’ll be calling GTM for daily updates and status. If I would have known this would have taken FOUR MONTHS, I would have never agreed to do it.

Last edited by terrycs; 10-12-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by solopresident
i would want a discount. tell them to try differnt turbos to. This is getting sad.

best of luck
hmmm

Old 10-12-2008, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by IvoryPearl07G
my first thought would of been the turbo's oil seal. those things tend to go out....especially if oil backs up in the return line like it did on my previous car that was boosted with a bolt on kit. a few other friends car smoked the exact same way, and they have all been turbo oil seals.
That would be my thought as well with the number of systems installed and running on both HR and VHR motors. Assuming proper oil delivery, it would make sense that it is a component problem (turbo seal), but again, I'll leave the diagnosing to the experts.

I am sure it is correct, but make sure the oil returns are completely downhill back to the crank case with no major bends or elbows.
The drains are definetly going down hill and exiting above the oil level without bends.

good luck terry, i am sure GTM will set it straight, there is a lot of reputation on the line with your car.
I'm sure they will get it right, but the down time is killin' me.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
I’ll be calling GTM for daily updates and status. If I would have known this would have taken FOUR MONTHS, I would have never agreed to do it.
Considering you are a prototype customer I would think GTM would in essence "sponsor" a portion of the build...and maybe kick you back some money.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My morning at . GTM!