My morning at . GTM!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
My G is the DD as well.
What type of mileage increase/decrease are you seeing with the new additions? (though I guess depending where you do most of your driving that would make a difference on the mileage)

Old 08-18-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by StoutAg35
What type of mileage increase/decrease are you seeing with the new additions? (though I guess depending where you do most of your driving that would make a difference on the mileage)
I actually have not computed my "real" mileage yet. I'm still on my first full tank after getting it back from GTM. I'll get it filled up before I bring it back to them this Saturday, but I'm sure the car will undergo testing and possibly a few dyno runs which will skew the mileage down a bit.

Interestingly, the MPG display is showing around 30 MPG during fwy cruising. This is obviously incorrect now because of the larger injectors on the car. I guess I should figure out if this can be calibrated.

The A/F ratio is solid around 14.7, so I would imagine the mileage will not be adversly affected as long as it is not in boost where more fuel is being crammed into the cylinders to match the added air volume.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:25 PM
My G is the DD as well.
How'd u get around for over a month when the car was in the shop? I live in Louisiana, so it'd take a LONG time to get my car back if i were to ship it to cali, plus i wouldn't be able to be around to check up the progress.... Ah i'll just drive my G the way it is, and save up for a stock car that's fast....

Old 08-18-2008, 03:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Terry, were you in Savi Ranch today in Anaheim? My buddy with the M6 told me he saw a blue G35 with a fat intercooler... I told him to be afraid! LOL

Old 08-18-2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by KulG35
Terry, were you in Savi Ranch today in Anaheim? My buddy with the M6 told me he saw a blue G35 with a fat intercooler... I told him to be afraid! LOL
Yea, I work around there. I would normally notice an M6, but I guess I must have missed him.

Old 08-19-2008, 01:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by KulG35
DOMO

I gave them a D to 3 downshift on the fwy, then floored it ... yes, they freaked out.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Savi Ranch, that's close to where I work too! Lunch mini meet, Terry?

Old 08-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by befree112
Savi Ranch, that's close to where I work too! Lunch mini meet, Terry?
I always hear of a lot of G guys in Anaheim Hills area.... but never meets here... LAME!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 AM
You have a very very sick G... Congrats
Just bought a townhouse, so I guess this mod will have to wait!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Everyone will be jealous at the BBQ!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually have not computed my "real" mileage yet. I'm still on my first full tank after getting it back from GTM. I'll get it filled up before I bring it back to them this Saturday, but I'm sure the car will undergo testing and possibly a few dyno runs which will skew the mileage down a bit.

Interestingly, the MPG display is showing around 30 MPG during fwy cruising. This is obviously incorrect now because of the larger injectors on the car. I guess I should figure out if this can be calibrated.

The A/F ratio is solid around 14.7, so I would imagine the mileage will not be adversly affected as long as it is not in boost where more fuel is being crammed into the cylinders to match the added air volume.
It's all how you drive it. Gas consumption is probably the least on your mind with the added power.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:11 PM

Due to the number of PMs I’m getting, I thought I would take a moment to update this thread with the status of the car. I realize some of you don’t venture into the So Cal meets section because I had my car at the last big BBQ meet. Because the BBQ was so close to GTM, Alan and I made arrangements to drop it off over there after the BBQ.

There are a couple of minor issues that needed to be taken care of. The most obvious one was smoke coming out of the exhaust. I thought it was a small leak coming from the oil line to the turbos. The last I heard, GTM pretty much took everything apart to see if that was the case, but I was recently told all the hardware and connections were fine. They played around with moving some lines, but I don’t have all those details yet and probably won’t until they find the root cause and solution.

We also decided to go ahead with the valve body upgrade now to firm up the shifts and reduce the chance of transmission problems with this much HP. While doing the work on the transmission, they found particulates in the pan and I had to decide if I wanted them to tear down and rebuild it right now, or button it up with just the shift kit mod. GTM said some particulates are normal, so this might just be normal wear and tear, but there is no way to know without cracking it open. I decided not to go for a full rebuild right now by rationalizing that I haven’t really been driving it that hard. A full rebuild is also not in my budget at the moment so I’ll wait to get it done if/when the transmission fails (fingers crossed).

The other minor details include the engine cover being a little too high where the piece for the fuel system was added causing it to rub into the hood liner. I’m also hoping they have the time to work on their ECU reflash.

There are significant differences between the G37 that GTM has already done and the G35. Enough so that this should have really been considered a prototype build which is why things took so long. All in all, taking into account the complexity and technical challenges of the install, I would consider the outcome a success with the only serious problem being my checkbook getting a lot lighter! Now only time will tell how reliable the car really is but since I don't run in boost all the time, I think there will be a happy ending.

Also, sorry for not getting any videos for those asking … I didn’t want push it until the transmission work was done and the smoking was taken care of. As for pictures, I don’t have anything decent and the car looks pretty much the same as before the TTs were installed so I haven’t been in a rush to take any pictures myself. It’s probably time to let an expert do their thing, so I’ll be hitting up one of our local photography guys soon. In the mean time, here is the last amateur shot I took while at the BBQ meet.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:55 PM
teamsolo.net im-integline
man terry they should be hooking you up since this is taking so freaking long. its just nuts. I know its a lot of owrk and you don't want to rush something like this but man, this is a lot of down time.

Ihope you bought a beater instead of renting one?

Old 09-12-2008, 04:28 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
well good to hear that the car is getting done right

Old 09-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Wow, nice picture Terry! If you'd post a picture with your car in it, that would be cool too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My morning at . GTM!